former Attorney General Joe Curran to speak at Towson U.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Apparently tomorrow in celebration of "Constitution Week" they are having a discussion on the Constituton and how it affects the country today. Also one of the speakers is former Attorney General Joe Curran who will have his own session to speak talking about gun control and the 2nd Amendment as well as whether it is a collective or individual right? Of course I already know the answer to this and will definitely have some questions to ask him (why are so-called "assault weapons" so heavily regulated in maryland and yet they constitute less than 1% of the crimes committed in this country, why have we spent millions of dollars a year on a ballistic database system that has failed to solve even one crime, why with all the gun control we already have in maryland we are still rated as one of the top 5 most dangerous states to live in etc..) but I was wondering what all of your thoughts were on this or if any of you had anything you would like me to bring up to ask??

http://cooklibrary.towson.edu/announcements/detailsText.cfm?itemID=107

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Sounds like you already have some pretty good questions right there, if you get a chacne to ask those questions, let us know what he says, i'd love to hear his answers

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Isn't Joe Curran speaking on the Constitution sort of like Lenin speaking on the subject of capitalism?

Take him to task on shall issue legislation and why Maryland insists on the perpetuation of a discriminatory system that allows politically connected people to have permits for self-defense but limits us serfs to only having permits for protection of money.

Ask him how it's possible that shall issue legislation is able to work in 38 other states but would be a failure here.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Isn't Joe Curran speaking on the Constitution sort of like Lenin speaking on the subject of capitalism?

Take him to task on shall issue legislation and why Maryland insists on the perpetuation of a discriminatory system that allows politically connected people to have permits for self-defense but limits us serfs to only having permits for protection of money.

Ask him how it's possible that shall issue legislation is able to work in 38 other states but would be a failure here.

I was going to ask this and I thank you for it. I have modified the part about permits for the protection of money to also include why the permit is only good "AT" certain times of the day and why not on a permanent basis.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I would ask him, if he's still pushing that "collective right" argument, how the "collective right to bear arms" exercised by the German military and police during the 1930's and 1940's worked out.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Or better yet ask him how he can still say that it is a "Collective Right" when the Supreme Court laid out a can of whoop ass and said otherwise.

Silly boy, don't you know that the Heller decision was a result of the activist Bush appointees paying back the NRA backers of the Republican Party? ;)

dclemens

Sep 28, 2007
    Kingsville,MD
    Apparently tomorrow in celebration of "Constitution Week" they are having a discussion on the Constituton and how it affects the country today. Also one of the speakers is former Attorney General Joe Curran who will have his own session to speak talking about gun control and the 2nd Amendment as well as whether it is a collective or individual right? Of course I already know the answer to this and will definitely have some questions to ask him (why are so-called "assault weapons" so heavily regulated in maryland and yet they constitute less than 1% of the crimes committed in this country, why have we spent millions of dollars a year on a ballistic database system that has failed to solve even one crime, why with all the gun control we already have in maryland we are still rated as one of the top 5 most dangerous states to live in etc..) but I was wondering what all of your thoughts were on this or if any of you had anything you would like me to bring up to ask??

Bring the pain Scott :party29:! TU needs a little republican influence to offset all the B.S. Obama propaganda :mad54: that flies around campus. I will try to make it to the event, I wish I would have known earlier.

BMore

Feb 23, 2008
    High Rent District
    I don't know how you would phrase this question I would ask, I noticed that most of cities that enact tough gun control have high concentration of minorities and poor. Why do politicians make it tough for poor blacks, hispanics, and whites who have committed no crimes to get guns to defend themselves when judges have ruled that police have no legal obligation to protect them?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I don't know how you would phrase this question I would ask, I noticed that most of cities that enact tough gun control have high concentration of minorities and poor. Why do politicians make it tough for poor blacks, hispanics, and whites who have committed no crimes to get guns to defend themselves when judges have ruled that police have no legal obligation to protect them?
    This is a great argument that I wish was put to task against the antis more often.
    THey talk about gun crime in the inner cities, but when they do this they are admitting there is a greater need for the law abiding in the inner cities to protect themselves with a gun.
    When they talk about gun crime in the city is it like they start a sentence and stop it halfway through without finishing the total thought.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

While I doubt Curran is as slick as his son in law, be careful how you ask the AW question. There is the MD AW and there is the federal legislation AW. The federal legislation is a very broad class of guns that includes pistols, high capacity magazines and many rifles that are not on the MD list as well as any semi auto rifle with certain features.
    The question to ask is how many MD regulated rifles or "assault rifles" have been used in crimes in Maryland in the past 14 years INCLUDING the Beltway sniper shootings and then ask how many times more people in MD have been killed by hands/fist/feet.

(Maybe five to ten people are killed by someone using a rifle of any kind in MD a year, and about 20 to 25 by hands/fist/feet)

Ask him how many of the 35,000 robberies, assaults and murders in MD a year have someone use a MD "assault rifle"....or a rifle of ANY kind? (Avoid the "AW" high capacity magazine in pistol subject because he will not know the answer and he will know you cannot easily check his answer or refute his claim, so he can say anything and the crowd will think he speaks with authority when he lies out his ass)

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    The question to ask is how many MD regulated rifles or "assault rifles" have been used in crimes in Maryland in the past 14 years INCLUDING the Beltway sniper shootings and then ask how many times more people in MD have been killed by hands/fist/feet.

Ask him how many of the 35,000 robberies, assaults and murders in MD a year have someone use a MD "assault rifle"....or a rifle of ANY kind? (Avoid the "AW" high capacity magazine in pistol subject because he will not know the answer and he will know you cannot easily check his answer or refute his claim, so he can say anything and the crowd will think he speaks with authority when he lies out his ass)

Thank you novus i will re-word accordingly. I am about to head over so wish me luck.

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River

I would love to hear the outcome. I'm sure you will do well, and make all of us proud.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I hope those guys don't get the bums rush out the door when they start asking the hard questions. I wish them the best of luck!

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Outcome

He was as biased as I thought he would be and he did mention how he wrote "Farewell to Arms" so he was anti from the beginning. He talked mostly about the recent Heller ruling. From there I sware he was talking like Antonin Scalia (or better yet Stephen Breyer) about how reasonable regulations were necessary especially how the seven day waiting period in Maryland was justified as a reasonable regulation to keep firearms out of the hands of the criminals and the mentally ill (which made me roll my eyes since a) it doesn't and b) the wait is more like 14-21 days since Maryland loves to make up the rules as they go). Curran swore he was for the right to bear arms but just like out of the Democrat/Brady/et. al playbook said "reasonable regulations" were necessary. He also briefly mentioned the fear we have of the registration of firearms to the government saying that if there was a revolution the government would know where to go to find the firearms but failed to go into more detail about it. When it was time for questions rsagona1 asked him about why concealed carry was able to work in Vermont with more liberal laws on that matter than in D.C. with its horrendous crime rate and again, just like out of the anti handbook, pulled the necessary regulation card. It was like talking to a brick wall, he hasn't changed at all. Unfortunately there was not time to ask the question I had which was "How has Maryland's numerous gun control laws have any effect on keeping guns away from the unfit when we are one of the top 5 most dangerous states to live in and the number one state in the entire country to be robbed in 13 years running?"

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Good job Scott. Goes to show that if they can't even have a decent argument in a public forum then they know their own rhetoric is crap and they don't want you to reveal it. Maybe we should try to organize some pro-gun public officials to do the same for us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom