• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Hello, everyone...

I'm just starting my research into buying my first real rifle, to bring to the range and gloat at. The old .22 has moved on to my son and I am looking for something... more. Anyways, can anyone point me in the right direction in making the right choice,range of costs I'll be looking at. Right now, I'm thinking an M14 ERB would just be awsome to have aestheticlly speaking and to shoot. While searching into these, I see that the M1A comes up alot as well, though not as pretty to me... whats are the big differances between the to?

Thanks alot. Any positive and educational input would be appreciated.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The M14 was originally configured as a military select fire weapon, and when we think of "M14", we usually think of the military version.

There are a lot of rifles that are basic copies of the M14 that are semi-auto only, but they are still called an M14.

"M1A" is a trade name by Springfield Armory, a commercial company, for it's own version of the semi-auto M14.

I have an M1A and it's a great rifle, as would be any good quality semi-auto M14.

That said, you may be better served by an AR-15 as a "second gun". It will have less recoil, be much cheaper to buy and shoot, and can be used more easily in many more situations than the M14/M1A (home defense, open carry (LOL), three-gun comps, High Power comps, etc.) and easier to teach the kids to shoot.

The AR-15 is also modular, and the upper half can be swapped out to completely change the personality of the rifle. One can go from a lightweight 16" HD gun to a "service rifle" high power match gun to a heavy scoped varmint rifle.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    pictures worth a thousand words.:innocent0

Attachments

• ebr.jpg
      ebr.jpg
      86.2 KB · Views: 409
    • EMR.jpg
      EMR.jpg
      26.4 KB · Views: 421

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hello, everyone...
    I see that the M1A comes up alot as well, though not as pretty to me... whats are the big differances between the to?

Thanks alot. Any positive and educational input would be appreciated.

You won't likely find an M14 for anything that would approach affordable, I don't know how many select fire M14's are in civilian hands, but that not withstanding, the M1A is a fine choice. Don't get M14 confused with the Polytech M14S (which is really just an M1A from China.)

First, new or used. That is the question, new M1A's are available, but this is a weapon capable of firing thousands upon thousands of rounds before needing to be rebarreled (according to Fred of Fred's M14 gunstocks) assuming it wasn't abused. Lots of people like to buy "new" and I don't blame them... Fulton Armory, Smith Enterprises, Springfield Armory all have good reputations and offer expensive M1A rifles that deliver.

Used rifles offer you the chance to get into the M1A a bit cheaper, actually a lot cheaper. I have scored an M1A style rifle for as little as $800 and even managed to get a genuine Springfield for $1000. All these guns were VERY lightly used (under 100 rounds for the Polytech's and while unknown round count on the Springfield, it looks practically unused.)

Who's M1A to get. Well that's a great question, I decided to get two of the Polytech's and one Springfield. Although I have not shot these yet myself (a problem that will be resolved tomorrow.) The receivers and barrels on the Polytech are reasonably high quality (strangely enough the Polytech receivers are forged and sought out for being higher quality than the Springfield receiver)... the only area that has historically been a problem on any Polytech has been the bolt, this can be easily resolved by retrofitting an M-14/M1A bolt to the weapon should problems occur. I'm willing to roll the dice and see.

The suggestion of the AR-15 lego set is cool, everyone has one, they are great fun and as noted far less expensive to shoot. However they don't have the classic lines of the M14/M1A, a true battle rifle. Like you, I love the looks and functionality of the EBR stock and plan to put one of my M1A's into one, eventually.

Mark

PS - Which one is the Springfield?

Attachments

• DSCN1122.jpg
      DSCN1122.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 410

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    That thing looks like it was built with an erector set :sad20:
    The M14 was one of the best looking MBR ever made but that is the best example of how bad you can F up a great rifle trying to make it more "tactical".

Going to have to disagree with you here.

I'm not particularly found of it's looks myself (I'm a wood guy as you know) but the functional improvements with the modern stocks are undeniable.

Net-net? You end up with a better working, more accurate and more versatile rifle. Downside is looks. Unfortunately, looks won't save your life which is why socom started changing the chassis.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My guess would be the one in the middle, without the bayonet lug.

Actually it's the one on the bottom with the bayonet lug... It's a preban! :) The one in the middle is a Polytech in an M14 stock.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    That thing looks like it was built with an erector set :sad20:
    The M14 was one of the best looking MBR ever made but that is the best example of how bad you can F up a great rifle trying to make it more "tactical".

I do understand your concern, But the Sage EBR stock chassis resolves the problems associated with the wood stock itself. While it looks pretty, it is prone to warping, it is affected by moisture or relative humidity and changes in that affects accuracy. The weight also soaks up recoil. An EBR is one soft kicking 308. You have to shoot one to understand.

My M1a used to shoot 1.2moa with match ammo. @100 yards. The Sage stock, freefloats a good portion of the barrel, improved harmonics and resulted in groups of about .75MOA. No bedding required. It also makes using optics a lot easier as LOP and cheekweld / height is adjustable. You can pretty much custom fit the rifle to you.

It is not pretty as wood, but it gave life to bunch of mothballed M14's sitting in storage. The M14/Sage is one of the best DMRs in combat right now. Being used by Army, USCG , Navy ( SEALS) and Marine combat units. Rails allow for all the modern devices ( Optics, designators, bipods etc). The M14 is as tough as an AK 47 and when set up with the sage EBR chassis,/ optics can rival many Bolt guns in terms of accuracy. Keep the wood stock if you want aesthetics... But to win long range gunfights.... The M14/M1a in a Sage EBR/EMR set-up is hard to beat.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I will second Ed's recommendation: AR-15. Get an 5.56mm NATO upper to start and you will be able to shoot easily and accurately out to 300 w/o breaking the wallet, and as your wind reading skills improve, 600 or even beyond. Then if you out-run that, you could add a 6.5mm Grendel upper to your AR-15 lower, maybe with a 24" barrel, and have no problem getting out to 1000yds, with better ballistic profile than the AR-10s. You save a ton of money along the way, which you can invest in important things like a quality optic, optic mount and ammunition.

Are AR-15s as sexy as a M-14? No, but for learning marksmanship and for its modularity, it is tough to beat.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    while thtat new stock may work well, to me an M14 in anything but wood is like taking a 64 fastback mustang and chopping it up into one of those ridiculous street racers with lights hydraulics and a big ridiculous spoiler.

you very well may improve the performance in the process, but is it really what you want?

this of course is my own personal opinion, and im very much a traditionalist, so dont goputting too much stock into what i say if the newEBR stock really is what you want.

although even if you do want an EBR m14, imo i'd go with a socom, beautiful and functional.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    while thtat new stock may work well, to me an M14 in anything but wood is like taking a 64 fastback mustang and chopping it up into one of those ridiculous street racers with lights hydraulics and a big ridiculous spoiler.

you very well may improve the performance in the process, but is it really what you want?

this of course is my own personal opinion, and im very much a traditionalist, so dont goputting too much stock into what i say if the newEBR stock really is what you want.

although even if you do want an EBR m14, imo i'd go with a socom, beautiful and functional.

Everybody is different but I will take a ugly .75MOA gun over a good looking 1.25MOA shooter.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    The M14 was originally configured as a military select fire weapon, and when we think of "M14", we usually think of the military version.

There are a lot of rifles that are basic copies of the M14 that are semi-auto only, but they are still called an M14.

"M1A" is a trade name by Springfield Armory, a commercial company, for it's own version of the semi-auto M14.

I have an M1A and it's a great rifle, as would be any good quality semi-auto M14.

That said, you may be better served by an AR-15 as a "second gun". It will have less recoil, be much cheaper to buy and shoot, and can be used more easily in many more situations than the M14/M1A (home defense, open carry (LOL), three-gun comps, High Power comps, etc.) and easier to teach the kids to shoot.

The AR-15 is also modular, and the upper half can be swapped out to completely change the personality of the rifle. One can go from a lightweight 16" HD gun to a "service rifle" high power match gun to a heavy scoped varmint rifle.

Be aware, the "M14" or M1A is a regulated weapon. Whereas, an AR-15 HBAR is not.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Don't get me wrong.. The AR15 is an excellent rifle. But the M1A/M14 is a pleasure to shoot. The Iron sights are second to none. It does not kick hard like the G3, FAL-FN, Cetme.

And best of all...It thumps the target with authority. It kinda like on weekdays I drive a honda civic, but on weekends.... Bring out the Mustang

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Don't get me wrong.. The AR15 is an excellent rifle. But the M1A/M14 is a pleasure to shoot. The Iron sights are second to none. It does not kick hard like the G3, FAL-FN, Cetme.

And best of all...It thumps the target with authority. It kinda like on weekdays I drive a honda civic, but on weekends.... Bring out the Mustang

Is the difference between recoil that much different from the M1A and the other ".308 battle rifles"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom