Flippers and Preppers and Uncle Sam: Which one is worse?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I'm not sure what category I'm in either. Not a prepper, although I'd like to be but I'm to much of a procrastinator... Not an opportunist because I've never sold any ammo... Not really a panic buyer because I haven't paid the extraordinary markups that were out there.

But, whenever I'd see some ammo available at a decent price I'd buy it. My current stocks are probably 3 times any previous peak (but would be laughably low to most folks here).

So, I can probably shoot the rest of the year without replenishing, but I'll continue to buy if I see ammo at a decent price. May get some MRE's too while I'm thinking about it...

same category here.

I will say this though, Being fairly new to things, I have learned a valuable lesson on being prepared for shitstorms like this as i hear they come around every so often. Never again will i have 0 target ammo around and not be able to shoot something that i want to.

As far as ammo hunting goes, the ammo is out there. You just cant expect it to walk into your hands and put the time and effort into finding it if you need some.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Gov't bailouts for ammo purchases ?! Must have blinked for those.

I've stopped going out of my way to purchse ammo after I calculated the true cost per box after gas expenses.

But overall I have shifted gears. 2013 is for items I can't or won't get after Oct 1 . 2014 will be for ammo and components.

Good thought process.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm not s flipper. Only sell rarely if an unexpected expense comes up. Hoarder, I don't think so even though I shoot less often. Prepper, maybe to a minor extent. I remember talking to the owner of an LGS back in Nov. and commenting that I had more ammo than I would probably need for a long time and was thinking of selling some. He said, don't do it, prices are only going to go up and I'd regret it. Best advice I've had in a long time. Now I have more than twice as much and feel comfortable. But it is hard to resist when you see good prices while in a WM.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    not a prepper, not a reseller. But anyone who didn't learn from Aesop's Fable of the ant and the Cricket has no one to blame but themselves. now this only applies to people that have been into firearms for some time. any newcommers cant be blamed.

EDIT. and before the shitstorm, i've given away plenty of ammo since the drought. all to FOBs just getting in the game that were left twisting in the wind.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    We would like to be able to buy a few boxes while we are out doing honey-do things etc. Sour grapes? Probably but of course you can see why.

Of course they can't. Some people on this board display a lack of empathy that borders on the pathological.

The good news is that speculative bubbles always burst. This one will be no different. Soon the Wal-Mart aisles will be awash in bulk packs of .22lr again, making everybody but the flippers happy. Those guys will get theirs - moaning about how they are stuck with a bunch of inventory they can't sell for what they paid for it. Fortunately, the flippers getting screwed when the bubble bursts is capitalism too.

Have a few coworkers who are getting stuck now. I'd 'help' take some inventory off one's hands, but he wants to get out what he bought it for, which is still too dire for me.

You are my libertarian hero!

Not in the least. You've merely found an intersection between libertarianism and conservatism.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I've been accused of 'gouging'. I don't think so.

Fact: I bought a metric butt-ton (okay, a couple tons) of once-fired last fall. I sold some to some folks on here for DANG good prices (a couple of them at or less than I paid for it - karma?) and didn't sweat it. I've also supported both juniors and my military team folks and didn't blink.
    Fact: some other folks that paid me market rates I saw shortly thereafter reselling it (post SH) for stupid amounts.

Fast forward to now: I happen to have an ad up for some stuff that I sell online for a lot more but knocked the price down for this site. And I'm still "a dick of a gouger"? I can sleep at night knowing that I'm running at or a hair under most other folks are listing as "sold out" so I must be doing okay.

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    I started really putting back ammo about 3 years ago. Once I hit about 2,500 rds per caliber, I figured it was enough. I only shoot semi regularly, just to keep my level of being to take out a bad guy ~ and in fun and interesting ways! (and I can do that with ease, as I'm sure many on here can) But when I do get away to shoot, I enjoy it immensely.
    I suppose it was around, ummm, I think - DECEMBER! -, I thought "oh shit!" because I knew exactly what these freakin professional politicans were going to try to do so I started buying again. I only even heard about this site very late in April and read a lot before signing up. Some of you have seen my ammo hunting posts and some have benefited; great, i'm happy. But as far as what I have for myself.... well, thats my business and whether its for shooting or leaner times or something other than desirable events happening - I don't care what you call it. It seems that some here (not all), whether you have ammo or not, are too wrapped up in labeling somebody something. Better labels would be "his business" - "my business" and let that be it!

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    I don't know which category I fall in, but while you're out scrounging up 3 boxes at a time, I'm walking down to my basement to dip into my mighty stash any time I want to go shooting. I guess me buying stuff to be prepared for times like this makes it tough on people like you? I'll think about that while I'm at the range blasting through ammo like I've got a mountain of it at home....because I do.

couldn't agree more... Will edit when I get through the rest of the thread..

I have plenty. Who is the worst? I think you left one out. They are called the crybabies who are a day late and a dollar short. They often use the word "gouge". I use the word "punk bitches".

another+1..

s for the ppl saying I they want to be able to just walk in after work n buy ammo like the good ole days.. well guess what.. I wish I could buy gas for 1 dollar a gallon like the good ole days to... but I don't see that happening anytime soon...

I.don't think anyone will be stuck with the ammo.. someone will ALWAYS buy it from them for at least what they paid.

GoO's

long time first time
    Jun 17, 2013
    just outside Balamer city
    Flipper/gauger = American capitalist.

I took a bunch of my ammo to Oaks Pa and set up with a buddy at a gun show back a few months ago. I was HAMMERING idiots! $100 a box for Remington 525 round packs of .22lr. $35 a box for mini mags. $900 a case for 5.56. The best was some kid (20's) asks me in his whinny superior tone ''is this box of remington 525 ANY different then the one I bought at walmart for $17 yesterday?'' So I say '' yes. You bought one box yesterday and I bought cases last year''. '' further more I have lots left and you don't, so I can sell mine and you can't''. It was great. He was pissed called me a gauger, I laughed in his face so did my friend. He sulked away and I sold all of the 525 I brought. can't wait to go back in Aug with all the ammo I have been grabbing up since then. Supply and demand is beautiful . . .if YOU have the supply.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Neither is worse than the other inherently, I believe. The only difference is when the person is buying ammunition. Whether it's a prepper or a gouger, I'm mad at the people who camped out at Walmart just to buy up everything they had (before the 3 box policy). I don't care whether they're throwing it in their basement forever or selling it online, it hurts the community either way. You wouldn't go to a buffet and fill a duffel bag full of shrimp, then get defensive when people start to complain. Supply is limited, it's common decency to only take what you need. It doesn't hurt the community if you stock up when supply is basically unlimited. Hell, that's smart.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Neither is worse than the other inherently, I believe. The only difference is when the person is buying ammunition. Whether it's a prepper or a gouger, I'm mad at the people who camped out at Walmart just to buy up everything they had (before the 3 box policy). I don't care whether they're throwing it in their basement forever or selling it online, it hurts the community either way. You wouldn't go to a buffet and fill a duffel bag full of shrimp, then get defensive when people start to complain. Supply is limited, it's common decency to only take what you need. It doesn't hurt the community if you stock up when supply is basically unlimited. Hell, that's smart.

Great post. You hit the nail on the head. They messed up the community by buying up what they dont need. Some people were buying and didnt even own guns. I am starting to see ammo all around. Pretty soon flippers will get stuck with their inventory.

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    When the new law passed I decided to purchase an AR and a couple of handguns. Judging from what I read online, I knew ammo was getting short. I remember when Obama was elected and the ammo dried up, so I started purchasing 5.56 even before I had bought the rifle. I would pick up a couple of boxes on line once in a while as I could just see not being able to shoot for lack of ammo. I am waiting on MSP for the ND on all the guns I bought, and I have a sufficient supply of ammo to enjoy them. What is really funny is I hadn't owned a gun for 30 years until Obama and the Democrats got a majority. As far as gun control, you would think they wouldn't encourage MORE people to buy guns with their policies.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    ill say this to everyone who stays so mad...

Yes, its annoying as shit that you cant just go to a store and buy what ever you need due to previously stated reasons but there comes a point where you just have to deal with the situation.

I was a rookie that was all pissed off and upset that i didnt have any ammo for any of my firearms and couldnt find it anywhere. I just really got into things at the wrong time, (around march or so) and had NO CLUE what kind of shit storm i was in.

I had to learn the tricks of the trade and eventually got what i needed and then some. This isnt the first and wont be the last time this situation happens. So just make sure you set yourself up for the next round of shit and things wont be so bad when it hits. Then you wont give a shit who is a prepper, flipper, slam dunker or what ever the hell the term at the time is lol.

Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom