• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Well, if you're spending under $200 for a barrel, you probably aren't doing yourself much good(but you still are), but if you are spending upwards of $350-$450 on a barrel, it's foolish not to.

So I’m guessing none of these are worth getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Also came across these 2

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I’m guessing none of these are worth getting?

What are you building? Pistol or rifle?

I am not well versed on Roscoe barrels. I've never used them, so I couldn't tell you their worth. You'd have to read up on them. I'm sure someone here has used them. Maybe they will chime in.

I true all my receiver extensions. Doing so always improves accuracy, but depending on how out of square the receiver is, possibly, the better the improvement could be.

Also came across these 2

Noveske barrels are good barrels.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    What are you building? Pistol or rifle?

I am not well versed on Roscoe barrels. I've never used them, so I couldn't tell you their worth. You'd have to read up on them. I'm sure someone here has used them. Maybe they will chime in.

I true all my receiver extensions. Doing so always improves accuracy, but depending on how out of square the receiver is, possibly, the better the improvement could be.

Noveske barrels are good barrels.

Building a pistol 5.56 right now. Later I’ll build a 300 pistol as well. I’m going with an aero p upper to match my lower.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Don't buy from optics planet. Go to Primary Arms, Joe Bob Outfitters, Midway USA, and Brownells.

Optics Planet is crap for shipping and real time inventory.
    I have not really had a problem with OP LATELY. A few years ago - yes and I think they are owned by Amazon. So yeah go with with DA's list. Those other vendors are better 2A proponents and you will get your order a little faster. I especially like Joe Bob. He's actually an Industry Partner on MDS.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't buy from optics planet. Go to Primary Arms, Joe Bob Outfitters, Midway USA, and Brownells.

Optics Planet is crap for shipping and real time inventory.
    Meh. I've had it go both ways with them. I ordered a scope that was out of inventory so I knew I'd have a wait(giving me time to save up for it), well it came 2 weeks later.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Well, if you're spending under $200 for a barrel, you probably aren't doing yourself much good(but you still are), but if you are spending upwards of $350-$450 on a barrel, it's foolish not to.
    I mean I feel like the manufacturers should make things that are already trued. If you're spending good money on parts why should you have to make them right after the fact? It's good to make them as true as possible but I feel like they should be right from the get go.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I mean I feel like the manufacturers should make things that are already trued. If you're spending good money on parts why should you have to make them right after the fact? It's good to make them as true as possible but I feel like they should be right from the get go.
    Yeah, but we know that, with all the manufacturers out there, QC can vary. The only uppers that I have 'turned' and found to be just about square from the get-go were Colt uppers. They cost a little more, put if it's quality out of the box you seek, you will need to pay for it. That, or go with a thermal fit receiver like a BCM.

Here is a discussion on thermal fit/tight fit uppers here:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Yeah, but we know that, with all the manufacturers out there, QC can vary. The only uppers that I have 'turned' and found to be just about square from the get-go were Colt uppers. They cost a little more, put if it's quality out of the box you seek, you will need to pay for it. That, or go with a thermal fit receiver like a BCM.

Here is a discussion on thermal fit/tight fit uppers here:

Cool, I'll have to check that out. I've built 5 uppers and haven't had any issues but I may have been lucky.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I have not really had a problem with OP LATELY. A few years ago - yes and I think they are owned by Amazon. So yeah go with with DA's list. Those other vendors are better 2A proponents and you will get your order a little faster. I especially like Joe Bob. He's actually an Industry Partner on MDS.

Yea I didn’t have any issues when I ordered my charg hndl and a few other parts form op. Delivery was about a week or so and it shipped I think within 2 days. That was before the holidays tho.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    So funny thing, the website that I questioned the most ar15discount got the parts I ordered to me faster than everyone else using usps and everything was ordered the same time.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I like BCM for complete uppers or even barrels:

Barrels? Almost none of theirs are MD-compliant, including any of their carbine barrels. I get annoyed at them that they call their M4A1 SOCOM and MK12 barrels "Medium" barrels, even though pretty much every other company that makes those same barrel types is willing to either mark or at least advertise them as "Heavy."

I do like BCM (the most modern of my ARs came from them, albeit with the barrel swapped before I moved to MD from VA), but I dunno that I'd recommend their uppers or barrels to anyone in MD.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Barrels? Almost none of theirs are MD-compliant, including any of their carbine barrels. I get annoyed at them that they call their M4A1 SOCOM and MK12 barrels "Medium" barrels, even though pretty much every other company that makes those same barrel types is willing to either mark or at least advertise them as "Heavy."

I do like BCM (the most modern of my ARs came from them, albeit with the barrel swapped before I moved to MD from VA), but I dunno that I'd recommend their uppers or barrels to anyone in MD.
    Oh - good point. Mine are all SBR's. [EDIT] and one pre-ban.

Would work for a braced pistol as well.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Just got released from prison
    c911b9e475ea38f31e4b7248cde64a93.jpg

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Oh - good point. Mine are all SBR's. [EDIT] and one pre-ban.

Would work for a braced pistol as well.

Ah, got it. Of course, I have no idea how many people are running braced pistols right now, injunction or not...

I don't think I'm going to buy another BCM anything until they show a willingness to be more considerate of MD gun owners. They could easily sell their SOCOM and MK12 barrels (and URGs) to us if they simply updated their web site, but they won't.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Ah, got it. Of course, I have no idea how many people are running braced pistols right now, injunction or not...

I don't think I'm going to buy another BCM anything until they show a willingness to be more considerate of MD gun owners. They could easily sell their SOCOM and MK12 barrels (and URGs) to us if they simply updated their web site, but they won't.

I might not buy their barrels but I do like their gunfighter pistol grips and vertical grips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom