• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    My uncle decided he didn't want his Barnett Revolution so it's officially mine now and all it took was a promise to kill a deer this season. He shot it maybe 10 times to get it zeroed and since then has sat in a closet at his house for 2 or 3 years, uncocked the whole time.

Any suggestions or tips for a newbie to crossbows? I'll be heading out with a buddy who is experience in archery once the season kicks off.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Realize the trajectory or your bolts and understand arrows need a clear flight path to their target. Practice practice practice.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Copy that. I'll be out there in a few weeks when I get back from a work trip getting some more time in behind it. I'm going to keep my maximum shooting distance conservative for a while until I get more comfortable with it.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    practice practice practice... know your limits.

Shooting from a stand vs on the ground = different entry/exits points.

Enjoy and hope you grab a deer!

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    The thing that took me a while with a crossbow was becoming comfortable with shooting offhand as well as shooting from a shooting stick. At first, I was far too reliant on the stick to steady my crosshairs and I missed out on deer moving and re-adjusting the rest prior to lining up the shot. I finally realized that if I didn't learn how to forget the stick, swing the xbow off it and fire quickly, I'd wait the things right out of range time and time again hoping for a *perfect* shot. The deer often don't come out of the woods or fields from the predictable, well-worn trails and if you aren't able to adapt and shoot quickly when one bumbles into range from a surprising direction(like from right behind or directly in front of you), you will leave underutilized space in your freezer.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Being a pretty new CB, I would shoot it at least 50 times and wax that string religiously to get all the stretch out before you rely on the aim point. Re-sight it with the broadheads your gonna use...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Being a pretty new CB, I would shoot it at least 50 times and wax that string religiously to get all the stretch out before you rely on the aim point. Re-sight it with the broadheads your gonna use...

You may want to try mechanicals. Some even come with practice heads having the same shape and weight.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Thanka for all the suggestions guys! I have a Barnett Revolution and ended up getting some G5 mechanical broadheads. A buddy said he has gotten some good results with them. It's all cleaned, waxed and lubed up.....that sounded really dirty lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanka for all the suggestions guys! I have a Barnett Revolution and ended up getting some G5 mechanical broadheads. A buddy said he has gotten some good results with them. It's all cleaned, waxed and lubed up.....that sounded really dirty lol

Good luck and happy hunting!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Get yourself a good range finder as you need to know how far the bow will shoot and how far the animal is from you. otherwise you will think its closer or farther away than it actually is. Good luck hunting!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Get yourself a good range finder as you need to know how far the bow will shoot and how far the animal is from you. otherwise you will think its closer or farther away than it actually is. Good luck hunting!

:thumbsup:

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County

Now that we are talking about these....

Are the rangefinders that are "archery" models really worth any extra coin? I know they say that they can estimate distances based on being in a tree stand and whatnot, but do they actually work? Just curious if you guys had any experience with them. I've seen a model or two from Nikon but wasn't sure how well they worked.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Are the rangefinders that are "archery" models really worth any extra coin? I know they say that they can estimate distances based on being in a tree stand and whatnot, but do they actually work? Just curious if you guys had any experience with them. I've seen a model or two from Nikon but wasn't sure how well they worked.

I havent used them but what you can do is range specific trees while on the ground and note the distances and then range them while in the treestand and take note of the differences. You can buy the expensive range finder but it doesnt do you any good if you cant hit what you are aiming at.:)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Yes, but you do not need to go high end.

I look for the archery/rifle models. The longer ranges are not the problem, cheap models will range a deer out to a couple of hundred yards.

The range finder needs to be accurate from 10 yards out to 50 (if you are using a barnett).

If you got a handle on subtending (finger method to judge distance), then maybe not. After 30 yards, my subtending skills suck, and the reason for the need to use a laser range finder.

Some other items you will need for your kit:
    1) cyan blood tracker flashlight for the second hunt. Stay away from the green bloodtrackers. The green light turns blood black. The cyan, causes the red blood to pop in freshly fallen foilage.

2) A bright head lamp. Field dressing a deer in the dark requires 2 hands, holding a light makes the task all the more difficult.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes, but you do not need to go high end.

I look for the archery/rifle models. The longer ranges are not the problem, cheap models will range a deer out to a couple of hundred yards.

The range finder needs to be accurate from 10 yards out to 50 (if you are using a barnett).

If you got a handle on subtending (finger method to judge distance), then maybe not. After 30 yards, my subtending skills suck, and the reason for the need to use a laser range finder.

Some other items you will need for your kit:
    1) cyan blood tracker flashlight for the second hunt. Stay away from the green bloodtrackers. The green light turns blood black. The cyan, causes the red blood to pop in freshly fallen foilage.

2) A bright head lamp. Field dressing a deer in the dark requires 2 hands, holding a light makes the task all the more difficult.

This list has a lot of growing room.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Another trick I use for night tracking is to mark the trail with childrens glowsticks. The bracelet 5 in a pack for a dollar kind.

Yeah, you got to go back and pick them up, but you can see your track in the dark. Not to mention leaving a trail your helpers can easily follow. :)

Toilet paper works great during the day, but hard to see at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom