So Freds in Waldorf is building a gun range.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

alpha2delta

Sep 7, 2011
    Been shooting at Myrtle Grove and Md Small Arms.
    Can't wait for the range at Fred's to open up.
    Was in today and was told it should be open any day
    as they are waiting on one final inspection. A safe place
    to shoot with good ventilation means alot to me and my family.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County

Especially since Fred's is putting food on your table. Or perhaps a family member's table.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.

Yea, sure. It is especially great that you need to watch their stupid safety video prior to using their range with their ammo...NOT!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I work in Waldorf quite often. I like to frequent the gun strores in the area when I get an extra minute.

A long time ago, before I knew better, I purchased a $200. DPMS stripped AR lower from them. (my first)

When I found out how much they really cost, I was F*cking pissed.

I bought ammo from them and had to sign the log. I got thinking about how odd it seemed to sign for ammo and posted it up here. Found out it was a voluntary program and people have been raided unjustly for it.

I will never buy firearms or ammunition from Fred's again.

Mark from Accurate Guns and Ammo and Brian from KeepShooting are the only people I know in the area to give a fair deal and friendly service.

The Tackle Box may as well be Fred's second location as far as I'm concerned. Feels like the same place and attitude. Both owners are carnys and they feel their customers are rubes. To hell with both of them. More over-inflated firearms and ammunition for you.

Thats what I expect from any gun dealer...but if you dont know they seem out to rip you off especially Fred's.

to shoot with good ventilation means alot to me and my family

And you think Waldorf is the place?:lol2::lol2:Thats classic!

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac

At least u eat ur own dogfood by spending ur money at Fred's. you should really consider reading the thread about the raid and the fact that Fred's was the shop (post 138) that the ammo log was used at. If u want safety for ur family consider how u would feel with a midnight wake up call from MSP.

I do not understand all the MDS members on here that keep saying "if there are other option in Waldorf"... WAKE UP THERE ARE. Keepshooting and accurate guns and ammo in loveville are my favorites! Fred's is for the uneducated firearms enthusiast who want to pay MSRP OR HIGHER!

I have an axe to grind with them and i admit it ( they ripped my kid off on paintballs once) but just take a look at all of these complaints!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To give them their due , I have seen the range , and it is nice, albeit 50 foot. The next acid test is the ventalation with all lanes in use.

Brian is the Man , and Keepshooting is outstanding for what he does. By his own admission he ois not a full line full service gun store , and walk up access for the public is not in the cards.

Accurate seems like a good pace. But it's 30mi away , and only open part time.

It would be great to have a full time , full service alternative to Fred. But there hasn'tso far ever been enough demand to support two full service pure gun stores in Waldorf. During the Lou Dillon era Fred made his bread and butter from western wear and oak furnature , and the guns were just a hobby. In the modern Fred era , Wolfe Enterprises came closest , but still fell short.

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    Fred's Sports is the #1 Firearms Dealer in Southern Maryland.
    And will for sure be the #1 Shooting Range as well.
    The ammo log is no longer being used at Fred's but was
    only feared by people with a criminal background or people
    who think that someone is out to get them.
    Try to not blame others for the mistakes that you have made
    and please just don't listen to the voices in your head. It's ok. Lol !!!

OK Here we go why don't you post a list of all the guns or at least calipers that you own along with your home address and phone number . Cause once you put that information onto an unregulated list you have announced to the world or at least to some kid that works in a gun store what youv'e got.
    That is the problem that the members here have with the ammo list. We are not criminals and we follow the laws.if a gun shop-or a grocery store has a rule that we don't like we will not shop there and we will tell our friensa about that rule and our feelings toward it

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County

I find it curious that you have 10 posts and they are ALL in this thread. No interest in any other thread, not even the "introductions" thread. That is an activity pattern that screams troll, but you go ahead with your bad self. Have a good time at Freds, I won't be in your way there and you won't be in my way where I shoot.

alpha2delta

Sep 7, 2011
    Is it so hard to understand that I have been treated very well
    at Fred's Sports. I have been dealing with them since 1985.
    And no I don't nor does my family work for Fred's but we do
    purchase all of our guns,ammo,and other supplies from Fred's.

If they were out to get everyone as many of these posts say
    how do you explain the fact that they are always busy and that
    they are still not only open but expanding in a bad economy.
    Because they have a loyal following and have for years !!!

I respect everyones right to there opinion and hope that
    they respect mine as well.

And I do thank you all for reading my posts.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County

yes, it is hard to believe. For the one person I have heard of (you) that has gotten good service in and enjoys doing business with freds, I have talked to MANY more and been mistreated myself in that store.
    For myself, I called 6 weeks after filling out the paperwork for a pistol and was very rudely told that "we'll call you when you paperwork is back" and hung up, The jack a$$ that answered the phone didn't even give me a chance to explain the problem.
    They overcharge for thier firearms and ammo, if you don't beleive me go into another store and ask them the price on a pistol and compare it to freds/
    Ask them to match a price that you find some where else, see what they say. I doubt they will work with even you, thier most loyal customer.

Last edited:

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac

Go get your receipts out and compare it to other prices... It will most likely make you think differently. The 100 transfer fee is also a red flag to a place that is just there to get as much out of your wallet as possible.
    Every time i see the got guns sticker i pretty much look at it as " that poor bastard bought a gun from Freds" i wonder how much extra they paid.

Shop around. It will be eye opening. Or, just go back behind the counter there and troll on message boards pretending not to be associated with that horrid eatablishment.

Gatekeeper

Jan 18, 2010
    Fred's Sports is the #1 Firearms Dealer in Southern Maryland.
    And will for sure be the #1 Shooting Range as well.
    The ammo log is no longer being used at Fred's but was
    only feared by people with a criminal background or people
    who think that someone is out to get them.
    Try to not blame others for the mistakes that you have made
    and please just don't listen to the voices in your head. It's ok. Lol !!!
    FYI: I, Have NO criminal Record, am prior law enforcement, corrections, and have had so many Backgrounds done on me that just inputting my Food Lion Loyalty Card will produce my life history. I also hold the usual licenses, designations, and permits from various Authorities. However, that served no purpose in avoiding a 12 midnight visit by the MD Firearms Interdiction Unit, 6 member SWAT TEAM (whom had not completed ANY intelligence gathering prior to raiding my home), simply because I, being a "good" citizen SIGNED that DAMNED Roster at Fred's, which included information from my DL, in order to purchase ammunition. So please don't preach to the choir about that which you know nothing about. We were here, and it DID happen to US. Anyone who signs ANYTHING and/or produces ID simply to purchase ammunition in this State (after being forewarned), is a Damned Fool just like we WERE. It was a "Failed Fishing Expedition" at best. For years and years we had viewed Police as assets and friends, and we STILL do. However there is a NEFARIOUS ADMINISTRATION at work here that is directing these schemes, and probably continues this childish antic and others.
    So, Mr. Blah, Blah, Blah, don't speak so fast and stereotype that which what you know nothing about. I hope your Thanksgiving Turkey get's Burnt.

Gatekeeper

Jan 18, 2010
    Seankar-
    Please see my post # 173 to alpha2delta, a very Blindsided Individual.
    On the same vein- My Wife let them in (or should I say the screen door was open so see could hear them and they 'came past her'), not me. I was still half asleep. She figured they had the wrong house and we had NOTHING to fear. This antic was clearly a fishing expedition to see if I owned or possessed any weapons in the calibers of ammo I bought at Fred's- OR, to see if I was some sort of "ammunition straw buyer", all of which is/was false. Or to see if anything was in plain sight so they could seize it.

I moved here from Virginia (and we are moving out of this state as soon as our house sells), and as you know, there is no requirement for me to register ANY firearms I might have brought with me into MD when I moved here...other than Machine Guns. This "Raid" was predicated upon the "premise" that I must be a CRIMINAL because I didn't have any guns registered here in those calibers. That in itself is an oxymoron since I could have purchased the ammo for God Knows what reason!! They even had the nerve to tell me (when questioned why they were here), that I had purchased a LARGE amount of ammunition!! I know exactly what I purchased from Fred's and the total amount purchased over 4 months (prior) did not even equal a Case of ANY caliber. I didn't even start shooting again for 8 years since moving here and this is what I got when I began to go to a Range 4 months before the raid. As I had said early after the Raid, it dawned on me (Dugh!), that MSP is doing everything possible to develop a roster of every weapon in this state, who owns it and where it is. That my friend is the first step to confiscation...
    Regarding these little sheets of paper called rosters- has anyone given thought to your point; that there is NO security protocol for, or valid chain of custody for these forms. (and I do believe this practice continues) If they are stolen, misplaced, or 'sold', thieves would have a virtual "who's who and Whats where".
    They say cowards run.. well so be it. I don't have to live under this type of subjugation so we'll move where a handful of people don't tell me what kind of gun I can or cannot buy. The right to self defense ANYWHERE you are is a God given right. You should not have to allow someone else to "approve" your reason to protect yourself. I guess next you'll have to dial 911 and ask is it ok to use your fists against the guy that's giving you a "Beat Down".

I got a little off track, but it is what it is. Best of luck to all you guys and gals in this State. You need it.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Why would the cops come to your house at midnight? I understand the idea of a fishing expedition, and the pretext of using a signature on an ammo log, although I'm not exactly sure how that somehow rates as "probable cause". I am even getting used to the idea of cops in MD not wanting to go anywhere alone, or even in twos and threes, having had several experiences with that. But the reason for sending 6-10 of them at once is supposed to be "officer safety" and going to someone's house in the middle of the night seems to be the most dangerous time to come banging on a door and shoving their way past someone's wife into a house. Did they ever explain why they decided to visit so late?

Gatekeeper

Jan 18, 2010
    I just got a sneak peak at the range at Freds.

They are going to require shooters to purchase ammo there due to insurance and the type of backstop. They have a rubber backstop that can catch fire if tracers are shot into it. Anybody remember Shooters Paradise in VA. thats what caused the fire that closed them down a few years ago.

Here's a pic of their progress.
    just because you got a camera-phone doesn't mean you have to use it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gatekeeper

Jan 18, 2010
    KINBOTE The reason for the "visit" was as I stated- They found I had bought ammo (ammo log at Fred's), and could not find any guns registered in MD to me for those calibers! You tell me what's going on here??? It's not about "Probable Cause", It's about intimidation and trickery. Ever hear of Fruits of the Poisonous Tree? If you let them in and they SEE, then they can SEIZE ! I agree about the dangers to everyone. Suppose my wife had been home alone? And she see's six men running to her house in the dark (Surveillance Cameras), who DO NOT identify them selves??? She does not have the training I have had and she could have fired through the door to protect herself, while she's dialing 911. Most people in the State don't have a clue when you can and cannot shoot to defend yourself. If they banged on the door without Identifying themselves and she felt they were "coming in" she probably would have cut loose at the door with 00-Buck! She's a little woman, not a firearms trained man.
    The reason for the "visit" QUOTE: " we were out on another thing, saw the lights on, and stopped by." You cannot see my house or any lights on my property from the main road (200 feet away). It is heavily wooded here (that's why we have surveillance systems). Once you turn off the main hwy into our Private road, you still can't see any lights on at my home until you are actually AT our electric gate. FYI: Why didn't they ring the camera phone at the gate??? She would have opened the gate for the! Instead they chose to run through the woods (left their cars there), and try to sneak up to our house. It didn't work. I can tell if you are walking or driving from anywhere on this property.

Tenhoff

Sep 14, 2012

A business that has brought upon various unwarranted searches and questionings of their customers from the police depts. shouldn't receive any business from anyone who cares about their rights, plain and simple. If you're willing to risk your rights being taken over being loyal to a horrible store you go ahead.

alpha2delta

Sep 7, 2011
    Questions

The midnight raid on the Gatekeeper's home by "The Md. Firearms
    Interdiction Unit" The only thing I didn't read in your post was the
    story about the law suit that I would hope and pray that you have
    against said unit. At the very least I would think that you have reported
    the"Raid" to a news group so people all over this state can be aware.

Have you talked to anyone else who has been treated like you ?

As I have signed that log book many times before for ammo as gifts
    for guns I don't own and have never been raided I wonder if this was
    a one time screw up or the begining of a police state.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom