• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Hello all, looking for info or to be pointed in a direction to find same.

Co-worker who is a boater asked about gun laws and how they pertained to firearms on a boat. Cruising the Chesapeake bay there are several states and many counties involved so which laws rule? State and counties or Maritime laws? Any help is appreciated. Thx.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    State laws on possession and transport would apply. FOPA should apply if only passing through, but not sure how an overnight stay would work.

And a holdover from the Oyster Wars:

NATURAL RESOURCES
    TITLE 4. FISH AND FISHERIES
    SUBTITLE 10. OYSTERS AND CLAMS
    PART II. PROVISIONS RELATING TO OYSTERS

Md. NATURAL RESOURCES Code Ann. § 4-1013 (2014)

(g) Firearms on dredge boats. -- Subject to the laws relating to firearms, the captain, master or any person on board or having control of any dredge boat, may not have or permit to be kept on the dredge boat more than two shotguns not larger than a number ten gauge and using shot not larger than number one.

Only applicable if you are on a dredge boat. I believe the reasoning behind it was an attempt to make sure the Oyster Police were not outgunned by the oystermen. Oyster police (predecessor to NRP) used to have cannon on the patrol boats.

Last edited:

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Tag for interest.....AFAIK long guns are ok. I would not risk a hand gun. I don't want to be the test case either.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    State laws on possession and transport would apply. FOPA should apply if only passing through, but not sure how an overnight stay would work.

And a holdover from the Oyster Wars:

NATURAL RESOURCES
    TITLE 4. FISH AND FISHERIES
    SUBTITLE 10. OYSTERS AND CLAMS
    PART II. PROVISIONS RELATING TO OYSTERS

Md. NATURAL RESOURCES Code Ann. § 4-1013 (2014)

(g) Firearms on dredge boats. -- Subject to the laws relating to firearms, the captain, master or any person on board or having control of any dredge boat, may not have or permit to be kept on the dredge boat more than two shotguns not larger than a number ten gauge and using shot not larger than number one.

Only applicable if you are on a dredge boat. I believe the reasoning behind it was an attempt to make sure the Oyster Police were not outgunned by the oystermen. Oyster police (predecessor to NRP) used to have cannon on the patrol boats.

Joe Biden is all set then :rolleyes:

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Tag for interest.....AFAIK long guns are ok. I would not risk a hand gun. I don't want to be the test case either.

Yeah it depends what you mean by firearm. Obviously you can hunt ducks on a boat with a a shotgun. Handguns on a boat are like handguns in a car. It wouldn't be much of a test case if they had cause to get a search warrant and find a pistol on board.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14761

If you aren't blasting away at other boaters, sea gulls, day markers or light houses, they would have little reason to search. OTOH it's been a while since pirates roamed the Chesapeake.

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    I read the law to say that the clause that includes the transportation of firearms specifically notes that a boat is not included in domiciles. So while you may take your firearm to your place of business or another residence, you may not take it to, or have it aboard your boat.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Immediately after 911, USCG was tightly controlling traffic on the Potomac River in the DC area. I got pulled over by a USCG RHIB for a routine check. A young PO in the bow asked me if I had any weapons aboard and I answered in the affirmative. He was speechless because no one had ever answered yes to him. The older Chief, in the rear, was laughing because he knew me from when I had been assigned to the Harbor Branch.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Agree that a long gun should be no problem (unloaded and locked just to CYA unless you are actively hunting). Handguns as far as I have read are a no-no (I would also not risk a chamber insert for a flare gun... asking for trouble in my opinion).

Firearms are still listed as an acceptable signaling device by USCG.

Important to remember that unlike the State Police or DNR, the USCG can search your boat without probable cause or consent. If you are on the water, they have the right to board and go through everything.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Depends on your boat, I had the same question when we purchased our express cruiser.

I was told that due to the type of boat I have, it is considered a residence when docked or anchored, but when underway I needed to follow transportation laws.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Firearms possum on a boat?

display.jpg

:D

chucks

Sep 30, 2010
    My understanding of the law is that if the boat has a head, stove, etc. it is considered a residence when docked or anchored and you can therefore have a gun loaded for protection. However, while underway the gun must be cased and unloaded.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You cannot carry on a boat.
    You should not carry with a goat.
    Make sure you're holstered in the rain.
    Do not carry on a train.
    Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
    Not in a car! You are not free!
    Make sure to lock them in a box.
    Make sure omega your barrel blocks.