• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    You make compelling argument I think another question would be which rifle I should get first . I want the Winchester in 30-06 for the wall so my other rifle that’s in 248 or 270 should it be something like savage, x bolt, tikka, or a older Remington
    It really depends on where you plan to hunt. The 243 and 25-06 (a little hotter but almost the same caliber) are excellent long range calibers that are great for shooting antelope on the great plains and deer along cornfields. A single blade of grass can deflect both of these rounds. The 243 is based on a necked down 308 case and the 25-06 a necked down 30-06 case. A Winchester model 70 30-06 looks the same as a Winchester model 70 in 25-06 or 270 while hanging on the wall so you may be able to kill 2 birds, er deer, w/ one stone/rifle. :-) Chuck Hawks is a great source of info that may help you:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I know people been telling me 270, 6.5 or 243, I have a 308 ar10. I chose 30-06 because I wanted a classic traditional round, which is also why I chose browning being started by an American company, and the color hunter.
    Why not .308? If you already have the cartridge, why the heck introduce a new one? .30-06 does nothing, for a deer, that .308 doesn't do. The little extra juice is not worth the squeeze if you already own a .308.

.308 is no less common than .30-06, so it isn't like you might decide to go hunt somewhere, forgot ammo and need to walk in to a Wally world or some other gun or hunting store and...oh my gosh, they don't have my 300 Winchester super short magnum! They don't have .308, then they almost certainly don't have .30-06, and they probably don't have any ammo.

.30-06 means a longer action rifle, that weighs more and is longer. It ain't much, but you are still talking a couple of ounces and half an inch. Plus needing to buy a bunch more ammo in a new caliber.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a couple of .30-06. A Garand and a 1903A3. I'd consider another rifle in it, even a hunting rifle. But I am already in for having .30-06 ammo (and reloading components and dies as I reload). If I didn't have a Garand or 1903, not sure I'd get one. Certainly not if I already had a .308 (I do have a Sako in .308 which I use for deer hunting).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    More then likely just deer this season, I think I landed on getting a Winchester 70 pre64 in 30-06 that I can find for 800-1200. I’m starting reloading soon, there’s a lot of options for 30-06
    Reloading is always going to be cheaper and easier for .308. The cartridge is more efficient (uses less powder for the same velocity). You are talking about 15% less powder for the same velocity at the same grain weight of bullet.

There are as many or more options for .308 than .30-06. At least a quick perusal of the 10 reloading manuals I have, there slightly more listed loads in them than for .30-06. Not that it matters a lot, there is a ridiculous amount of reloading data for both cartridges.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I dont know how many pre 64 308 M70's are out there vs a 06.
    One could probably walk by a lot of nice 3006 rifles looking for a 308 and then overspend unnecessarily vs an 06 I'm thinking.
    How that equates to a 15% reduction in cost for powder consumption during the reloading process I'm really not sure how to equate any savings for a practice as such as that.
    Personally I would be considering other more important aspects such as quality of the timber, bedding, throat erosion quality of the finish, sighting options etc.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I dont know how many pre 64 308 M70's are out there vs a 06.
    One could probably walk by a lot of nice 3006 rifles looking for a 308 and then overspend unnecessarily vs an 06 I'm thinking.
    How that equates to a 15% reduction in cost for powder consumption during the reloading process I'm really not sure how to equate any savings for a practice as such as that.
    Personally I would be considering other more important aspects such as quality of the timber, bedding, throat erosion quality of the finish, sighting options etc.
    If it is for a very specific rifle, I agree. If not looking at a very specific rifle, then I'd look at something in .308. I assume OP will be living with it for a very long time. Cost of ammunition and reloading is just plain less with .308 than .30-06 and for deer around here, they are equally good. And if you ever want to varmint it, there are a lot more light for caliber loadings for .308 in reloading manuals than there are .30-06. I don't think I've stumbled over any 110gr .30-06 loads. Plenty of .308 110gr loads. You also have more recoil for the same energy in a .30-06 than a .308.

If its a gun that is only ever going to be shoot a few rounds a year, it doesn't really matter. Something that's going to have a couple of hundred rounds down the barrel every year, over 10 years, that adds up to hundreds of dollars cheaper for a .308 than a .30-06. Additionally, .308 is going to have less barrel erosion for the same course of fire and the same energy loads. Let alone using warmer .30-06 loads. I know you know more about it than I do. Mostly just writing it for OPs benefit.

A .30-06 wouldn't scare me away, but there are certainly negatives attached to it versus a .308. Some positives, but other than "this is the gun I want that is in my hand" or the gun I want is only made in it, the only real positives are that it can be loaded about 150fps faster for a given bullet weight and can reasonably take 200gr bullets, whereas .308 kind of really can't take 200s. So .30-06 makes a better moose or elk gun, and if you just really need the extra couple dozen yards of point blank range.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Ain't no one here the smartest guy or know more than any other in the room. Everyone together is pretty dag on smart though.
    As a matter of fact, I'm so smart I'm painting my interior when I should have been turkey hunting.
    But Ill will however finish with this.
    A dam supergrade 308 winchester m70 and one of those little 308 Browning x bolts are tough to beat deer rifles.
    Right out of the box, paired up with a decent 30 mm scope and good mounts, or any quality telescope system for that matter you cant go wrong.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Ain't no one here the smartest guy or know more than any other in the room. Everyone together is pretty dag on smart though.
    As a matter of fact, I'm so smart I'm painting my interior when I should have been turkey hunting.
    But Ill will however finish with this.
    A dam supergrade 308 winchester m70 and one of those little 308 Browning x bolts are tough to beat deer rifles.
    Right out of the box, paired up with a decent 30 mm scope and good mounts, or any quality telescope system for that matter you cant go wrong.

No worries. Instead of turkey hunting or fishing, the truly brilliant amongst us are stripping long past salvaging paint with a heat gun today.

There are truly a LOT of good rifles to be had today! Many of them aren't much for looks anymore, but most shoot better than ever. While OP might pull his hair out choosing, he'd have to work at it to truly screw up.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    If it is for a very specific rifle, I agree. If not looking at a very specific rifle, then I'd look at something in .308. I assume OP will be living with it for a very long time. Cost of ammunition and reloading is just plain less with .308 than .30-06 and for deer around here, they are equally good. And if you ever want to varmint it, there are a lot more light for caliber loadings for .308 in reloading manuals than there are .30-06. I don't think I've stumbled over any 110gr .30-06 loads. Plenty of .308 110gr loads. You also have more recoil for the same energy in a .30-06 than a .308.

If its a gun that is only ever going to be shoot a few rounds a year, it doesn't really matter. Something that's going to have a couple of hundred rounds down the barrel every year, over 10 years, that adds up to hundreds of dollars cheaper for a .308 than a .30-06. Additionally, .308 is going to have less barrel erosion for the same course of fire and the same energy loads. Let alone using warmer .30-06 loads. I know you know more about it than I do. Mostly just writing it for OPs benefit.

A .30-06 wouldn't scare me away, but there are certainly negatives attached to it versus a .308. Some positives, but other than "this is the gun I want that is in my hand" or the gun I want is only made in it, the only real positives are that it can be loaded about 150fps faster for a given bullet weight and can reasonably take 200gr bullets, whereas .308 kind of really can't take 200s. So .30-06 makes a better moose or elk gun, and if you just really need the extra couple dozen yards of point blank range.
    I brought my sfar for hunting as well, so there’s the 308.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    IMO- Bergaras are the most under rated rifles on the market.
    I have a B-14 BMP chassis rifle and it is a tack driver.
    WWWWWWWWOAHHHH

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    The first deer rifle I bought for myself was a mid 80’s manufactured Winchester 70 featherweight in 30-06. Love the rifle and cartridge used it several years in Frederick and Washington counties, now with the ability to use SW ammo statewide I’m leaning towards a 350 L or the new fangled 400. May just stick with the 44Mag for another year or two.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    The first deer rifle I bought for myself was a mid 80’s manufactured Winchester 70 featherweight in 30-06. Love the rifle and cartridge used it several years in Frederick and Washington counties, now with the ability to use SW ammo statewide I’m leaning towards a 350 L or the new fangled 400. May just stick with the 44Mag for another year or two.
    What make you choose to switch to those calibers?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    What make you choose to switch to those calibers?
    Deer hunting with bottleneck cartridges require me to go to counties that allow them. Straight walled, like the 350L, 44 Mag, etc. can be used state wide, pretty much where shotgun and slugs were required a few years ago. I still like the 30-06, just not the drives required to use it.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Deer hunting with bottleneck cartridges require me to go to counties that allow them. Straight walled, like the 350L, 44 Mag, etc. can be used state wide, pretty much where shotgun and slugs were required a few years ago. I still like the 30-06, just not the drives required to use it.
    What gun did you decide to get for these calibers?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    What gun did you decide to get for these calibers?
    I have a Winchester M70 in 30-06, and a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. I haven’t made a choice in other caliber’s yet. Torn between a CVA Scout or a Ruger American in 350L. Can’t make up my mind. :) I like the size and weight of the CVA. Ruger offers more than the single shot that is with the Scout. Probably don’t need more than one shot, but never know.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    I have a Winchester M70 in 30-06, and a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. I haven’t made a choice in other caliber’s yet. Torn between a CVA Scout or a Ruger American in 350L. Can’t make up my mind. :) I like the size and weight of the CVA. Ruger offers more than the single shot that is with the Scout. Probably don’t need more than one shot, but never know.
    If you're considering CVA why not the cascade? More of a direct competitor to the Ruger IMHO. I like mine.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Rugaroffers more then the single shot?

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    I passed up on a Winchester 70 that was 650 looked a little too worn down in the pics. Cabelas have one for 800 and 900 in thier used inventory but it’s hard to gauge if I’m over paying with just having pics and how they described the rifle

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    we have a used winchester 70 in stock with a Vortex scope for $650. see post #73 in this link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom