Fred's Sports In Waldorf, MD Doesn't Need My Money...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've had some bad experiences at Fred's, just like most folks.
    I even had Fred (yes, 'the old man'!) tell me that he didn't need my money, back in '83, when I bought my Remington 1100 Magnum.

He was over $100.00 higher than anyone else in Charles or P.G. County.

I've been back in Fred's less than 5 times, in the last 30 years.

My son and I both bought archery gear from Fred's.
    They had the bow(s), and the prices were a little bit less than the competition.
    "Danny" is one heck of an archery guy. He KNOWS his stuff.
    He took a lot of time with my youngest son, and set his bow up....... RIGHT.

One of the girls behind the checkout counter goes to school with my son, and she is extremely nice.

I will NOT buy anything firearm related from Fred's. Not even powder. No primers.
    Too expensive, and they act like they're doing you the favor by allowing you to come into their store.

I suppose they're all independently wealthy and just keep that business open to do us all 'favors'.:innocent0

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'll agree with you on a few points byf43. I do buy my powders from there only because their prices are the same as everyone elses locally. I'm not going to pay HazMat fees to have it shipped when it's on 20 minutes away in Waldorf. As for primers, I have been buying my primers there since I got back in to reloading because they are cheaper than anyone else.

I have also bought several guns from them, including shotgun, muzzleloader, and revolvers, because they are local and the prices on what I wanted was cheaper than anyone else in the area. However, I WILL NOT buy any ammo from them because their prices seem to be higher than everyone else. I am extremely upset over the shotgun primer episode and I do not understand that "policy" and I didn't care for being lied to about the "policy".

I will be getting my powders and primers from Bob at Maryland Reloader if all goes well. He is only 10 minutes away and seems to be a gas saver if nothing else. I have not been to his place in about 15 years, but, I am not loyal to anyone. I go where the right price, deals, and convenience is.

I also don't seem to have ever experienced the rudeness of the salesmen that other claim. This kid that answered the phone Saturday morning was that exception. I was, and still am, baffled by that conversation.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    So as part of her NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course, my daughter is supposed to do the actual range portion at Fred's (I think). She is required to use Fred's ammo. It seemed from the other thread regarding the raid, that Fred's is no longer requiring ammo purchasers to log into the book. Can anyone confirm they are no longer doing this? I really don't want her to provide all that personal info just to buy a box of 9mm.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    So as part of her NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course, my daughter is supposed to do the actual range portion at Fred's (I think). She is required to use Fred's ammo. It seemed from the other thread regarding the raid, that Fred's is no longer requiring ammo purchasers to log into the book. Can anyone confirm they are no longer doing this? I really don't want her to provide all that personal info just to buy a box of 9mm.

:shrug: Sorry. I have no idea. I've never even looked at Fred's range. :shrug:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well I went over and visited with Bob for a while this evening. I came back with a 4 pounder of Hodgdon Clays and 1000 box of 209 primers. I got what I needed and didn't have to deal with Waldorf and even saved about $20.00 overall. Oh well guess I'll have to let that young fella at Fred's know what I bought tonight.

OH and by the way, Bob said I could buy all 3000 primers he had left if I wanted them. I declined.

Total bill was $154.00 ( with + $3.00 Shipping + Tax )

I'll assume the "shipping is a break down with HazMat fees...

Attachments

• maryland reloader.jpg
      maryland reloader.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 288

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Funny you brought that up! I love referencing this thread anytime someone brings up Fred's... Check out post #173

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1918670#post1918670

Soon after that happened I heard about it through the grapevine. While I was in Annapolis back in Feb I believe I watched that gentleman testify before Frosh detailing the freightening events of that night. For his sake it is good he didnt answer the door.with a gun in his hand.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Soon after that happened I heard about it through the grapevine. While I was in Annapolis back in Feb I believe I watched that gentleman testify before Frosh detailing the freightening events of that night. For his sake it is good he didnt answer the door.with a gun in his hand.

Heard the same testimony. I refuse to give that place any buisness even IF they are no longer doing it. If they supported the ammo log program who knows what else they would do with your info.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Well I went over and visited with Bob for a while this evening. I came back with a 4 pounder of Hodgdon Clays and 1000 box of 209 primers. I got what I needed and didn't have to deal with Waldorf and even saved about $20.00 overall. Oh well guess I'll have to let that young fella at Fred's know what I bought tonight.

OH and by the way, Bob said I could buy all 3000 primers he had left if I wanted them. I declined.

Total bill was $154.00 ( with + $3.00 Shipping + Tax )

I'll assume the "shipping is a break down with HazMat fees...

I have done biz with Bob for well over thirty years way back when I would buy from him at the Greenbelt Gun Show. I was never overcharged by him or his wife, I don't know what Bob payed for that 4 lb of Clays but you over payed about 25.00 it should have been around 72 to 76 dollars.

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    Powders I see are going for about $22 to $29 a pound. If you know where a 4 lb is cheaper, please let us know. Also that 4 lb of clays would have been mine had he not held it for you SOMDSHOOT. (Didn't know you were the customer he was holding it for.)

Bob is a cool guy, and I got some #5 instead. Definitely will be my go to guy for stuff.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    If your a regular customer you should be voicing your displeasure with their management.

F Fred's employees and management. They're all one and the same. Same sh!t different day. I've been to Fred's a handful of times since I was 15-16 years old and the d-bag attitudes have never changed. Since Waldorf has already gone to sh!t hopefully their business will too.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have done biz with Bob for well over thirty years way back when I would buy from him at the Greenbelt Gun Show. I was never overcharged by him or his wife, I don't know what Bob payed for that 4 lb of Clays but you over payed about 25.00 it should have been around 72 to 76 dollars.

Well this is why I posted the picture of the price tag and the cost of the primers. I was just waiting for someone to tell me I paid too much. Sort of helps weed out who gets scammed and who gets treated well. Positive side is, he had the powder and the primers, and didn't tell me I could only buy 100 primers.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Powders I see are going for about $22 to $29 a pound. If you know where a 4 lb is cheaper, please let us know. Also that 4 lb of clays would have been mine had he not held it for you SOMDSHOOT. (Didn't know you were the customer he was holding it for.)

Bob is a cool guy, and I got some #5 instead. Definitely will be my go to guy for stuff.

Same here on the price per pound. Everything I have been getting from Fred's is always $24.99 or $29.99 I use Hodgdon Clays, HS-6, H-110, and H-4350. None of them have been more than $29.99 / Lb.

I noticed most of the 1 pound jars Bob had was $31.00 or more. Then he charges a $3.00 shipping fee, Plus Tax, so, one pound costs you $34.00 + Tax. That's $4 - $5.00 more than Fred's, but, Bob has powders. Many powders. I was impressed with his stock, but, he's not cheaper than Fred's.

As a side note I let the $3.00 Shipping slide without question. I figure If I paid $3.00 for a HazMat charge on a 4 pound jug of powder that's a whole lot better than paying $15.00 to $27.50 for a pound like most places charge. $3.00 is a big favor the way I see it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom