• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Terps2005 - Thanks for posting and letting everyone know to be aware when leaving ranges. I posted several months ago about a friend and I that had the same thing happen after leaving another range. Like you, we could of / should of done things differently in hindsight. The more people hear about this happening, the less likely they will become another victim.

To clarify a couple of points that were made by other posters; the law doesn't say that you can't stop on the way to, or from, a shooting activity with a firearm. It only says that you have to be on the way to, or from, a shooting activity. In route stops are allowed.

Although it's unfortunate that this happened, it is better to happen in a shopping center than at your house.

I now always check my rear when leaving the range and take a circuitous route on the way home.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I always thought you weren't supposed to stop when transporting a regulated firearm. Sorry for your loss.

This, at least in DC, requires you to have it in the trunk and for you to go directly from your home to the 'approved recreational facility/activity' and then return 'directly'. I have heard stories of people being charged/harassed even for stopping for gas.

I'm sure we've all 'done' it, but that sucks man.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    After hearing of similar incidents at on-target, I now always make sure to be aware of my surroundings and take a couple false turns to try to clear anyone following. Of course, these days it's not hard to stick a GPS somewhere on the car and just Rob the home when you leave.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I appreciate you sharing it with us to heighten awareness for others. I usually don't stop when going to/from the range, however, the culprits were intent enough to follow you they would have followed you home if you did not stop. Maybe a blessing in disguise. I will be more vigilant thanks to you sharing. Hope they catch the bastard.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Just make sure you go "to starboard in the bottom half of the hour". :D

How far was the store from MSAR? Just wondering if they would have followed you all the way home or stopped after a while and gone back for another victim.

I usually go crazy ivan after leaving the range. Usually through a drive through for coffee or quick pick up a phoned in sub or pizza. :)

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    I would never leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle under any circumstance.

....unless you're trying to catch a thief.

we know the where, when and how. we don't know the who. but i bet these scumbags have hit others and this incident will not be the last. not everyone is a member on here and reports what happened.

so what if a guy shows up solo at MSAR and is showing off a _______ (fill in the blank with a desired firearm that scum usually want), makes small talk about having to stop at walmart in dunkirk to get diapers and other stuff, then loads everything up in his pickup and leaves. all the while, his friends are waiting at walmart for him to show up. have cameras ready.

so guy shows up and goes inside while friends are outside watching his truck from a distance waiting for the scum to come. they might come; they might not. but if they do and the crime happens, i'm sure the friends can follow until police can catch up and pull them over. i'm not saying to confront the scum (unless its obvious he/they can be overpowered), but the satisfaction of stopping this jackhole and recovering yours and other stolen firearms will be worth it. just my opinion however.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    After hearing of similar incidents at on-target, I now always make sure to be aware of my surroundings and take a couple false turns to try to clear anyone following. Of course, these days it's not hard to stick a GPS somewhere on the car and just Rob the home when you leave.

^This.

I remember the story about the other member getting his handgun stolen as well. When I go to On Target, I park directly in front and look around to see what cars are there and if people are just sitting in them. Same thing when I get out. But, I am usually with a buddy so it is easier for me to check to see if anyone is following us as we leave.

Sometimes we will stop at Chipotle and that always makes me tense. But, I just tell my friend what I want and I wait somewhere outside with a clear view of the car.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I am a naive sort of guy and someone following me 17 miles would never have occurred to me, so thanks for posting and I am sorry for your loss.

>Turd in every punchbowl?<
    oh oh I better wash that out.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    I'm really sorry for what happened. Any way there might have been security tape from the range that saw your vehicle leave and then your followers?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    People need to be more alert in general. It is VERY VERY hard even with numerous people in several cars to follow someone who is aware and alert.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    FWIW, I never left the range without a ready weapon. I also did not stop on the way home.

I'm not suggesting you do what I did (whilst in Not So MerryLamb) or do anything illegal.

That said, SA is key. Semper Paratus makes sense too.

Kershaw has been sending me some knives for review, and I'm just going to put it out there that I think everyone on this forum should get a Thermite from that company.

KAI, who owns kershaw, also makes Zero Tolerance knives, and they have their heat treat down COLD. I don't get anything for telling you guys this other than knowing it might make you a bit safer.

Anyways, they sent me the thermite tagging along with a much more expensive knife for review, and frankly I like the 20 dollar Rick Hinderer design better than the uber knife.

It's 8Cr13MoV, which I thought was just like AUS-8, but it retains an edge for EVER, and can be sharpened literally razor sharp with not much time with a diamond hone and a white rouge or chromium oxide strop.

The thing has assisted opening 'speedsafe' that's legal in MD, and I've been amazed that I've been able to use the thing so damned hard and still be able to shave arm hair with it. And I'm not talking about a few passes and you get a hair to sever- I'm talking literally one slight pass removing ALL the hair like an actual razor. I've been able to cut boxes all day and then come home knowing that if need be I could literally cut someone to the bone with EXTREMELY little force. Pocket clip rides low and is easily acessible and it deploys fast as hell. Can't believe how cheap these knives are.

Point is, whenever I have valuables I like to be armed. This lets me do that

Be nice if we could just WEAR THE SELFSAME FREAKING GUNS WE WANT TO KEEP SAFE

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    How about a real, common sense anti-crime law: Theft of a firearm from a vehicle carries a minimum 5 year prison sentence.

On Target, MSAR, and all the other ranges in MD could post a conspicuous warning sign on the premises and in their parking lots.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    sorry for your stuff getting stolen...but wth??? an off duty cop didnt do anything except call it in??:sad20:

Yup easy to say unless you realize you are taking on a lot of liability outside of your jurisdiction. Whose to say the LEO wasn't with a child or something and couldn't just dump off the kid and go play cop. Was the LEO armed? Most departments have a policy where they don't want you acting as a LEO while not being armed.

It's easy to sit here and read a sentence and make a judgement or comment but there are a ton of variables that would prevent most if not all LEO's from doing exactly what this LEO did. It's also likely he didn't actually see the theft in progress but rather made a logical deduction of facts after seeing the broken glass.

He did more then what the average person would have done. Many who witness crimes don't even call.

LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD
    4years ago car trunkwas busted intonothing taken,police looked at NRA sticker on window and said might have thought there were guns in trunk afterthat no more stickers of any kind.

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    How do you know you were followed? While likely, you haven't said anything that confirms that. I would never leave my vehicle unattended with expensive toys in it - especially if my wife was with me to stay in the vehicle.

He said the same car was at MSAR lot that was on the lot when his stuff was stolen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom