• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Feb 3, 2012
    MOCO
    I bought my first handgun recently, a Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45. Full size, standard GI model. I'd been debating what handgun to buy for probably a year now (S&W revolver? Glock .45? or 1911?) and decided on the RIA after someone on this site threw that name out there. I wanted a basic GI-type .45 and thats what I got, for $401.00 from Buds Gun Shop, and a transfer to Shooting Ventures in Monrovia.
    The gun came in a hard plastic case with one 8 round ACT magazine, and manual, and safety card. It had a coat of oil on it so I cleaned it and started familiarizing myself with dis/ass and nomenclature.
    The only thing I didn't like about the gun from the pictures I saw of it before I got it were the wooden grips, so I got a pair of black VZ Aliens. The wooden grips actually didn't look half bad when I got it.
    This is my first handgun and the first 1911 I've really gotten to examine and shoot, so I can't compare it to anything else. What I can say is that it feels heavy duty, like it was meant to be. It's all steel, good black parkerized finish, good solid weight in the hand. It's basic, bare-bones, nothing fancy. The thumb safety has an audible "click" and feels strong, like it wouldn't accidently come off safe when carried (something I'm paranoid about from patrolling with an M4, that safety is easy to bump onto fire so I've developed a habit of keeping my thumb perpetually touching it).
    Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the RIA 1911. I put 100 rounds through it yesterday, shooting Winchester white box, 230-gr FMJ ammo. All I can say is "wow!". I'm by no means an experienced pistol shot so I can't delve into accuracy and all that, but the gun feels great and shot great too. The recoil was good but the solid weight made it feel easy to regain my sights. As far as reliability, I had 3 failures to feed, the last round in the mag didn't fully feed. This happened in both Wilson Combat mags I bought, the factory mag performed flawlessly. I'm not too worried about it.
    So overall, if you want a basic, bare-bones GI 1911, RIA is what you need. It's worth all of the $401 I paid. It's very user-friendly too. Mags eject smoothly out of the mag well, the safety feels strong. I've only put 100 rounds through it but I'll post if I find any problems with it down the road. I'm very pleased with this gun.

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Welcome to the forum!

You need to put a couple more hundred rounds through your 1911 gun before thinking about reliability issues. It is a bit odd that WC mags gave you FTFs, but your gun maybe preferring other brands ( Metalform or Kimber KimPro Tac for example). Time will tell. Enjoy your gun!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Very Nice. A 1911 is always a good choice. As for the Ftfs, put a few hundred more rounds through before you make any judgements on it, like said above.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Is 401 a normal selling price for these? I just sold my 1911 and i already want a new one. One that I don't have a fortune into that I can play with and don't have to worry about killing its value.

Steve

Feb 3, 2012
    MOCO
    Thanks for the input. I'm not worried about the 3 FTFs right now, like you guys said it takes alot more shooting to determine reliability, and alot more than just shooting, too. And no gun is 100% reliable, it's up to the shooter to master immediate and remedial action.

Stu, this gun is selling for $420 right now on budsgunshop.com. I've seen it for slightly under $400 there too, every now and then it's sold out too.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got the bright nickel version for $415. I need to shoot her again, I've only put 50 rounds through her. The magazine that came with her doesn't feed hollow points, so I snagged a WC. I need a few more mags for her, along with other stuff. I need a second job.

1. take picture
    2. Save to known file location
    3. Click post reply
    4. Click paperclip above text box
    5. In pop up box click chose file
    6. Click on photo of RIA 1911 in known file location
    7. Click upload
    8. Close popup window
    9. Click submit reply

:innocent0

:D sorry I'm impatient & horribly addicted to guns

Jim did you buy yours from buds gun shop as well? I've actually been thinking about getting one so I could do some things to it :)

Feb 3, 2012
    MOCO
    Picture...hope this works
    RIA 1911.jpg

Feb 3, 2012
    MOCO
    1. take picture
    2. Save to known file location
    3. Click post reply
    4. Click paperclip above text box
    5. In pop up box click chose file
    6. Click on photo of RIA 1911 in known file location
    7. Click upload
    8. Close popup window
    9. Click submit reply

:innocent0

:D sorry I'm impatient & horribly addicted to guns
    QUOTE]

There you go! Learn something new every day.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have a RIA GI 1911 as well, that I had refinished in manganese phosphate parkerizing. I love it. It was a gift from my brother and is a great shooter. Congrats and welcome!

Feb 3, 2012
    MOCO
    The grips are VZ Aliens. The smooth wood factory grips don't look too bad on the gun, but I was really turned off on the lack of checkering or grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom