• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I got a great engineering education at The University of Colorado at Boulder, and lived there for four years. Sure, the place is full of hippies. That being said, it is phenomenally gorgeous. Don't let the hippies scare you off. If you get out there, hit up the Golden Buff for breakfast or brunch or grab one of the famous margaritas at The Rio for dinner.

I've got a lot of love for Boulder.

San Francisco is a beautiful place, too. As ever, it's people who are the detraction.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Time to send in the big guns...

bffac0d4c8962ed1abf046f9ac20184f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Denver is the place most like L.A. between St Louis and Cali. Boulder is the place most like Berkly between Madison Wi and West Coast.

Still Co is better than Md.

microstar22

Apr 24, 2016
    Denver is the place most like L.A. between St Louis and Cali. Boulder is the place most like Berkly between Madison Wi and West Coast.

There is a degree to truth in this, but I have a friend with a family who swears the government run legalization of Marijuana is hurting the family dynamic.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA

Give it a few more years. In 30 years or less, COLORADO will make MD look like a conservative paradise. The loons have only just reached critical mass.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    There is a degree to truth in this, but I have a friend with a family who swears the government run legalization of Marijuana is hurting the family dynamic.

I can believe that. We went to visit son in law in Denver. Everywhere you turned it was stoned dirty hippies or stoned hipsters.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I pray you guys are wrong, but I fear you are right. It's such a beautiful state. Every time we visit, we see more stoners. Often, it's people we encounter working in retail locations. The state giving it's blessing to legalized marijuana will have an impact they never planned. Let them enjoy the dope revenue while they can because I believe it's going to come back to bite them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In 30yrs Colorado may well look like Maryland now. But I will wager will still be preferable to Maryland 30yrs from now.

Likewise 25yrs ago I speculated that central NC in 25yrs would be like SoMd then, and its pretty close. Of course Md now sucks compared to 25yrs ago.

Meanwhile CO has negative effect at the moment as being the primary mecca of weedheads. As more jurisdictions go legal they will be dispersed.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I don't think the liberalization of Colorado will continue. For one, home prices and rent prices are ridiculous. This keeps a lot of riff raff out, although we get a lot of homeless in Denver and a lot of hippies who go set up camps in the national forests and cause forest fires because they are careless with their campfires.

Each year more and more states legalize weed - either medical or recreational. That, combined with the astronomical real estate prices, should stop the influx of people into Colorado as they migrate to places that are cheaper to live in.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    As long as the masses are complacent, stoned and well-fed they become apathetic. What we need is a lot of stoned apathetic folks who don't bother voting, because they're comfortable as things are.

Once legal weed goes nationwide, no stoners are gonna leave the fridge to demonstrate or vote. It will be gradual decline for the Left.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I don't think the liberalization of Colorado will continue. For one, home prices and rent prices are ridiculous. This keeps a lot of riff raff out, although we get a lot of homeless in Denver and a lot of hippies who go set up camps in the national forests and cause forest fires because they are careless with their campfires.

Each year more and more states legalize weed - either medical or recreational. That, combined with the astronomical real estate prices, should stop the influx of people into Colorado as they migrate to places that are cheaper to live in.

Man, I hope you are right. Please keep us posted on developments out there. Summer or winter there's nothing like it. I look at zillow at least once a week for properties out there.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Man, I hope you are right. Please keep us posted on developments out there. Summer or winter there's nothing like it. I look at zillow at least once a week for properties out there.

Colorado's legislature is split with Republicans controlling the Senate and Democrats with the House. Chickenpooper is a D but the governor before him was an R. The state just passed a bill that will legalize carry of automatic "switchblade" knives. It passed both the Senate and the House.

There were two referendum questions this past November that I think are big bellweathers for the state. The first was Coloradocare - they tried to make a socialized single payer system for health care in the state. It failed.

The second was a measure that would change how many signatures were required and from where to add referendum questions to the ballot. The current system requires a certain percentage of signatures from each county in the state to get a measure on the ballots. The new system required only a certain percentage of signatures statewide. It would have in effect allowed people to collect signatures only in the Denver-Boulder area and not in the rest of the state. That one failed as well.

I was worried that all of the stoners would vote for Coloradocare and I would now be paying their medical bills. The fact that it was defeated I think speaks volumes about the real state of politics here in Colorado.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Never forget that the Rocky Flats Plant is just a little way upstream. Maybe a self-solving problem in a couple of generations. :innocent0

Rocky Flats Plant does not exist anymore. It was torn down many years ago (at least 10 years). It is now a wildlife refuge.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Yeah, but it is a big radioactive wasteland.

Actually it is not. They removed the main sources of radiation during cleanup. There are residual levels from past accidents that are not feasible to cleanup. There was a surprising amount of wildlife even when the buildings were still there

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Actually it is not. They removed the main sources of radiation during cleanup. There are residual levels from past accidents that are not feasible to cleanup. There was a surprising amount of wildlife even when the buildings were still there

When I said radioactive wasteland I didn't mean a landscape like Mordor with glow in the dark green sludge pits. The area is still contaminated, even though the EPA claims otherwise.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_19995436

Driven by concerns that running the Jefferson Parkway across a strip of land along the eastern edge of the Rocky Flats Wildlife Refuge would stir up clouds of plutonium-laden dust, Boulder's Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center commissioned a study last fall to gauge contamination levels in the area.

The newly released results show the area is as contaminated by radioactive plutonium now as it was 40 years ago, before the Rocky Flats nuclear weapons plant, which operated on that site, was closed and cleaned up.

"The material is still there; it's still on the surface," said Marco Kaltofen, president of Boston Chemical Data Corp., the contractor hired by the Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center.

The center joined other concerned citizens in asking the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to test the soils on the strip of land that would be used for the parkway.

When federal officials said they planned to rely on testing of the area that was done in the past, Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center hired its own contractor to test the soils. But after being denied access to the refuge for testing, that contractor was forced to take samples from just outside the fence along Indiana Street.

The results show that the plutonium contamination in the area is roughly the same now as it was four decades ago, according to Kaltofen.

"Essentially, what people found back in the '70s is still true," Kaltofen said. "There is a locus of plutonium contamination on the eastern side of the Rocky Flats site -- this is material beyond the fence line that pretty much follows Indiana north and south -- that hasn't changed."

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    When I said radioactive wasteland I didn't mean a landscape like Mordor with glow in the dark green sludge pits. The area is still contaminated, even though the EPA claims otherwise.

As stated before, there are residual levels of contamination left over from past accidents and disposal practices. These are relatively minor in nature however.

This is a summary of what wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_contamination_from_the_Rocky_Flats_Plant) has to say on the issue.

While the U.S. Department of Energy continues to monitor and collect samples from the Central Operable Unit, a some groups and citizens remain concerned about the extent and long-term public health consequences of the contamination.[11][12][13][14] Estimates of the public health risk caused by the contamination vary. Activist groups are concerned about the potential risks posed by residual contamination, which exists on-Site.[15] However, the Comprehensive Risk Assessment for the site found the post-cleanup risks posed by the site to be very low and within EPA guidelines. A 1998 independent study by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment on cancer rates in communities surrounding Rocky Flats also found no pattern of increased cancers tied to Rocky Flats.[16]

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    http://gunfreezone.net/index.php/2017/03/29/shannon-watts-did-move-but-not-to-new-york/

Word on the street is that Shannon Watts has moved to Denver. Perhaps Bloomberg has her running for Congress against Cory Gardner in 2020?

Good, one less for us to have to try to deal with. People who know nothing about a subject should be quiet and take notes. Looking even more now that she was a political plant; paid to be a sjw.

If the Bloombergs are encouraging their surrogates to fall back to the hippy ship, this is a good sign. If we could just get rid or gerrymandering here in Maryland, we could still fix a lot of what's wrong with Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom