• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    SBR gives you a legal butt stock.
    The thing that works in favor of PSA is availability and cost. I have enough lowers to play around with brands not endorsed by reddit, and if it really is that bad, I can build a better pistol when the components are available.

A really dummy question, but a serious one - Why will you want to go with SBR and stamp?, when you can have a pistol kit shipped to your home, which makes your build shorted than 29".
    Coehorn answered the SBR question.

I have seen WAY too many PSA uppers fail. My saying is, "friends don't let friends buy PSA".
    I guess, maybe some day they'll sue me, but their stuff is still, at best, hit or miss.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    View attachment 465317
    You're gtg with a PSA pistol build kit and blank lower. The lower just can't have been a rifle and had to be bought as either a pistol or frame/receiver. Here's my 8.5" psa. I see no point in SBRing braced pistols.
    I'm sorry smokey, I've seen and dealt with too much of their crap, first hand.

trance3

Jun 13, 2013
    Coehorn answered the SBR question.

I have seen WAY too many PSA uppers fail. My saying is, "friends don't let friends buy PSA".
    I guess, maybe some day they'll sue me, but their stuff is still, at best, hit or miss.
    I am not committed to PSA, but the availability is something in their favor. I will take your recommendations for other brands, if they are available. The thing that works for PSA is that it is a whole kit and I don't have to buy 3 dozen more parts from half dozen websites to build it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am not committed to PSA, but the availability is something in their favor. I will take your recommendations for other brands, if they are available. The thing that works for PSA is that it is a whole kit and I don't have to buy 3 dozen more parts from half dozen websites to build it.
    Do yourself a favor and look around. PSA is often slapped-together junk, mixed full of factory seconds.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I am not a huge fan of PSA, but they are affordable. As long as you are building a pistol, you are fine with pre or post 2013 lowers. The pre's will continue to hold their value as such.

If you were to build an SBR(see NFA) with a pre '13 lower, it would need to comply to the post '13 regulations because you would be "making" a new gun.
    I'm not sure I understand why pre 2013 lowers have any more value than post 2013 lowers to anyone other than the original (pre 2013) owner.

I get that they can be used to build a non-HBAR 5.56 rifle by the original owner. But can the original owner transfer that rifle to anyone outside of inheritance? Or if you sell the lower to someone else in MD, can they legally build a non-HBAR 5.56 rifle with it?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm not sure I understand why pre 2013 lowers have any more value than post 2013 lowers to anyone other than the original (pre 2013) owner.

I get that they can be used to build a non-HBAR 5.56 rifle by the original owner. But can the original owner transfer that rifle to anyone outside of inheritance? Or if you sell the lower to someone else in MD, can they legally build a non-HBAR 5.56 rifle with it?
    The only value is to the original purchaser or inheritor and as you said, to build out as a non H-bar. Other than that, no appreciable value to anyone else.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    The only value is to the original purchaser or inheritor and as you said, to build out as a non H-bar. Other than that, no appreciable value to anyone else.
    Thanks.

Had I been well informed enough when I moved to MD in 2010 to have bought one or two, I'd definitely be saving them for non-HBAR builds. I dont mind my 16" HBAR, but not having a pre-2013 lower, if I build a 20" I'll probably feel compelled to shell out the extra bucks for a fluted HBAR barrel to keep the weight down. I guess I could wait to see if the MD AWB ever gets repealed, but who knows if/when that will finally get finally decided.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks.

Had I been well informed enough when I moved to MD in 2010 to have bought one or two, I'd definitely be saving them for non-HBAR builds. I dont mind my 16" HBAR, but not having a pre-2013 lower, if I build a 20" I'll probably feel compelled to shell out the extra bucks for a fluted HBAR barrel to keep the weight down. I guess I could wait to see if the MD AWB ever gets repealed, but who knows if/when that will finally get finally decided.
    Though fluting does reduce weight, the original purpose for fluting is to increase a barrels surface area through which more heat can be expelled.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Though fluting does reduce weight, the original purpose for fluting is to increase a barrels surface area through which more heat can be expelled.
    It's a dual purpose! Win/win. For a 300blk I'd go 10.5" barrel where is was designed to shine with subs. There is a Troy upper that is nice and reasonably priced. With the included irons it saves you $200-300 for really nice BUIS. Throw on a red dot or whatever and you are GTG.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    IWI builds a decent carbine length AR, complete with a 'Gov't profile' HBAR barrel. That's rights...look inside the handguard. It's not a pencil barrel but it is lighter than a 16" HBAR. I don't recall if it is carbine or middy gas system. If middy the weight savings will be more readily realized. Maybe source an upper they sell to Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom