• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Update on CrosshairCustoms delivery:
    1.the threading of the SDTA muzzle brake threads into the CHC Ti Quick Attach Adapter.
    2. CHC does not sell freeze plugs. But the NAPA freezeplugs fit well with the Ti D cell tube.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    anyone else notice that CHC's D-Cell kit is few dollars more than if you just buy the parts individually from them.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Best you procure your parts before they get shut down too.

ATF must really be putting in the overtime on the solvent trap parts... Been watching everything from the sidelines, debating if I want to get the parts and make my own, buy one now, or wait and see what happens with the Feds and their revised rulings... Ebay tube parts and some adapters are now no longer being sold...

My personal opinion, ATF is going to crack down prior to the rule revision.. make money off of the fines...

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Whos sites are still up? I had been putting it off and the supply of ti tubes dried up a few months ago.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    Finally started to buy parts to build my 3 suppressors due to this new scare.
    Still waiting on parts from sdta for the 30 cal.
    I am trying to build a 45acp suppressor similar to a octane, I want to use the liberty lid for 45 and my gemtech 3 lug mount for possible subgun use in 9mm. Would a stainless steel 8.3 D cell tube with titanium ends work well? I was hoping it won't be too heavy for pistol use and still been able to handle some full auto fire. Any suggestions are appreciated
    Thanks

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Got my parts from CrosshairCustoms. I bought a Ti D cell tube, thread adapter and flash hiders. The threading is compatible with parts bought from SDTA (ie muzzle brake). They also sell spacer tubes as well as endcaps. The freezeplugs are available from NAPA online store. Check out the start of this thread as Weber posted the freeze plug needed for the D cell tube. If you filed a Form1 I recommend that you buy the parts now before the wells run dry.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Finally started to buy parts to build my 3 suppressors due to this new scare.
    Still waiting on parts from sdta for the 30 cal.
    I am trying to build a 45acp suppressor similar to a octane, I want to use the liberty lid for 45 and my gemtech 3 lug mount for possible subgun use in 9mm. Would a stainless steel 8.3 D cell tube with titanium ends work well? I was hoping it won't be too heavy for pistol use and still been able to handle some full auto fire. Any suggestions are appreciated
    Thanks

For use in a pistol you will need a converter to change B-cell size (threading of the LID) to a D- cell size threading. Ti part is available @ SDTA. The 7.6" Ti tube filled with spacers will come close to 20 oz. It will work for a rifle/ AR pistol but might be too heavy for a pistol like a Glock. Of course you can tailor the weight by using more spacer tube instead of freeze plugs.

Per experience, my 5.8" Ti tube (length of endcap and adapter not counted in the overall length) works both on my Glock17 and on my AR pistol (using a 22 CMMG bolt). It may work on a 9mm AR pistol but I have not tried it yet.
    I did not try this setup it on an AR pistol running a standard bolt and .223 ammo as Weber suggests that the noise suppression may not be hearing safe. Not to mention the pressure of a .223/.556 round on a 10.5" AR might be testing the limits of the Form1 suppressor.

I have a 7.6" Ti tube (8 inches overall after adding thread adapter and endcap). It is a direct thread. I tried this on the 10.5" AR pistol and fired 30-40 .223 rounds. I did notice that the freeze plug closest to the barrel was a little bit harder to remove when I took apart the suppressor for cleaning. This suppressor is a .30 cal with the freeze plugs drilled accordingly. I suspect that the pressure at the end of the 10.5 " barrel is relatively high and may have contributed to the first freeze plug becoming harder to remove.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Got my parts from CrosshairCustoms. I bought a Ti D cell tube, thread adapter and flash hiders. The threading is compatible with parts bought from SDTA (ie muzzle brake). They also sell spacer tubes as well as endcaps. The freezeplugs are available from NAPA online store. Check out the start of this thread as Weber posted the freeze plug needed for the D cell tube. If you filed a Form1 I recommend that you buy the parts now before the wells run dry.

This is where I ordered from as well. Got two D cell Ti tubes one in 5.6 for pistol 45 cal and one 7.6 that I plan to make a .30 Cal. I submitted the form for the 7.6 in 9mm not thinking about what I was doing and am looking into the process to amend the form to make it a .30 cal rifle suppressor.

I have not received the form 1 back for either yet. Anyone have success reducing the caliber size on a not yet approved form?

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    This is where I ordered from as well. Got two D cell Ti tubes one in 5.6 for pistol 45 cal and one 7.6 that I plan to make a .30 Cal. I submitted the form for the 7.6 in 9mm not thinking about what I was doing and am looking into the process to amend the form to make it a .30 cal rifle suppressor.

I have not received the form 1 back for either yet. Anyone have success reducing the caliber size on a not yet approved form?

Might not need to amend it. When you drill the freeze plugs and the end cap you make the hole a little bigger to avoid baffle strikes. The recommended overbore is in this thread IIRC. There is no specific requirement written as to how much bigger you overbore your freeze plug/endcap as your intent is to avoid baffle strikes.

Overbore may affect suppression slightly just like a .45 can will suppress a 9mm but might not be as efficient as a 9mm can.
    .30 cal = 7.62 mm. A 9mm Form 1 rifle suppressor may be good for both 9mm and .30 cal.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Might not need to amend it. When you drill the freeze plugs and the end cap you make the hole a little bigger to avoid baffle strikes. The recommended overbore is in this thread IIRC. There is no specific requirement written as to how much bigger you overbore your freeze plug/endcap as your intent is to avoid baffle strikes.

Overbore may affect suppression slightly just like a .45 can will suppress a 9mm but might not be as efficient as a 9mm can.
    .30 cal = 7.62 mm. A 9mm Form 1 rifle suppressor may be good for both 9mm and .30 cal.

Very good point. I guess who cares if it's engraved with 9mm if I know it can handle rifle loads as well.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    There is an article somewhere in the Net about the barrel pressures relative to the barrel length. The study was done using AR firing 5.56.

I read another online discussion that the tubes of SDTA were rated to somewhere close to 12500 psi. I'm not really sure of the exact number and where they obtained their specs. Basically that discussion was not recommending suppressing a 10.5" AR for that reason. IIRC a 10.5" AR firing 5.56 comes close to this number. I'm not sure how much the spacer tube in the blast area adds to the tolerance of a Form1 tube with respect to the PSI. I wish I could dig out that web page and get insights on this whether is is reliable fact or simply phoeey. Weber has built a lot of Form1s. Maybe he can weigh in on this.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    Thanks for the reply, So it appears the consensus is to use titanium for tubes due to weight. Does titanium hold up to FA fire well? I'm not planning on doing mag dump torture testing on the cans but it would be nice to do some rapid firing here or there at the machine gun shoots.

Also following the advice of another form 1 builder I had already bought some 8 3/8 inch D cell stainless tubes he suggested because of the FA aspect, but now I think if I completed the cans they might be too heavy for 45acp and 22lr use but not sure about 30 cal use. I'm still waiting on end cap and spacer from crosshair customs to arrive before I can test them with one of my tubes and my parts from SDTA.

For use in a pistol you will need a converter to change B-cell size (threading of the LID) to a D- cell size threading. Ti part is available @ SDTA. The 7.6" Ti tube filled with spacers will come close to 20 oz. It will work for a rifle/ AR pistol but might be too heavy for a pistol like a Glock. Of course you can tailor the weight by using more spacer tube instead of freeze plugs.

Per experience, my 5.8" Ti tube (length of endcap and adapter not counted in the overall length) works both on my Glock17 and on my AR pistol (using a 22 CMMG bolt). It may work on a 9mm AR pistol but I have not tried it yet.
    I did not try this setup it on an AR pistol running a standard bolt and .223 ammo as Weber suggests that the noise suppression may not be hearing safe. Not to mention the pressure of a .223/.556 round on a 10.5" AR might be testing the limits of the Form1 suppressor.

I have a 7.6" Ti tube (8 inches overall after adding thread adapter and endcap). It is a direct thread. I tried this on the 10.5" AR pistol and fired 30-40 .223 rounds. I did notice that the freeze plug closest to the barrel was a little bit harder to remove when I took apart the suppressor for cleaning. This suppressor is a .30 cal with the freeze plugs drilled accordingly. I suspect that the pressure at the end of the 10.5 " barrel is relatively high and may have contributed to the first freeze plug becoming harder to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom