• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    That model 70 Winchester may be what I really want, honestly I initially wanted a classic hunting gun that I’ll use for a couple seasons then put up on the wall, but changed my mind. I’ve went down the rabbit hole with tikka and savage, and American Remington..really I just want something to get some experience and when I have more time and get a little more serious about hunting then I’ll upgrade. But I didn’t want to go really cheap since I plan on keeping it for when a friend or family member come along

You may well decide that you want a different rifle or a different chambering (or both) going forward. But you won't need one. Not with any of the rifles that have been mentioned here. The various models of.the basic Savage 110....the Tikka....the Winchester....the X-bolt.....all would serve you well, today and tomorrow both.

With regard to chambering, Maryland "big game" hunting is largely deer. For a handful of hunters, perhaps bear also in Western Maryland. Now if elk or moose are possibilities along with bear out of state at some point, the varying loadings inherent to '06 look better and better. Just deer? Still not a bad choice, but there are certainly arguments to be made for other and typically lighter chamberings.

Enjoy the journey down the rabbit holes....look how many directions this thread has gone already. Hell, that's half the fun! Good luck!

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The aftermarket on 70 Winchesters, pre 64, IMO, is nuts.
    Do you mean resale market prices are nuts or lots of aftermarket parts are available?
    Both my Model 70's are pre 64

I have also owned some nice Ruger M77 rifles. One was my 22-250.
    In the days I was shopping for hunting rifles, I could have chosen any model I wanted from a Win to a Rem to Weatherby, to Ruger, Browning, Savage, Marlin and I essentially made a few choices and shot what I got.
    Every one has taken game and made nice holes in paper/ milk jugs etc

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Do you mean resale prices are nuts or aftermarket parts available?
    Both my Model 70's are pre 64

I have also owned some nice Ruger M77 rifles. One was my 22-250.
    In the days I was shopping for hunting rifles, I could have chosen any model I wanted from a Win to a Rem to Weatherby, to Ruger, Browning, Savage, Marlin and I essentially made a few choices and shot what I got.
    Every one took game and made nice holes in paper/ milk jugs etc

Just to throw it out there, the modern day Winchester Model 70 Super Grade is no slouch either. If high quality walnut or maple and sharp checkering and deep polished bluing and controlled feed....all reminiscent of yesteryear are to your liking, it's more expensive than most of the rifles mentioned here....but certainly less expensive than most of the pre-64's.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Jesus now I think I want the Winchester, I’ll have to look into that tonight/tomorrow. I initially wanted a wooden gun similar to how a lot of Sks are and I could always change/keep the stock. My budget max is 1k but if I could I would prefer between 500-800 not including optics. Now I have to learn all the different Winchester 70 models. I would prefer a older model of one, I seen a couple between 500-2500 smh here I go again

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    That model 70 Winchester may be what I really want, honestly I initially wanted a classic hunting gun that I’ll use for a couple seasons then put up on the wall, but changed my mind. I’ve went down the rabbit hole with tikka and savage, and American Remington..really I just want something to get some experience and when I have more time and get a little more serious about hunting then I’ll upgrade. But I didn’t want to go really cheap since I plan on keeping it for when a friend or family member come along
    My oldest lad uses a M70 Supergrade now for field deer hunting in 308.
    Its a beautiful rifle and he drags that thing around like its a second hand truck gun or something.
    I even think its a right handed rifle and he shoots lefty.
    I forget the reason he told me why he was after a right handed rifle to begin with. I think its the way he sits or some weird stuff like that.
    Maybe its becuase his wife goes with him and he can hand it over to her or something if she wants to shoot one IDK what they do anymore.
    I do know its not knowing about deer hunting in Md or PA and what works for killing them thats for dam sure.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Jesus now I think I want the Winchester, I’ll have to look into that tonight/tomorrow. I initially wanted a wooden gun similar to how a lot of Sks are and I could always change/keep the stock. My budget max is 1k but if I could I would prefer between 500-800 not including optics. Now I have to learn all the different Winchester 70 models. I would prefer a older model of one, I seen a couple between 500-2500 smh here I go again

Here's a pretty good overview of the Super Grade. You really ought to handle one of these.

Don't let Portugal throw you. We could stand a whole lot more Portuguese quality here in the States. The first thing you'll notice is that it feels like the checkering will cut your fingers. Nice rifles IMO.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    What kind of game are you looking at hunting and distances. A few of my friends got rifles in 450 bushmaster and the deer drop quick.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    What kind of game are you looking at hunting and distances. A few of my friends got rifles in 450 bushmaster and the deer drop quick.
    More then likely just deer this season, I think I landed on getting a Winchester 70 pre64 in 30-06 that I can find for 800-1200. I’m starting reloading soon, there’s a lot of options for 30-06

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    More then likely just deer this season, I think I landed on getting a Winchester 70 pre64 in 30-06 that I can find for 800-1200. I’m starting reloading soon, there’s a lot of options for 30-06
    The new Supergrade M70's are pretty dag on nice. Hard to complain about a classic m70 though. SO many options out there though its hard to choose. But Ill tell you what, you could probably find a classic M70 easier than a new one. At least thats how it was when the boy went to pick one up. Which was honestly a few years back already maybe availability has improved by now.

The real qualifier in my book is choosing something that gives you confidence and more importantly something you like.
    No matter what, if you do not achieve those two identifiers successfully, your never going to be happy, especially in the realm of confidence becuase it will make you think twice when it comes time to lay one out. And could be a contributing cause for failure or dissatisfaction in some other manner.
    I generally carry a Savage 110 package gun for the most part when I go. Its a 270, but own use and actually killed Bags of deer with all kinds of stuff for as long as I walked the planet on the ESM.
    Its the ugliest rifle you ever saw though I will say that. So if you have a couple bucks to put towards something a little more decent I would advise that too just becuase you can.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    The new Supergrade M70's are pretty dag on nice. Hard to complain about a classic m70 though. SO many options out there though its hard to choose. But Ill tell you what, you could probably find a classic M70 easier than a new one. At least thats how it was when the boy went to pick one up. Which was honestly a few years back already maybe availability has improved by now.

The real qualifier in my book is choosing something that gives you confidence and more importantly something you like.
    No matter what, if you do not achieve those two identifiers successfully, your never going to be happy, especially in the realm of confidence becuase it will make you think twice when it comes time to lay one out. And could be a contributing cause for failure or dissatisfaction in some other manner.
    I generally carry a Savage 110 package gun for the most part when I go. Its a 270, but own use and actually killed Bags of deer with all kinds of stuff for as long as I walked the planet on the ESM.
    Its the ugliest rifle you ever saw though I will say that. So if you have a couple bucks to put towards something a little more decent I would advise that too just becuase you can.
    I really like the look and feel of wood and metal guns even with the weight. When i have more time and start having more time with my guys the next caliber I’m getting is defiantly going to be the 270. The range in prices from 550-2500 is daunting so I’m reading up on what the price Vs value are on the 70s. I want it to be a solid rifle but to me there’s something that can look a little too pretty

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    That’s a sexy rifle too smh why are you doing this to me but I’m going to stick with the Winchester. What’s the price range on the older Remington’s I’ve heard some disparaging things about the new ones but guys at work rave about the older ones. I’m assuming they come in 270 as well

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    OP, from your posts you have a limited arsenal and already have a 308 AR-10 that has basically the same ballistics as the 30-06. For this reason I would suggest considering another caliber. You will be hunting Whitetails in counties where you are not limited to straight wall cartridges or shotgun. Given this I would seriously consider 25-06, 248, 6.5 Swede, or 270 to be able to reach out an touch deer over long distances. You probably want something a heavier and slower for woods/thicker brush and shots under 100 yards. A 45/70 is nice for this and you can use it for black bear and is legal in all counties that permit straight wall cartridges. Brownings etc. are available in most of these calibers. 30-06 and 7mm mag will get the job done on deer but destroy more meat than the lighter calibers. There is no wrong answer so have fun.

Last edited:

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    OP, from your posts you have a limited arsenal and already have a 308 AR-10 that has basically the same ballistics as the 30-06. For this reason I would suggest considering another caliber. You will be hunting Whitetails in counties where you are not limited to straight wall cartridges or shotgun. Given this I would seriously consider 25-06, 248, 6.5 Swede, or 270 to be able to reach out an touch deer over long distances. You probably want something a heavier and slower for woods/thicker brush and shots under 100 yards. A 45/70 is nice for this and you can use it for black bear and is legal in all counties that permit straight wall cartridges. Brownings etc. are available in most of these calibers. 30-06 and 7mm mag will get the job done on deer but destroy more meat that the lighter calibers. There is no wrong answer so have fun.
    You make compelling argument I think another question would be which rifle I should get first . I want the Winchester in 30-06 for the wall so my other rifle that’s in 248 or 270 should it be something like savage, x bolt, tikka, or a older Remington

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom