• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I shoot literally 1000s of corrosive rounds out of my mosins every year. I always clean it within a week and never have any sign of corrosion in that time. I always finish up cleaning with a wad soaked in clp just to leave a coat of oil in the bore.
    Sidebar: how badly does your accuracy suffer when your Mosin gets hot?

Agostino

Apr 29, 2020
    A friend who was an Air Force armorer told me to spray Windex down the barrel when I finish shooting. Clean the gun later. FYI, WW2 .45 ACP is corrosive.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Its really not that big a deal to clean. Do it when you get home from the range. Windex works great, soapy (dishwashing soap) in hot water also works, and I just use Black Powder Gel Cleaner in the glass jar, dip the bore brush in it and boom everything in the barrel is neutralized and then use your regular routine. Hope this helps.

archangel2003

May 28, 2017
    I just just clean the Mosin like a muzzleloading rifle.
    I get a small container of hot water, place the Muzzle down intp it, (instead of the nipple end) then wrap a patch around the jag, push it down the bore to the bottom, then as you pull it up it sucks the hot water up. The amount of actual salt, even after a full day of shooting is quite small and is dissolved in seconds with the hot water. I then clean as normal. When shooting in the winter with 0% humidity, I have waited to clean a full week and had zero corrosion.
    In my AK that came from a countrythat only used corrosive ammo, the gas port was never cleaned before I got it and when tearing it apart, it had a green buildup of it, and was not hard to clean at all.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    After firing corrosive ammo, my guns are cleaned when I get home most of the time. If not, it will be the next morning. I use Hoppe's or CLP and clean as I would any other gun. I have not seen any indications of corrosion in them.

For me it’s the shoulder and not the heat. I can’t shoot more than 50 rounds in a Nagant without a black and blue shoulder.
    I picked up a Caldwell "PAST" recoil pad for use while shooting my M-44 and it has saved my shoulder. No marks after 50 rounds on the last trip. Looks goofy, but it works!

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Hoppes No9 & Thorough also worked for me for years.
    Unfortunately double pneumonia ended my lungs tolerance for the delightful after shave smell!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You would be surprised what the bore looks like with a bore scope after not cleaning properly after using corrosive ammo. Some people don't realize that shiny "to the naked eye" bore and chamber does not mean pitting hasn't set in.

1) Use something with water to flush out the salts. The hotter the water, the faster it evaporates.
    2) Clean the bore with bore solvents.
    3) Repeat cleaning with water and blow out with compressor.
    4) Add oil and protectant.
    5) Put away.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Ballistol first followed by my regular cleaning procedure, solvents & oil. Never had a problem and I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo.

Attachments

• 71LAErZo6CL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
      71LAErZo6CL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
      120.6 KB · Views: 36

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Sweet mother of God.

I shot several clips through the M44 today. New Privi P. and new Igman, both boxer primed, brass case. The action cycled as smooth as any Springfield. Then I shot 2 clips of steel cased, Czech silver tip (corrosive). That crap jammed up the bolt so that I had to brace the rifle on the bench to lever the bolt open.

The Czech ammo shoots well but cycles terribly. Yikes.

Pouring hot water into the barrel of my rifle just seems so counter-intuitive that my brain was screaming "What are you doing?!?!?" I flushed the water through, then a couple of swabs of Hoppe's 9 solvent, then punched it out with a brush a couple of times, then swabbed until dry and clean. Then, a swab with oil followed by a dry swab.

Hoppe's claims that their #9 solvent has ammonia in it which will neutralize the salts but I did both.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've found that proper & prompt cleaning with the new "water-based" solvents & "ammonia Free" cleansers you can leave in the barrel overnight work perfectly fine.
    My preference is either the M-Pro7 bore cleaner interleaved with their copper remover. I usually run 5 wet & 5 dry patches immediately. Then bore brush with the copper remover & leave over night. Then 5 wet & 5 dry patches with the bore cleaner & finish up with a mop & CLP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom