• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redhawk_hj

May 29, 2013
    montgomery county
    so this year I decided to take a try at hunting ducks and geese.. me and a coworker agreed to go out for my first time on Saturday the 16th, opening day for geese. We met out by Seneca Creek off River Road to go hunt in the Potomac river around 415 am. We got the boat launched and the motor started and went to put the motor into reverse... and it wouldn't go. the shifter linkage?? was disconnected. so after we tried to fix that for an hour or so we realized we didn't have all of the proper tools and we needed to take the lower unit out off the motor (25 hp evinrude) so that was a bust... so much for my first time.

we talked about going out again and agreed that we both didn't have very busy days on Monday (yesterday the 18th) and we met up again at the same spot around 445am. this time the motor worked wonders and we made it out to his hunting spot and put out all the decoys...etc. we were thinking that because of the storm on sunday night that weather would be in our favor. well for those who were up at 5 am, you could see that it was pretty much clear skies and a full moon... we only saw about 3 flocks of ducks which were way too high up to shoot at and 1 shooter duck that caught us off guard.. (they are a lot faster than upland game) as far as the geese go... big goose egg. did not even hear 1. either way it was still a good time being out on the Potomac to see the sun rise and all the birds going ape sh*t flying around. i am definitely not giving up by any means! .. especially after buying waders and all the other water fowl necessities.. but i wanted to share my fowl "luck" and see if anyone else has had any issues or would offer any advice

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    Yea, we had more ducks approach us this morning before we could hunt than afterwards. I have also learned that hunting is going to be a very expensive hobby. I have been Saturday and today and have only brought home two kills. The third one got lost in the reeds. It's fun though, even if you don't hit your limit

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The weather right now is NOT conducive to waterfowling. It needs to get cold. Hunting when a storm is coming in or as it is snowing is usually the best time. However, if it gets too windy, the birds look for cover from the wind and they do not want to fly very far if at all.

This Saturday should be pretty decent since it looks like a cold front is coming in on Sunday. The birds will be able to feel it coming and will be moving around to feed as much as they can. Hoping it stays cold for the week before Thanksgiving because I might be able to get out for 3+ hunts.

Hunting can be as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. If you just tag along with somebody else that has all the gear, it can be pretty cheap. Me, I bought all the gear, am getting ready to buy a couple dozen Big Feet decoys, etc., so it has been somewhat expensive. Thing is, once you have the gear, you don't really need to keep buying much other than ammo and if you are buying a lot of ammo that means you are having one heck of a great time.

redhawk_hj

May 29, 2013
    montgomery county
    yeah the guy I hunt with has the boat and decoys...etc. I even use his shotgun as I only have an older 2 3/4'' O/U I just bought the ammo and brought us some food.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    yeah the guy I hunt with has the boat and decoys...etc. I even use his shotgun as I only have an older 2 3/4'' O/U I just bought the ammo and brought us some food.

That is the easiest way to get involved in hunting. I have brought newbs hunting where the only thing they needed to bring was warm clothing and a hunting license. Good on your buddy for introducing you to this.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    so this year I decided to take a try at hunting ducks and geese.. me and a coworker agreed to go out for my first time on Saturday the 16th, opening day for geese. We met out by Seneca Creek off River Road to go hunt in the Potomac river around 415 am. ....................and see if anyone else has had any issues or would offer any advice

I've hunted that area since 1966 so know it well so with that said you need to pay attention to the water level see attach link.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/potomac.shtml

On far right of graph see Little Falls, water level is @ 2.94 so shallow motoring up River past the Islands. Now if water level is 5.0 and rising best to wait for water level to drop below 5.0 to 4.5 feet.

If you need more info on the Regs to hunt the River let me know.

PS since you're chasing geese the River above Whites Ferry better for geese

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Nothing like hunting when the wind is blowing and it's freezing rain. Best goose hunting day I ever had. Only took a couple months for the frost bit hands to heal.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've hunted that area since 1966 so know it well so with that said you need to pay attention to the water level see attach link.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/potomac.shtml

On far right of graph see Little Falls, water level is @ 2.94 so shallow motoring up River past the Islands. Now if water level is 5.0 and rising best to wait for water level to drop below 5.0 to 4.5 feet.

If you need more info on the Regs to hunt the River let me know.

PS since you're chasing geese the River above Whites Ferry better for geese

I need to figure out how to hunt the rivers and marshes. Pretty much only been field hunting for geese the past 15 years. Only hunted the marshes a couple times with a friend and didn't learn much about how to do it. I have never hunted a river or any other type of public waterway. In that regard, any advice would be appreciated.

Been looking at a 15' Grizzly at Outdoor World the past couple of years and this past summer my wife said "Why don't you get the bigger one that seats 5 so the entire family can come along if we want to." So, I am now looking at something on the larger size for fishing and hunting small waterways. Only problem is that I have no idea how to legally do the hunting part. Fishing I know because we had a 21' boat before I got married.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Nothing like hunting when the wind is blowing and it's freezing rain. Best goose hunting day I ever had. Only took a couple months for the frost bit hands to heal.

Yeah, I do not have that issue anymore. I swore to myself that once I graduated law school I would not be cold ever again while hunting. I have propane heaters, chemical warmers, awesome clothing, etc. It is a rare day that I actually feel cold in the blind or on the stand.

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    The full moon is generally NOT your friend while waterfowling in this part of the country. In other flyways, less of an issue.

I've nearly died twice, including a dunk in a beaver swamp alongside the Potomac several years ago in 17 degree weather. Water was 18" deep with solid ice on top....until I slipped into the beaver run which was about 5' deep. I am 5'7". It got real serious, real fast. Glad I wasn't alone.

Waterfowling is tough in Maryland. Very little "true" public land (i.e. park the truck, paddle in a canoe out into a public marsh). Spend enough days out, and you'll get your ducks once it gets cold. Your mileage may vary as far as the SPECIES of ducks, but they eventually show up.

Be careful and if you're dumb enough to go alone (as I do in shallow water or field hunting geese), make sure at least two people know where you are and when you're supposed to make contact after the hunt. No one needs to die hunting....except the birds:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom