Found an AR out of state, but won't sell because it comes with 30rnd mag?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I found an AR out of state, but they won't sell it to me because of the 30 round mag. I told them to keep the mag and just sell the gun, but they said because it's new from the factory, they've had issues with the Serial saying it's a 30 round gun....or some BS. Anyone from Maryland have this problem before buying from out of state?

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Buy elsewhere. Many dealers, through no fault of their own, simply do not understand Maryland's screwy guns laws and choose to err on the side of caution. Try Gary at High Rock.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    i thought they could just switch out mags, and put a 20rnd with it to make it legal in MD. i don't think the serial # would reference that its a 30rnd gun, considering you can have 10, 20, 30, 60, and even 100 rnd drum mags so whats the use in making the serial # exclusive to a 30rnd mag, but i could be wrong.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Anal out of state dealers. If the firearm did show up at your dealer with it's normal capacity mag, your dealer would just sell it to you without the mag.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I found an AR out of state, but they won't sell it to me because of the 30 round mag. I told them to keep the mag and just sell the gun, but they said because it's new from the factory, they've had issues with the Serial saying it's a 30 round gun....or some BS. Anyone from Maryland have this problem before buying from out of state?

They just don't understand the buffoonery in MD. We get ARs all day long with 30 round mags and just swap them out for 20 rounders.

Just look at all the dealers on GB that won't sell online to CA when all it takes to legally do so is a login and the printing of a simple letter to ship with the gun.

Some dealers just make a business decision not to deal with "difficult"states like ours.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    i thought they could just switch out mags, and put a 20rnd with it to make it legal in MD. i don't think the serial # would reference that its a 30rnd gun, considering you can have 10, 20, 30, 60, and even 100 rnd drum mags so whats the use in making the serial # exclusive to a 30rnd mag, but i could be wrong.

I just told them to keep the mag. Even easier then questioning the mag capacity laws. Yeah...I don't understand...but I'm also not going to make a fuss with them...I just wanted to know other's experiences.

Anal out of state dealers. If the firearm did show up at your dealer with it's normal capacity mag, your dealer would just sell it to you without the mag.

I was also thinking this...Ugh...now I have to wait longer. Almost had my first AR in my grasp...FAIL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Some mfgs list guns with 10rd mags and/or *evil looking features* with a different SKU specifically for specific states.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Had the same problem with Bud's Guns placed the order it was accepted and then they told me it was cancelled because of the 30 rnd mag. I told them to keep the mag but they still wouldn't do the sale. Maryland is screwed up and unless we stand up big time this session in Annapolis it will only get worse.

WGS

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Some mfgs list guns with 10rd mags and/or *evil looking features* with a different SKU specifically for specific states.

Those ARs suck wind. If it's got a collapsible stock and flash suppressor, both are permanently pinned. If no flash suppressor, then no muzzle threads. No bayonet lug. No thanks.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    Those ARs suck wind. If it's got a collapsible stock and flash suppressor, both are permanently pinned. If no flash suppressor, then no muzzle threads. No bayonet lug. No thanks.

I had to order the tame AR. No collapsible stock, no flash suppressor and 10 round mag. Only thing that saves this is I'm not getting price gouged. If I bought something in-state now, I would absolutely get raped...unless I get lucky with Bass Pro. I'll have to have someone install the flash suppressor afterwards. But I'd rather have an AR in my hands now then no AR at all. Yeah...times certainly do suck. I only hope things change for the better and I can get a 2nd AR after the dust settles, but for now, I'm just happen to potentially have one before the SHTF.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    I had to order the tame AR. No collapsible stock, no flash suppressor and 10 round mag. Only thing that saves this is I'm not getting price gouged. If I bought something in-state now, I would absolutely get raped...unless I get lucky with Bass Pro. I'll have to have someone install the flash suppressor afterwards. But I'd rather have an AR in my hands now then no AR at all. Yeah...times certainly do suck. I only hope things change for the better and I can get a 2nd AR after the dust settles, but for now, I'm just happen to potentially have one before the SHTF.

That's not true, I know one IP who is still selling the DD ARs he gets in at the price he was before

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    This is very easy. Have the dealer call the Maryland FFL. If they don't ship after that conversation, its not worth buying from them anyway, they are retarded.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008

You can easily replace that stock and you probably would have anyway.
    Immediately have one of our IP's thread your barrel and install the muzzle device of your liking.
    I used Jack's Gun works. He charged me $75 and did it while I waited.
    A mil-spec birdcage runs about $8. Stick a Phantom on there for $25.
    Keep the 10 rounder, they're handy for the bench.

Put a happy little tree down by the water.
    Whatever. It's your world.

http://www.jacksgunworks.com/

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

I was talking to my range/shop in PA and they tell me that all they do is hand you the mag so you can transport that back to MD yourself, and they send the gun (without) the mag to your local FFL.

But many of these shops are massed up. I was talking to another in PA and they told me they would sell me a 30 round mag only if they did not know what state I was from. MD law tells you that you can't buy a 30 round mag in MD. But they only heard about 30% of the law enough to know there is a law out there, but they do not really want to know what they legally can and can't do.

If you call from MD to PA and try to buy a 30 round mag over the phone. you can't. If you drive to PA and do the transaction in PA, your not breaking any laws. Some shops know this and others do not have a clue so they do not want to deal with you.

I think the shop/range I go to they know the law because most of the employees are retired LEO's.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Here is the email I got from Bud's Guns after my order was accepted:

The comments for your order are

Due to an issue with your order we need to speak with you.

We cannot ship this gun to Maryland, it comes from the manufacturer with a 30rd mag which is not legal in your state. We cannot switch out the mag or ship the gun without a mag.

Please call us at 859-368-0371 Monday-Friday 9am - 10 pm EST to have a customer service rep help you complete your order.

Please be aware that emails and phone calls are only answered during these hours.

Thank You,

Team Buds

Needless to say I disappointed in their policy and spoke to them about options but in their world there were no options. I am done with Bud's obviously.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall

Sgt Preston here...

A lot of smart out of state dealers rank Merry-Land with California & New York as having too many Communist rules & regulations to waste their time with...

They simply have more than enough customers waiting to buy their goods in States where that are easier to deal with...

It's been this way for at least 10 years...

My advice is to find an IP to deal with, tell him what you want & let him get it for you...

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I found a S&W 15-22 rifle in Seafood DE Wal-Mart yesterday for 447 and they wouldnt sell it to me because it looked like an AR and I was a MD resident. They even had a sign saying that any AR style rifle cannot be sold to ME residents.

Probably for the best I didn't get one from Wal-Mart anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom