• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    You need to call Andi and ask her about that one. That's 108x35 copies. I would definitely call her and give her a heads up if your going to submit that as testimony. Is it for just 1 bill??? That's 3,780 pages.

It's a copy of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit,
    San Francisco, CA 02/12/14 court case

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    You need to call Andi and ask her about that one. That's 108x35 copies. I would definitely call her and give her a heads up if your going to submit that as testimony. Is it for just 1 bill??? That's 3,780 pages.

It's a copy of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit,
    San Francisco, CA 02/12/14 court case

Oh my, can we all use this?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    personally I do not think they read it. It is there for impressions. Someone might want to call Andi and get specific info.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    * HB 115 * *Del Conaway * * *Task Force to Study Firearms and Global Positioning Sate

Here is written testimony against * HB 115 * *Del Conaway * * *Task Force to Study Firearms and Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) Devices. Please feel free to make any necessary changes to this and please sign it and submit it to Delegate Smigiel's office for submission.

February 27, 2014

HAND DELIVERED

House Judiciary Committee
    101 House Office Building
    Annapolis, Maryland 21401

Dear Committee Members:

I am writing you today to oppose this legislation. GPS tracking of firearms has already been studied in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and in the city of Chicago, Illinois. While the technology does exist to use GPS to track firearm locations, it has many drawbacks, disadvantages, and shortcomings.

For GPS to work, the receiver must have a line of sight to four or more transmitting GPS satellites. There are many locations, such as inside large buildings, in basements and tunnels, in outdoor canyons and valleys, and even on city streets surrounded by skyscrapers where GPS receivers do not function. If you’ve ever tried using the GPS in your car to navigate the streets of New York City or driven through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel with a GPS unit you have experienced this.

The GPS unit in the firearm must be powered by a battery. It is trivial for a criminal who doesn’t want to be tracked to remove or just not recharge the battery, rendering the device inoperable.

Using GPS to track the movements of law-abiding citizens also opens many questions relating to privacy, especially in this day and age with the NSA being what it is. Is the aim of mandating the use of these devices to track the movements of law-abiding citizens as they hunt, shoot a round of skeet, or earn the Boy Scout Marksmanship merit badge at summer camp? I certainly hope not.

Maryland is a state with many problems, the least of which are spending and budgetary problems. This issue has been researched by three different legislatures and all three decided to pass on the technology. This bill paints a mental picture of three men with sticks hitting a horse which is no longer among the living. I see no reason for Maryland to waste taxpayer money trying to find a way for “the Free State” to further erode the privacy of its law-abiding citizens.

Kind regards,

Some other items to include:

Cell phones have GPS tracking capability. Cell phones are stolen all the time. Yet despite the ability to track them, the police never seem to do it.

When George Bush was President the ATF planted GPS tracking devices in guns that were smuggled across the border into Mexico during Operation Wide Receiver. The plan fell apart when the smugglers discovered the chips and simply destroyed them before delivering the guns to drug cartels.

GPS tracking devices currently cost more than $200 per gun, plus installation fees

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Some acronyms that you can use instead of Support/Oppose:

• UNF = Unfavorable
    • FAV = Favorable
    • FWA = Favorable w/Amendments
    If you decide to use FWA, make sure that your testimony summarizes your proposed amendments. Be prepared to discuss those amendments with the staff of the Delegate whose bill you are testifying about (if they are interested, the Delegates may ask for those comments during verbal testimony - if they do ask, do not hesitate to ask to speak to their staffers and FOLLOW UP).

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Mopar92=712.

Sugamomma I has question.
    Can I come over and borrow a compooter as researching on an iPhone sucks.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    personally I do not think they read it. It is there for impressions. Someone might want to call Andi and get specific info.

Are you referring to written testimony in general or sending the entire 9th circuit finding?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    ok, how do you make an attachment to send to smigels office? i am not exactly computer literate, i just fumble around here. i think i can do word or office, i think i have those programs.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    ok, how do you make an attachment to send to smigels office? i am not exactly computer literate, i just fumble around here. i think i can do word or office, i think i have those programs.

Use your email account. Attach the word document to the email message. Put the bill number and "written testimony" in the subject line. The edress is in the first post of this thread.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    More than one person sending in written testimony using the CA9.

This I agree with, especially since I will probably be one of copier operators. Instead of sending the entire 9th circuit ruling, perhaps just the finer points for whomever wants to use the information.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Guys even a "my name is X and I support / oppose this bill" works.

It takes like 5 mins to do this. Burn that copier up!!

It's helpful if you can elucidate on why you support or oppose, though. Not asking for a book here but something of an explanation is terrific :D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom