• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I have a metric buttload of corrosive primed, Eastern Bloc ammo for my Mosin M44. A couple of the cans are not in great condition and I really don't see why I should hoard them. I'd rather hoard my modern PPU ammo and shoot the corrosive stuff during practice.

Questions:
    How quickly must I treat the barrel to prevent corrosion? Must I do it at the range or can I drive home and clean it on the bench as soon as I get home?
    Is water really the best neutralizer? Is Hoppe's solvent also effective?

Thanks.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a metric buttload of corrosive primed, Eastern Bloc ammo for my Mosin M44. A couple of the cans are not in great condition and I really don't see why I should hoard them. I'd rather hoard my modern PPU ammo and shoot the corrosive stuff during practice.

Questions:
    How quickly must I treat the barrel to prevent corrosion? Must I do it at the range or can I drive home and clean it on the bench as soon as I get home?
    Is water really the best neutralizer? Is Hoppe's solvent also effective?

Thanks.
    You need to clean it when you get home before you store it. Use water on a patch a few times to rinse out the residue, then dry patch, then run an oily brush, then wet patches with rust preventer, dry patch, Rem oil patch. It only really corrodes your barrel if you don't clean it after the range trip. My BIL shot corrosive ammo, didn't clean it and the next time he took it out the barrel was pitted pretty badly. You can shoot corrosive ammo just clean the gun well after.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You’re not neutralizing it, but removing it. The potassium chloride salts are water soluble, but not oil soluble. Cleaning with oil based solvents will certainly mechanically remove the salts stuck among the carbon fouling, but not flush it entirely.

My Mosin I got over a decade ago still has a nice shiny bore from cleaning with soap and water after each time I shoot it.

From Hatcher’s Notebook regarding a 1922 Bureau of Mines study on the causes of bore corrosion.

IMG_6650.jpeg

IMG_6651.jpeg

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Don't stress over it too much, just clean it when you get home and it'll be fine. I just run some warm water down the barrel followed by some dry patches then oiled patches, and wipe down the bolt/receiver area. Never had a problem

Its when you let it sit for a while that it will cause problems

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Great information here. I too, had a prejudice against water but you guys have swayed me.
    What's the best way to get water into the barrel? I feel like a wet swab may not be enough.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I always used a few patches of windex down the barrel and scrubbed the bolt face with Windex before using Hoppes. I have quite a few C&R firearms that have seen almost exclusively corrosive ammo and I’ve yet to have a problem.

Windex first, then dry, then oil.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Great information here. I too, had a prejudice against water but you guys have swayed me.
    What's the best way to get water into the barrel? I feel like a wet swab may not be enough.

A small tin funnel soldered to a copper tube to a cut off cartridge case.
    Solder the other end of the tube to the case ID.
    Bend it in a S shape so you don’t have to pour the water over the rifle.
    Be sure to swap the chamber and not just the bore because of the emergent gas that gets back around the case before it fully expands.
    Theirs nothing wrong with corrosive ammo if you manage it’s use effectively and wisely.
    Another good way to clean a rifle from salts is to place the muzzle down on a hardwood block to keep the rod from exiting the muzzle.
    Even with clean bore primers. The rod stays straight in the bore.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    After I brush 10-20 times and use an oil based solvent to clean out as much carbon as I can, I put the rifle horizontal, or muzzle sloping downwards slightly, on a table and swab from the muzzle with dish soap and water on a patch. I repeat with water until it is no longer soapy.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've used ammonia to good effect (that's why 6-packs use of Windex works). The British used hot water, allows it to evaporate quickly and does dislodge the salts effective. Made easier when you routinely boil water for tea. They used an S shaped funnel for Lee Enfields (I have one, very handy).
    1698327550079.jpeg

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I always used a few patches of windex down the barrel and scrubbed the bolt face with Windex before using Hoppes. I have quite a few C&R firearms that have seen almost exclusively corrosive ammo and I’ve yet to have a problem.

Windex first, then dry, then oil.
    ^This

I stress more over possible pitting on the face of the bolt, from the corrosive primers, than the bore.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Bolt-face & firing pin tip plus F/P channel, another reason I like the L-E with it's detachable bolt head.
    I've never found the Windex necessary, just HOT water, then a dry patch or three & one pass with an oily patch then clean normally back at home.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Pour it down the barrel from a small water bottle.

The MDS tradition is to throw your guns into the bay. :D

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Those automotive offset, or flexible, filter funnels with a length of 1/2" OD flex hose (or whatever dia fits your needs) all glued with RTV Siloicone & taped to a cartridge with the head cut off work excellently!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've been shooting corrosive ammo for almost 40 years now with no problems at all. The most complicated thing I've done (and this is VERY RARE) is to run the first patch or two through a warm barrel at the range with a water ammonia solution that I keep in an old Chicom plastic oil bottle. The rest is a normal cleaning at home using Hoppe's No. 9. In fact, it's almost always JUST a cleaning at home with Hoppe's No. 9. The trick is to be THOROUGH when you clean. It's amazing how much some folks will turn a simple cleaning into a space shuttle launch.

Last edited:

Sirex