• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a bucket of prep food. It was stored in home for first 10 years but has been in an outdoor shed for the past 10years. Obviously unstable temps. I'm going with a don't eat . What say you folks?

Attachments

• IMG_20230405_120009577_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20230405_120009577_HDR.jpg
      236.7 KB · Views: 68

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Imodium is your friend...

What does the label say about storage? Is is sealed?

Pariah

Sep 6, 2022
    Ellicott City, Md
    Are you worried about the food being safe to eat? Because while some stuff may have changed it's consistency a few times with the temps, I highly doubt it made it unsafe. You're within the 25 year shelf life. It should be just fine. But, honestly, I'd keep it around way longer than that. Like someone else mentioned, if you're hungry enough, something is better than nothing.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have a bucket of prep food. It was stored in home for first 10 years but has been in an outdoor shed for the past 10years. Obviously unstable temps. I'm going with a don't eat . What say you folks?
    Im pretty sure most those are dried? Even if not, its basically an MRE...add boiling water. Might not taste the best but still edible

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    It says 25 years at 50-55degrees and at 60-65 degrees 20 years. Guess it's been more like 5 years controlled temp and 6 in freeze and heat.
    So it is a toss up on opinions. Sealed in mylar packages and in the bucket. Yes rejuvenate with hot water. Maybe have a puke bucket and Imodium handy! Would be a shame to waste.
    I will try when I'm with someone. If it doesn't go well, it's been nice knowing you!

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I just got off the phone with the company and they gave me the try it or not but he said it just might not taste good but shouldn't kill me sooo. So I have that going for me.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Unless seals are broken, that dehydrated stuff is good WAY past the printed dates. Just saying.

I have eaten some mountain house that was apparently WAY past the limit and didn't notice until one of my more outdoor oriented friends made comment that the logo on the bag was "the old old one". Oh well. It tasted like freeze dried food and I didn't get sick. On the other hand, I've eaten a lot of stuff that people probably shouldn't and I'm still here. I will say that I will never drink cognac (that has a damn venom sack in it) with cambodians again.... just in case I have developed an ulcer in the intervening years. Oh, and don't eat the tacos in the low rent areas of mexico. You don't want to know what they make em with.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Are you worried about the food being safe to eat? Because while some stuff may have changed its consistency a few times with the temps, I highly doubt it made it unsafe. You're within the 25 year shelf life. It should be just fine. But, honestly, I'd keep it around way longer than that. Like someone else mentioned, if you're hungry enough, something is better than nothing.
    Depends on exactly the temps in said shed…

Shelf life is assuming stored at a room temperature of 68F, 20C.

Chemical reactions generally double per 10C. So oxidizing other other break down of the chemicals in the stored food would double at 86F/30F compared to 68/20. But would also be half at 50F/10C. So likely a lot fast in the summer, but consequently probably slower in the winter than storing it in your house.

Storing it in a vehicle would be the absolute worst place as the summer time where it can get sun. you’d often be talking about 20-30C hotter than in your house and even in winter it won’t often get all that much colder than in your house except for night and heavily overcast days.

20 years, if the packaging is still okay? Yeah it’s probably fine unless that shed gets real hot a lot of the year. If we lived in Florida, I am not sure I’d trust it. Maryland? Probably okay. But I would use it in some way soon rather than keeping it around out in the shed another decade.

It’s never likely to kill you if the packaging stays intact. However the nutritional value degrades over time. Fats can go rancid. Etc.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Unless seals are broken, that dehydrated stuff is good WAY past the printed dates. Just saying.

I have eaten some mountain house that was apparently WAY past the limit and didn't notice until one of my more outdoor oriented friends made comment that the logo on the bag was "the old old one". Oh well. It tasted like freeze dried food and I didn't get sick. On the other hand, I've eaten a lot of stuff that people probably shouldn't and I'm still here. I will say that I will never drink cognac (that has a damn venom sack in it) with cambodians again.... just in case I have developed an ulcer in the intervening years. Oh, and don't eat the tacos in the low rent areas of mexico. You don't want to know what they make em with.
    The Taco Bell dog?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    They sell it as prep food.

Do they expect your a/c to be working to preserve your stores for 20 years after shtf?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Save it for trading after TSHTF there will be people who will be very hungry and willing to eat anything.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    This popped up in my feed last week. Just found it again.....

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    How does it smell? Put it on your tongue. How does it taste?

Nasty smell=no
    Bitter or sour taste=no. Unless it’s sour by nature…Hawaiian pork n pineapple or such.

My guess is it’s just fine. Boiling water will cure lots of borderline shit imo. I think you’ll be ok.

If you try, request you report what you learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom