• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbrenner

Jan 31, 2011
    Behind the Iron Curtain
    Hi,

Over the weekend I tested my first reloads. 9MM with 125 gr HAP and 125 gr Sierra Match FMJ. Both over 4.0 gr Winchester 231. It was a great feeling to have them all go bang and cycle both my XDM and my friends SIG.

I can't wait for this weekend to get to the next couple of batches. I am going to up the charge a little and I also have Tightgroup powder to try.:D

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Congrats. Hopefully you retrieved all those fired cases. :thumbsup:

9x19 is not a difficult round to load as you now know. We're certain there will be many other die sets in your future to load calibers for guns you don't even own yet.

BTW, when are you going to start casting your own .356/125's?
    :innocent0

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Titegroup is a good powder, it's done well by me in .45ACP. It can be a bit sooty at lower charges, but you'll know when you hit that happy spot.

Congrats on a new life-long hobby/obsession. :D

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    It's good they go bang, it's better if they go bang and you still have your fingers!

The sence of accomplishment you get from doing things yourself is one of a kind. Especially when you get them to hold a group and zeroed.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Hi,

Over the weekend I tested my first reloads. 9MM with 125 gr HAP and 125 gr Sierra Match FMJ. Both over 4.0 gr Winchester 231. It was a great feeling to have them all go bang and cycle both my XDM and my friends SIG.

I can't wait for this weekend to get to the next couple of batches. I am going to up the charge a little and I also have Tightgroup powder to try.:D

Sounds about right, I am running 115gr plated RNs with 4.3 gr W231.

I also have a lb of titegroup but when I saw how well the w231 shot, I will save the TG for when 231 runs out.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Congratulations! It is a good feeling to load and shoot your own rounds.
    I use a somewhat stiffer load -4.5gr W231 which I need to cycle my Glock 34, but I have used down to 3.9 for my CZ
    I like W231 l little better than the Titegroup but that is personal preference. I think that Titegroup and American Select are "snappier"
    DocAitch

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Congrats, I remember the first group of reloads well.

Titegroup is a bit sooty, especially with cast lead rounds.

My personal load with 115gr FMJ RN is 4.3gr of titegroup, works well and my beretta 92 eats them like tic tacs.

Stu929, I'd be happy to load you some on my press, shoot me a PM. I'm on vacation next week and I live in essex.

cbrenner

Jan 31, 2011
    Behind the Iron Curtain
    Thanks for all the congrats. I still have plans for next batches this weekend. Going to 4.3 of the Win 231. Then start working with the titegroup on both bullets. I bought some 147 gr Hornady XTP that will be after that. Then i need to get them Chronoed and do some accuracy testing. Reall interested in the 147 gr. See what they feel like at minor power factor speeds (850-900 fps)
    Stu - i would love to help you but, not that confident yet.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Hi,

4.5 of tight group w/ 115 grn is a nice light load that cycles all guns but still great for PA steel.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Thanks for all the congrats. I still have plans for next batches this weekend. Going to 4.3 of the Win 231. Then start working with the titegroup on both bullets. I bought some 147 gr Hornady XTP that will be after that. Then i need to get them Chronoed and do some accuracy testing. Reall interested in the 147 gr. See what they feel like at minor power factor speeds (850-900 fps)
    Stu - i would love to help you but, not that confident yet.

dont waste the xtp bullets using titgroup or 231, it won't push them fast enough to open up. Try HS6 for the XTPs

cbrenner

Jan 31, 2011
    Behind the Iron Curtain
    TD,
    Not really trying to get them to open up. More getting the speed for a 147 gr to make the minimum power factor for action pistol. They were the only 147's they had in stock. I hope berry's or hornady come out with a target type round. Berry's has a round nose only.

Thanks for the heads up though. I may try that powder after I use more of what I have.

Chip

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    TD,
    Not really trying to get them to open up. More getting the speed for a 147 gr to make the minimum power factor for action pistol. They were the only 147's they had in stock. I hope berry's or hornady come out with a target type round. Berry's has a round nose only.

Thanks for the heads up though. I may try that powder after I use more of what I have.

Chip

For good target 9mm check out Ranier bullets. I like the plated 124 gr over 4.3 gr titegroup.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom