• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Found this mosin barrel in a case my dad left me. It's in very nice shape and has a shiny bore. Is it anything remarkable worth rebuilding or just another mosin?

bffa6183155d56b321e27bccd4ec7e11_zpsb5793df8.jpg

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    If I remember right 37' Tulas are common but yours looks like it hasn't been refurbed like the usual ones. I say this because it lacks the normal refurb markings and the metal finish looks different to me than normal refurbs (although it very well could be, I'm just speculating with one picture). It could be a Spanish Civil War rifle, if I remember right they sent some 1937 dated rifles as well or it could be a finn capture. Can you post any other pictures of the markings?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    barrel or barreled receiver?

If the latter, you may want to check on the underside of the tang for the year of receiver mfr. A lot of times it is significantly different than the barrel year. Just something I thought you might find interesting is all.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Sorry about your dad, I lost mine in 2011.

Hell of a nice looking pre-war Tula. Sadly, I wouldn't think it's worth rebuilding when can buy a Tula round with matching or forced matched numbers for a little under $200. I wonder how your father acquired it? Was it a "bring back" that missed the arsenal rebuild process?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If I remember right 37' Tulas are common but yours looks like it hasn't been refurbed like the usual ones. I say this because it lacks the normal refurb markings and the metal finish looks different to me than normal refurbs (although it very well could be, I'm just speculating with one picture). It could be a Spanish Civil War rifle, if I remember right they sent some 1937 dated rifles as well or it could be a finn capture. Can you post any other pictures of the markings?

*If* its Spanish Civil War, that's really rare. Yellowsled will probably steal it from you while you sleep :lol2:

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareSCWM9130s.htm

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    some history, i bought it at the edmondson drive-in flea market in catonsvile some 25-30 years ago, it was $10 or some such. was a fairly complete rifle as i remember but the stock was hammered sh!t. i may have been 12-15 years old, maybe. dad took it apart and it sat in the basement for, well, 25-30 years. all the other parts are either gone or thoroughly lost in the house somewhere. so all i have left is the barreled receiver.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    some history, i bought it at the edmondson drive-in flea market in catonsvile some 25-30 years ago, it was $10 or some such. was a fairly complete rifle as i remember but the stock was hammered sh!t. i may have been 12-15 years old, maybe. dad took it apart and it sat in the basement for, well, 25-30 years. all the other parts are either gone or thoroughly lost in the house somewhere. so all i have left is the barreled receiver.

If it was your fist mosin then it has some sentimental value. I would build a wall hanger at least if not a shooter. I would definitely keep it if my Dad bought it or helped me get it. :) I have a few of my Dad's guns and would never part with them (old pistols). He was raised in the Panama Canal Zone and had some odd stuff.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hmm, no Finn or Spanish markings that I can see from the pics. If you got it 25-30 years ago I'd say that its probably a Finn or SCW rifle that must have missed getting marked. Does it have a globe or blade front sight on it?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Nice looking rifle. Go to eBay and search, "mosin". You'll find plenty of complete stocks and any other parts you could ever need. It will probably cost you about $100 to get it back together if it's just the bolt and stock missing.

Good luck and post pics if/when you get it fixed :thumbsup:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    One tip; see if you can find an older stock with the screw-in escutcheons that would have been used at the time this rifle was built. Definitely worth the effort to restore.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Thats alot of work for you, finding parts and putting it back together... Ill take it off your hands and bring it back to life and bring it back to its former glory. Rest assured, Ill take good care of it. When do you want to meet up?

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Are you going to bring this back to shooting condition? If so, I'd worry about the headspace and that can be changed by replacing the bolt head. Head spaceguages are available from a guy named Okie (www.okiegauges.com) and are the button type. Very easy to use.
    Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom