• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have taken the BFS for a test drive this afternoon.

It worked as advertised. The semi auto function was hoohum boring , just like a standard milspec trigger with a slightly longer reset.nothing much to write home about.

Then on binary. WOW!

The system takes a little time to learn. I have a problem with an old habit of riding the reset which is hard to just undo in a moments notice. This caused some malfunction whereby the cycle was interrupted by the BUD or backup disconnector. This is an operator induced malfunction.

I started slow, with a steady beat. ( trigger pulled to the rhythm of Mary had a little lamb) it worked like a charm. I didn't get the pull the trigger faster as I ran out of time. Got to the range late. So more testing to follow. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have taken the BFS for a test drive this afternoon. It worked as advertised. The semi auto function was hoohum boring , just like a standard milspec trigger with a slightly longer reset.nothing much to write home about. Then on binary. WOW! The system takes a little time to learn. I have a problem with an old habit of riding the reset which is hard to just undo in a moments notice. This caused some malfunction whereby the cycle was interrupted by the BUD or backup disconnector. This is an operator induced malfunction. I started slow, with a steady beat. ( trigger pulled to the rhythm of Mary had a little lamb) it worked like a charm. I didn't get the pull the trigger faster as I ran out of time. Got to the range late. So more testing to follow. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Did you LIKE it? Will it be a trigger you look forward to taking to the range?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It's a nice range toy for now. I won't give it the" you can depend on it" rating yet. It needs more testing.

In terms of enjoyment, it scores top rating. It gives you instant " Chris Costa " double tap abilities and everyone that shot it giggled like a little girl in a build a bear store. The extra huge fireball from the 7.5 inch barrel also added to the fun.

The initial issue that most people have is that most shooters ride the trigger on reset or keep the trigger depressed thinking that it's full auto. There is a learning curve and typical shooting doctrine must be modified to account for the binary action. I got the range late and ran out of time. There were plenty of folks eager to run their loaded mags through it so test subjects and ammo was plentiful.

I may try again this afternoon. In the meantime , I'm going to install my second bFS to an ARES MCR magfed only rifle. It allows me to test it with the MCR belt fed upper. Also going to test it with different uppers and systems. Gas vs DI. Various combination of springs , buffers and bolt carriers. Let's see how fast we can get this trigger running.

In terms of controllability. Five people shot it yesterday. Kept all rounds within a 6 inch circle at 20 yards in binary mode. It took me years to learn that skill using a controlled burst in full auto. There is a tactical application to this mode if the reliability issue is settled.

If you guys see me at the range and want to run some Ammo through the BFS, don't hesitate to ask. For now, the darn thing is going to be going to every range trip. It's a fun toy. Definitely worth the 415 bucks.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The trigger also improved with use. The gritty reset smoothened out after about 80 rounds. There were some extraction issues with wolf Barnaul ammo , but it's most likely due to the Troy pdw bolt. I have not installed an upgraded extractor spring yet. It was reliable with zqi and wwb. It was even more reliable suppressed. The extra blowback helped in extraction. But made the shooters giggle and teary eyed at the same time. Add the runny noses from the cold....it was a funny sight to see.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thinking of putting one of these in my 9mm shorty. I have an SSA-E in it now. I usually shoot it rapidly anyway. Will be fun.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Damn, why did I read this thread....
    Hey George, you think these will be allowed at the club?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It runs on the magfed mcr. But chokes on the beltfed version. But I'm happy with it. A couple of beta c drums or armatac saw mags should be comparable to the beltfed. This is my concept IAR.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      59.2 KB · Views: 771

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Update :

I was able to run some rounds through the ares mcr and the thing ran flawless with the BFS trigger. No hammer follow or outrunning the bolt carrier. For some reason ,which I can't figure out..... Yet.

The timing is perfect on this combination.

I also installed a caa ARS sniper stock to give it a bit more ergonomics . With that and the bipod, hitting 6" targets at 50 yards is easy. minute of man at 100 on binary is easy as well.

This is the closest thing to a civilian version of an IAR without venturing into NFA territory.

I've expended about 250 rounds on this thing this afternoon and not a single malfunction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 747

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Update : I was able to run some rounds through the ares mcr and the thing ran flawless with the BFS trigger. No hammer follow or outrunning the bolt carrier. For some reason ,which I can't figure out..... Yet. The timing is perfect on this combination. I also installed a caa ARS sniper stock to give it a bit more ergonomics . With that and the bipod, hitting 6" targets at 50 yards is easy. minute of man at 100 on binary is easy as well. This is the closest thing to a civilian version of an IAR without venturing into NFA territory. I've expended about 250 rounds on this thing this afternoon and not a single malfunction.

I'd love to see that setup in action! Would be interesting to compare the rate of fire to a bump fire stock.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I would honestly say that the rate of fire is slower than a bumpfire stock. But it is very controllable. It's browning BAR slow. But you can dump all 30 rounds in a 6" circle at 50 yards in binary mode.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Update :

I was able to run some rounds through the ares mcr and the thing ran flawless with the BFS trigger. No hammer follow or outrunning the bolt carrier. For some reason ,which I can't figure out..... Yet.

The timing is perfect on this combination.

I also installed a caa ARS sniper stock to give it a bit more ergonomics . With that and the bipod, hitting 6" targets at 50 yards is easy. minute of man at 100 on binary is easy as well.

This is the closest thing to a civilian version of an IAR without venturing into NFA territory.

I've expended about 250 rounds on this thing this afternoon and not a single malfunction.

Any updates? I am very interested in getting one of these triggers for my MCR. Your pictures show a magazine fed only MCR, do you have a belt fed upper to test this with? I am curious about how this runs with the belt fed but to be honest, I usually shoot mine from a magazine. Mine has an original weight bolt carrier, H3 buffer, and factory buffer spring.

I am also looking at the Fostech Echo trigger. I will be getting one or the other. The Echo still has not been released to see how it does. I may have to go ahead and just plan on getting both.

Any experience or stories you can share with the BFS on the Shrike would be awesome.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Any updates? I am very interested in getting one of these triggers for my MCR. Your pictures show a magazine fed only MCR, do you have a belt fed upper to test this with? I am curious about how this runs with the belt fed but to be honest, I usually shoot mine from a magazine. Mine has an original weight bolt carrier, H3 buffer, and factory buffer spring.

I am also looking at the Fostech Echo trigger. I will be getting one or the other. The Echo still has not been released to see how it does. I may have to go ahead and just plan on getting both.

Any experience or stories you can share with the BFS on the Shrike would be awesome.

I tried the beltfed upper with the Franklin binary trigger. It won't run. Jammed like a jar of smuckers.

The backup sear kept engaging or hammer follow was an issue . It even had issues with semi mode.

Maybe a stronger spring may help with the timing issues. But didn't really put any effort into that. Not really sure if it was timing issues, anemic wolf ammo or anything else. The mcr beltfed stays on the rr for now . I have the magfed mcr that works really well with it. I prefer it over the beltfed anyways. ( beta c and saw mags)

Btw. The FA also runs well with 7.62x39 DI uppers. For some reason. It's timed correctly.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I just fitted mine to a spikes lower last night. It looks like the new ambi selector provided with the trigger is too long or my lower is narrower than normal I have a good 1/16 or better gap between the lever and the receiver on both sides. other then that it appears to function properly. Maybe i'll come up with some black nylon washers to fill in the gaps between the selector levers and the lower not sure yet the big gaps just bug me.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I just fitted mine to a spikes lower last night. It looks like the new ambi selector provided with the trigger is too long or my lower is narrower than normal I have a good 1/16 or better gap between the lever and the receiver on both sides. other then that it appears to function properly. Maybe i'll come up with some black nylon washers to fill in the gaps between the selector levers and the lower not sure yet the big gaps just bug me.

Any way I could talk you into posting some pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom