• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I got in there at about 10:15 AM. I was the very first one in the rifle range area. I had with me my SW 686 I got last January, shooting it only for the first time. I also had with me my Arsenal SGL21 with 5 30 round mags loaded to the full. I shot the Smith with no problem. When it was time for me to shoot some rounds from my AK, I only was able to fire about 20 rounds and then a round got stuck in the chamber. That basically ended my day at the range. I disassembled the receiver and could see the stuck round. I got out of the range and while waiting for my driver's license, I asked one of the counter guys if they have a gunsmith inhouse. He said the gunsmith will be there alter in the afternoon. He asked me what the problem was and he said he can take a look at it. I handed him the rifle, he did some jiggling, and was able to take the stuck round out. He said that I should never use Tula ammo again as they are junk. I've had this AK for a year now and has about 1,500 rounds thru it, mostly(about 90%) Tulas with no problem at all. I also shoot Tula in my AR and in my 9mm pistols and 45 pistols.

Anybody else have the same problem with Tula ammos?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    How dirty is your rifle chamber? Tula (and all steel-cased ammo for that matter) tends to increase fouling in that area and it *can* lead to a stuck case from time-to-time.

I'm also surprised they didn't have a rod for you to tap the round out from the muzzle end.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Wait. What lane were you on? I was there with my buddy. I think I was getting googly eyes over your AK when you were packing up to leave...

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    How dirty is your rifle chamber? Tula (and all steel-cased ammo for that matter) tends to increase fouling in that area and it *can* lead to a stuck case from time-to-time.

I'm also surprised they didn't have a rod for you to tap the round out from the muzzle end.

The chamber is clean. I always clean my rifles/handguns after a trip to the range.

I am not sure if he used a rod to tap the round out as he took it to a different part of the store. That place is huge and he was easily 20 feet away from me.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I think this is a dirty barrel issue. Or dirty something in that area. I have a marlin .22 (I know rimfire is different) but the thing never jams. This weekend I had a couple actually jam in the barrel. Cleaned it out and it was filthy.

Either that or just a bad load. Wouldnt worry about it. Tula is fine. Been shooting it through my SKS.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Always take a solid or sectioned rod to the range to knock out stuck cases.

Theres nothing wrong with using Steel Cased ammo in an AK. The Gunshop person is HEAVILY misinformed.

serth

Aug 14, 2012
    Dont know if true or not but I have heard a build up of laquer from the coating could cause that if they were laquer coated.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    It's not a semi-auto rifle, but I've had better luck with Tula steel case than Remington UMC brass in my Taurus 9mm with a 15rd mag. I'd heard that Tula wasn't good, and was dirtier than most other brands, but while the steel case isn't as flashy, it sure has performed better.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Funny, the range employee told me that I am not allow to use my steel case ammo, sold me 20 rounds of Fiocchi's 7.62 for 1 dollar a round. I was the sucker paid for it. And it jam every other round... I think it has something to do with the soft brass... but I did not have any problem with tula and bear.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Tula is GTG through my Arsenal. How's your mag? My 21 can be choosy about mags.

I am using Polish steel mags. They are all in very good to excellent condition. No dings in any of them. I've using these 5 mags since I got my AK last year.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Funny, the range employee told me that I am not allow to use my steel case ammo, sold me 20 rounds of Fiocchi's 7.62 for 1 dollar a round. I was the sucker paid for it. And it jam every other round... I think it has something to do with the soft brass... but I did not have any problem with tula and bear.

steel core is not allowed.. steel case is fine.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Always take a solid or sectioned rod to the range to knock out stuck cases.

Theres nothing wrong with using Steel Cased ammo in an AK. The Gunshop person is HEAVILY misinformed.

Dude working the front at MSAR told me I shouldn't used steel-cased in my AR. I was like :wtf:

I'm not really surprised at this. This is the same shop that said my p90 and scar were regulated. Plus this: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2464003&postcount=299

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom