• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    Hello all,

i am looking at purchasing my first hand gun. i currently have a couple rifles and a shotgun. i have done tons of reading online, as well as shoot many different ones. i would like to stick with a 9mm. i am looking at the Springfield Armory xdm 4.5.

i wanted to get some up to date opinions of people who own it, or previously owned it. pro's con's etc.

Also, can someone explain what exactly now needs to be done to own a handgun in MD, or point me in the right direction to read for myself. thanks

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Hello all,

i am looking at purchasing my first hand gun. i currently have a couple rifles and a shotgun. i have done tons of reading online, as well as shoot many different ones. i would like to stick with a 9mm. i am looking at the Springfield Armory xdm 4.5.

i wanted to get some up to date opinions of people who own it, or previously owned it. pro's con's etc.

Also, can someone explain what exactly now needs to be done to own a handgun in MD, or point me in the right direction to read for myself. thanks

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You have to be 21, pass a background check or two, no restraining orders, drug addictions etc.

Assuming you are not military, you need a license first, called a HQL
    There are courses for that or a Maryland hunter safety course qualifies or prior ownership of a regulated firearm. Then you need electronic fingerprints and fill out the application on the MD State Police webpage.
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

So I forgot, you get a background check with your license, walk into your local gun store, HQL in hand, pick out your gun, fill out 4 pages of forms, get another background check, pay the dealer for processing the MD paperwork and wait 7 days before you get to take home your purchase.

Freedom is not free

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Hello all,

For me the deciding factor was the cost of ammo to get enough practice in. I settled on the Springfield XD 9mm.

A 45 is not bad but the ammo does cost more.

I also wanted a firearm my wife would feel comfortable shooting. We went to Continental Arms in Timonium. I paid $5 for each rental firearm that day. She said she felt more comfortable with the 9mm than anything else.

You won't go wrong with a Springfield. Even if you end up with a caliber you don't like for one purpose you can always get another one.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    For me the deciding factor was the cost of ammo to get enough practice in. I settled on the Springfield XD 9mm.

A 45 is not bad but the ammo does cost more.

I also wanted a firearm my wife would feel comfortable shooting. We went to Continental Arms in Timonium. I paid $5 for each rental firearm that day. She said she felt more comfortable with the 9mm than anything else.

You won't go wrong with a Springfield. Even if you end up with a caliber you don't like for one purpose you can always get another one.

thanks, i am looking at the 9mm.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    You have to be 21, pass a background check or two, no restraining orders, drug addictions etc.

Assuming you are not military, you need a license first, called a HQL
    There are courses for that or a Maryland hunter safety course qualifies or prior ownership of a regulated firearm. Then you need electronic fingerprints and fill out the application on the MD State Police webpage.
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

So I forgot, you get a background check with your license, walk into your local gun store, HQL in hand, pick out your gun, fill out 4 pages of forms, get another background check, pay the dealer for processing the MD paperwork and wait 7 days before you get to take home your purchase.

Freedom is not free

great info. much appreciated.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Springfield makes excellent firearms. The model depends on what you want to do with it. If you are looking for a range and home defense pistol, the XDm will serve you well. If you are looking for something that you might eventually carry, but also want to shoot at the range and use for HD, consider the XDm "compact." Using the standard magazine you will get 13 + 1 capacity, but can use the full size magazines with a sleeve that will give you 19 + 1. Springfield ships its pistols with lost of goodies if you are considering informal or formal steel challenge or IDPA matches, basic holster, mag pouches, and all come with interchangeable back straps to fit your particular hands. If you are looking for a slightly smaller pistol, consider the XDs single stack in 9mm or .45. Less capacity but very thin, excellent shooters. I have several Springfields and all have operated malfunction free. You may save a $100 bucks or so going with the XD. They now have the XD Mod.2, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

No, I do not work for Springfield, I just trust their products.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    +1 for wanting 9mm:) Look at and handle as many different handguns as you can. Just because something looks good and is praised by others doesn't mean its right for you. Picking a handgun is like picking a woman...there are many that look good and that you want to make yours, but in reality there are only a few that will truly make you happy. The upside with a handgun is there are no divorce consequences if you decide to "get rid" of her or add another one. When I was shopping for a handgun I almost bought a Glock because it was suppose to be the cat's meow. Glocks are good...but I just didn't like the feel of it in my hand. I bought a Springfield XD instead because it fit me better. The newest addition is a Smith & Wesson M&P...I love the feel of it. I spent two weeks training with and firing 1000 rounds through a M&P with no issues...that's what sold me on it. Our "agency" tracks every round through the M&Ps that we use for qualifying /training...the one I qualified with two weeks ago has had 25,000 documented rounds through it. It still shoots great. The only problems that have been seen were slide stops breaking and locking blocks cracking...but that has been up around the 27-29000 round mark. Keep in mind that these weapons are not only shot a lot, but the slides are racked and are dry fired countless times practicing different drills and the course of fire even before we go out on the range. We shoot Federal 165gr HST and the armorer changes out the recoil spring and guide rods every 5000 rounds. I highly recommend the M&P...but again YOU have to get what fits YOU.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I have a 9mm Springfield XD service. 4" model. Love that thing! I just goes and goes. fits my hand very well.
    I did put a Talon grip cover on it, and makes a huge difference.

For the money, you can go wrong!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    First choice Glock 19, second Glock 17, and even though it is .45 ACP, you may want to test fire a Glock 21.

Boo. No glocks :rant2:

I'll 3rd, 4th or whatever were up to now on the xdm. My first pistol and I Absolutely love it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's hard to go wrong here. Make sure to hold the pistols to get a feel for them. If a range offers something you like for rent, try one out.

I'm partial to Glocks and am not fond of the Springfield trigger. That's just me though.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Everyone has their favorite. I thought I had the gun of my dreams in mind for my first, then I picked it up and held it my hand. It was all wrong for me. The sales guy at the counter suggested a few other models, and really stressed the importance of the fit in my hand. How reachable are all the controls? How does the trigger fit your finger? All things to consider.

In the end, I found the Ruger SR9c, which fit my hand like no other. That's the one I went with. Might not be right for you.

Try to hold as many as possible, narrow it down to 2 or 3 and then really do your research on their reliability and all the other things that are important to you.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Everyone has their favorite. I thought I had the gun of my dreams in mind for my first, then I picked it up and held it my hand. It was all wrong for me. The sales guy at the counter suggested a few other models, and really stressed the importance of the fit in my hand. How reachable are all the controls? How does the trigger fit your finger? All things to consider.

In the end, I found the Ruger SR9c, which fit my hand like no other. That's the one I went with. Might not be right for you.

Try to hold as many as possible, narrow it down to 2 or 3 and then really do your research on their reliability and all the other things that are important to you.

How it feels in your hand isn't as important as how well you can shoot it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hello all,

Sounds like you are on the right track, and you've received some excellent advice in this thread already. This is why I like MDShooters so much, we 'police' ourselves; and you are way more likely to get straight shooting advice here than any place else.

I don't really have anything to add; maybe if you have a specific purpose for the handgun, that would help otherwise, I think you've chosen a great one.

Live long and prosper. :)

P.s. - 501st - I put your item in the mail today; sorry for the snow delay.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    How it feels in your hand isn't as important as how well you can shoot it.

but feeling good in the hand plays a part in how well you shoot it. The gun that feels the best to me shoots the best for me. That may not translate the same to all users, but it's worked for me :D

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a XDM 5.25. Works great. Just like almost every other quality pistol in the world. Have a competition trigger in it now. It however doesn't fit my hand very well. Has a slab sided grip like a glock. I have a G17 too. Works great. Crapy grip. CZ & Sig have grips with palm swells that feel more natural. Helps keep a consistent grip which translates to accuracy. I wish more polymer gun manufacturers would use replaceable side grips instead of just the rear strap or at LEAST swell it out a little. Peoples hands are not flat anywhere when gripping an object. For a slim carry gun the slab side grip is probably a decent trade-off. But Im in MD and can't carry.

#1 Buy one that feels good in your hand.

I don't own a CZ75 (yet) but I bet most people would prefer the feel over an XDM. Both are fairly similar money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom