• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    Going to hit Gettysburg later in the month. At least I can buy mags there. Let the wife hit the outlet stores and take her out for a nice dinner afterwards.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    What is the deal with handgun sales at these shows? Do they just sell them to people then transfer them to a dealer? Or can you walk out with the gun?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Same as it ever was, but with the addition of the HQL.

All FFL rules and waits apply just as before. The only difference is now the need to have the HQL.

Exemptions to HQL are:

Current or retired LEO of a department in MD of Federal agency,

current or retired member of the armed forces of the U.S.,

or purchasing a "Curio & Relic" handgun.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    What constitutes proof of being "retired" from the US military? Is a DD214 good enough?

Yes, along with a valid military identification card....from the mdsp site...

"A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status.
    Exceptions to possession of the HQL License
    A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    Maryland licensed firearms dealers."

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Exemptions to HQL are:

Current or retired LEO of a department in MD of Federal agency,

current or retired member of the armed forces of the U.S.,

or purchasing a "Curio & Relic" handgun.

Lou what amazing toys will you be bringing to the Fred show?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Lou what amazing toys will you be bringing to the Fred show?

Well................looks like Shooters Discount will have some Colt AR6721's new in box and used LE trades too. An assortment of handguns (HQL required) and a decent amount of C&R handguns (HQL exempt:D). We'll also will have a variety of milsurp long guns such as Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, SKS's, etc.. Any and all questions, PM's, inquiries will be ignored by me as I don't have the guns at home to give the information; you'll jus' hafta' come to the show to see what all we have. The shop will be closed from now until the 15th of January due to this show and the show the following week.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Well................looks like Shooters Discount will have some Colt AR6721's new in box and used LE trades too. An assortment of handguns (HQL required) and a decent amount of C&R handguns (HQL exempt:D). We'll also will have a variety of milsurp long guns such as Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, SKS's, etc.. Any and all questions, PM's, inquiries will be ignored by me as I don't have the guns at home to give the information; you'll jus' hafta' come to the show to see what all we have. The shop will be closed from now until the 15th of January due to this show and the show the following week.
    wink...nod....:cool:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

:(

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What constitutes proof of being "retired" from the US military? Is a DD214 good enough?

NO

If you are retired, you will have a retired ID card. That is what is required.

Retired means 20+ years or disability and receiving retired pay.

Your DD214 showing military service and an honorable discharge gets you exempted from the training requirement for an HQL.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    If you sell a C&R handgun at a gun show does it require an FFL transfer? I understand that if pre-1898 it does not, but what if it was manufactured in 1936?

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    So, annoying question, but I have to ask:

I've been procrastinating on the HQL, but I'm planning on hitting Frederick, mainly for reloading stuff. If I find something I like, can any of the IPs answer this: If I buy/pay for a handgun, will you hold it in store for a couple of days while I do the HQL?

EDIT for clarity: I understand my request is case-by-case, per IP. What I meant to ask was "Is this a common request, and will most vendors accommodate it?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom