Maybe carry in your house.
    Just please be quiet like mouse.
    We do not like them here or there.
    We do not like them ANYWHERE!

Dr. Seuss, is that you?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Immediately after 911, USCG was tightly controlling traffic on the Potomac River in the DC area. I got pulled over by a USCG RHIB for a routine check. A young PO in the bow asked me if I had any weapons aboard and I answered in the affirmative. He was speechless because no one had ever answered yes to him. The older Chief, in the rear, was laughing because he knew me from when I had been assigned to the Harbor Branch.

IANAL.

Coast Guard is federal. I assume on the navigable waterways within MD, MD state law would apply out to a defined point off the coast? yes?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I put this question to former Maryland State Police Licensing Division Commander Jack McCauley while we were at the Statehouse for gun bill testimony.

It is his contention that a boat is a vehicle and that handgun transport rule apply. Traveling with an unloaded long gun would be permissible, but not with a handgun unless you were traveling to hunting grounds by boat or cruising to a property where you could legally fire a handgun for practice.

It is my understanding that the folks traveling on dry land in Winebagos and other RVs can claim that the RV is their domicile, or home, when they are parked overnight and may possess a loaded handgun. During the day, while underway, the RV reverts to a vehicle and handgun transport rules apply.

This is not legal advice, only my understanding of the framework. Do your own research.

Last edited:

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    You cannot carry on a boat.
    You should not carry with a goat.
    Make sure you're holstered in the rain.
    Do not carry on a train.
    Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
    Not in a car! You are not free!
    Make sure to lock them in a box.
    Make sure omega your barrel blocks.

Maybe carry in your house.
    Just please be quiet like mouse.
    We do not like them here or there.
    We do not like them ANYWHERE!

now that's impressive :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IANAL.

Coast Guard is federal. I assume on the navigable waterways within MD, MD state law would apply out to a defined point off the coast? yes?

CG has jurisdiction on ANY navigable water, OUT to the defined national limit.

And how they define navigable is interesting, as waters that feed navigable waters, may be included.

Years ago, there was a big tire fire in WV, the CG got involved as the melted rubber was running into a stream that eventually connected to water that boats used.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What if you are trapping raccoons from a boat, where the coon sets are on the bank and you use a small boat or canoe to access the set spots? Does MD want you to try clubbing them to death from the boat? Or does DNR reg/ MD hunting/trapping reg allow for carrying on the boat? Most MD boating accidents involving loss of firearms occur when trapping, right? LOL. I might have lost 20 guns when trapping raccoons along Deer Creek using a kayak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom