• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    How does it smell? Put it on your tongue. How does it taste?

Nasty smell=no
    Bitter or sour taste=no. Unless it’s sour by nature…Hawaiian pork n pineapple or such.

My guess is it’s just fine. Boiling water will cure lots of borderline shit imo. I think you’ll be ok.

If you try, request you report what you learn.
    If you live that is.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    And, how much is the kitty in the window, not sure I would eat it though..
    Depends on if we are talking about nutrition or recreation. Different kinds of kitty in the window.

Koreans eat plenty of dog. Thais eat anything that can be caught and cooked. Some parts of Latin America, it is indeed possible to have las carnitas in your taco that includes tissue from reptiles and mammals.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Its freeze dried in Mylar bags with Oxygen absorbers. I do the same with the stuff I freeze dry. Its fine. It has an expiration because the FDA requires it. Even bottled water had expiration dates.
    Freeze drying removes %99+ of the water. The mylar keeps out %100 of the light. And the O2 absorber removed oxygen so no oxidation. Its literally a pause button for bacteria and such. Think of it as suspended animation. If the seals are intact its fine and will still taste fresh when you rehydrate it. If it doesnt taste fresh the seals werent intact. The easy way to be sure is when you open it check for dryness. It should be completely brittle if there is an flex or spongyness moisture got in so dont eat it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Its freeze dried in Mylar bags with Oxygen absorbers. I do the same with the stuff I freeze dry. Its fine. It has an expiration because the FDA requires it. Even bottled water had expiration dates.
    Freeze drying removes %99+ of the water. The mylar keeps out %100 of the light. And the O2 absorber removed oxygen so no oxidation. Its literally a pause button for bacteria and such. Think of it as suspended animation. If the seals are intact its fine and will still taste fresh when you rehydrate it. If it doesnt taste fresh the seals werent intact. The easy way to be sure is when you open it check for dryness. It should be completely brittle if there is an flex or spongyness moisture got in so dont eat it.
    ^^^This guy knows what he’s talking about!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It will still chemically break down over time. That time might be centuries if stored in a cool place. Many of the molecules that make up different things in food are not permanently stable and will interact with other molecules already in the food. No oxygen or moisture needed. Storing it in a warm or hot place will speed this process. No, it isn't going to poison you if you eat a freeze dried meal that was stored for 50 years in a broken down ford on blocks in the Arizona desert. But nutritionally, it might be pretty deficient. And it might not taste good.

Things like MREs go bad pretty quickly because they do have moisture in them. Which is why their shelf life is only a few years stored in a cool place (and potentially only a year or two if stored in hot conditions).

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    It will still chemically break down over time. That time might be centuries if stored in a cool place. Many of the molecules that make up different things in food are not permanently stable and will interact with other molecules already in the food. No oxygen or moisture needed. Storing it in a warm or hot place will speed this process. No, it isn't going to poison you if you eat a freeze dried meal that was stored for 50 years in a broken down ford on blocks in the Arizona desert. But nutritionally, it might be pretty deficient. And it might not taste good.

Things like MREs go bad pretty quickly because they do have moisture in them. Which is why their shelf life is only a few years stored in a cool place (and potentially only a year or two if stored in hot conditions).
    Thats not MRE's if it list a 25 year shelf life its freeze dried. If a few % of moisture is left in that changes to about 5 years stored in a cool place.
    Properly Freeze dried food like that should be has been eaten more than 50 years later that has been reported to taste the same as freeze dried food eaten sooner.
    They key here is properly freeze dried and I laid out a very easy test to tell if its properly freeze dried.
    Since you like to know everything. Do you freeze dry food? I do? Have you spent time researching it so you know how to do it properly? I did. Do you belong to and keep up with large groups of preppers that also freeze dry and share the knowledge? I do.

You will notice I did not use the term MRE anywhere. I specifically stated freeze dried everywhere. Now I am in a phone so if the photo says MRE in it somewhere then well my very basic test would quickly show its not good. But from what I can see thats properly freeze dried food which means if the seals are still in tact and they have o2 absorbers which look just like silica packets then again the food will be fine and when rehydrated will most likely taste freshed cooked or close to it.
    Properly freeze dried food will last way way longer then 25 years.

FYI Freeze drying preserves %90+ of the nutrition in food and normally it keeps %99 of the nutrition and again properly dried and sealed it still will have that. You just have to know what you are freeze drying and how to freeze dry it some things are different. Mainly foods that are freeze dried that have a high fat content think like raw ground beef. That stuff is only good around 5 years because the fat will not completely dry out. However cook it and drain it and rinse it and your good to go. I would have to assume a commercial freeze dryer that markets like what the OP has has done that.

If you would like to learn more join some harvestright groups. They are the only ones currently that make home freeze dryers though there are 2 other companies that will be releasing one soon so I imagine they will have groups as well. You can also search around on the web and you will find all kinds of neat stuff.
    I keep my stuff sealed in mylar with oxygen absorbers outside so it gets huge temp swings through the seasons.So far no issues. I have kept commercially freeze dried foods stored in my trunk in my boat all kinds of places for more than a decade and it was fine. I have stuff coming up on 20 years stored that way because I like to do my own testing as well. Once rehydrated tasted fresh cooked.
    I keep 3 days worth of freeze dried food in all my vehicles and in my boat along with 12v water kettles to boil water to prepare it. I also keep fire started and some other stuff as well incase that isnt an option. I have alway been fascinated by freeze drying so I have been into since the late 80's.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Ok I did not die, puke or have the trots. Decent taste,smell. Servings are for 4 and I ate a reasonable amount for the experiment.
    Wise food settled a class action lawsuit for over starting the nutrition value for the servings. My batch was from before the suit. It is what it is. Will try a different meal from the box. Thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_20230405_165129433.jpg
      IMG_20230405_165129433.jpg
      292.1 KB · Views: 59
    • IMG_20230405_165135319_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20230405_165135319_HDR.jpg
      214.9 KB · Views: 61

70Sevens

Jun 4, 2013
    Ok I did not die, puke or have the trots. Decent taste,smell. Servings are for 4 and I ate a reasonable amount for the experiment.
    Wise food settled a class action lawsuit for over starting the nutrition value for the servings. My batch was from before the suit. It is what it is. Will try a different meal from the box. Thank you all.
    Glad to hear it went well. Sounds like the shelf life held up.

CitadelTraining

Firearms Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Jun 29, 2023
    Waldorf, MD

I have always wondered about the shelf life claims. Nice to see that it seems to hold true even under less than ideal conditions.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    if the pack is sealed with no moisture or air infiltration I am not sure how it could go bad. Oxygen and water are a key components for things to rot or bacteria to grow. Rot is like the fire triangle. Heat, fuel and oxygen. Remove one and nothing happens. Rot is like bio matter, moisture and oxygen.

They said they found 2500 year old rice in Egypt and it was still edible and they even got it to sprout. But it was cool, dry and dark there also.

I know light also destroys canned stuff. Mom kept tomatoes in a room that was not dark in her older years and 5 year old stuff was edible, but not the same taste quality. But I have easily eaten ten year old jelly and preserves stored in the dark basement. Firewood out in the rain rots like hell, under roof, just slows greys out from light and lasts years.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    You should start your own YouTube channel eating old food:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom