• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Been thinking about doing a video for our you tube channel with some basic supplies that should be in everyones kit. Maybe i'll get it done this weekend and post it up!

Most guys that I know keep a basic get through the moment kit. This includes first aid and survival supplies (whistle, matches, compass). The compass helps you get your bearings on a moonless cloudy night. It is easy to get turned around at night in the dark woods.

The more complete kits are normally left in the vehicle since it is the natural rally point. The reason I say kits, I use a complete first aid kit in addition to hunting/retrieval stuff, because we are dragging around razors. They do not discriminate between species, and do their job extremely well.

Hydration is critical. You do not realize how much water is consumed sitting there waiting, and even more when you are dragging dead weight.

Dress for the weather.

Morning hunters usually do not need so much kit, because they can retrieve the deer during the light of day. We who hunt after work, need to be prepared for a night track.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Been thinking about doing a video for our you tube channel with some basic supplies that should be in everyones kit. Maybe i'll get it done this weekend and post it up!

Good idea.

Suggestion:

Keep it simple, basic, minimalistic, and absolutely essential.(there, I've told you how to do your job:o)

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'll be doing both, some hunting in the mornings and a few times after work as well, so I guess I'll cover all my bases as far as equipment goes. I'd rather get out there and have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Most of the area being hunted will most likely be Charles and St. Mary's but also may hunt the BARC (Dept of Agriculture land) in PG County. Definitely looking forward to the start of the season!

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Remember where your fingers are. A trip to the ER and a missed deer are doubly painful. Keep everything out of the strings line.

I take a field point tipped arrow with me so I can fire the bow when I'm done without damaging a broadhead. I don't like leaving the xbow cocked unless I know I will be out the next day.

If you have a low end red dot, remember to turn it off.:banghead:

Always carry TP or an alternative, Mother Natures alternatives suck.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    After being rained out this afternoon, I was swapping out batteries in my kit getting it ready.

Attached is my basic kit. additional items will be added depending on the type of hunt: stalk - treestand - blind.

Attachments

• base kit.jpg
      base kit.jpg
      144.4 KB · Views: 273

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Make sure you buy a cross bow target. Bolts will go clean through a standard bow target
    Or buried so far in the target you cant get it out....

After being rained out this afternoon, I was swapping out batteries in my kit getting it ready.

Attached is my basic kit. additional items will be added depending on the type of hunt: stalk - treestand - blind.

Do you have a sharpener/stone as well?

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    also be aware that the arrows will travel through the prey. I had a doe lined up once with a young deer beside it (behind it from my point of view). I waited until the young one backed out of the way before firing and my arrow went right through the doe and could have injured the younger deer. It's amazing what those things are capable of

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I do, but I don't carry it around.

That stays in the house.

I think I finally am getting my hunting bag together...after the elk i shot the other day I was severely in need of good knives...I dug out my buck knife and a couple other knives and I carry a decent sharpener thats compact.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'll be heading out Friday after work and hopefully giving a deer a dirt nap. Crossbow is all sighted in and ready to rock and roll.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll be heading out Friday after work and hopefully giving a deer a dirt nap. Crossbow is all sighted in and ready to rock and roll.

Good luck! If you succede, don't forget to post pics. on "The official 2015Bambi whacking thread"

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Good luck! If you succede, don't forget to post pics. on "The official 2015Bambi whacking thread"

I've been lurking, waiting to post lol. My buddy said he's had an 8 point hanging around his property that he's saving for me, so we will see come Friday evening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom