• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Instruction shouldn't be given in groups so large that everyone doesn't know who all the instructors are. For absolute beginners any live gun handling should be done 1-1 or maybe 1-2 per instructor. In a classroom setting, 10-15 is about the most I feel most people, myself included can reasonably teach and be able to get sufficient feedback from the students.

Berwyn has recently begun putting an additional tab on members cards for those that meet the 'instructor' qualification; they also have tabs for those that certified to draw from a holster and shoot class 3, and maybe a couple others. I feel this is very useful for members and guests to immediately be able to recognize certain members, in case there was any question about their actions. Next years renewal, I plan to ask to have a couple more tabs added to my badge.

In the Army, we most often just had range cadre wear white engineer tape around their headgear. This was important because there were often so many people going through the qualification, everyone needed to know immediately who they were. It helped make things orderly.

Likewise when I attended the Maryland Firearms Instructor Course, there were several assistant instructors/safety's wearing reflective (what we call 'road guard') vests. It was a large group and was helpful. I like the idea of having the training team be dressed somewhat professionally and uniform is always a nice touch.

The few very high speed courses I've attended, the groups were always small; 10-15 students, with typically one lead instructor and two or three assistant instructors. Usually everyone dressed the same; everyone knew who everyone else was, some wore the same hat, some had a similar outfit. Of all the things that need to happen, dressing sharp is one of the least important issues.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I agree 100 percent the student to teacher ratio should be as low as possible with new shooters, of course some course do have more shooters or qualifying. The gentleman I saw with the vest was qualifying guards one at a time, but was doing so on a public range in use. I have seen a person qualifying 4 at a time at this range in the past.

Safety is king, I'll wear hot pink boxers on my head if it keeps everyone safe on the range. I was just wondering what the general thoughts where from you experienced instructors.

TD

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I agree 100 percent the student to teacher ratio should be as low as possible with new shooters, of course some course do have more shooters or qualifying. The gentleman I saw with the vest was qualifying guards one at a time, but was doing so on a public range in use. I have seen a person qualifying 4 at a time at this range in the past.

Safety is king, I'll wear hot pink boxers on my head if it keeps everyone safe on the range. I was just wondering what the general thoughts where from you experienced instructors.

TD

Now were talking... that's how some roll in AFG:

20090521-Lens-Boxers-400px.jpg

By the way, don't google images for 'hot pink boxers' with your safe-search off... LOL

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    ...........Red NRA Instructor t-shirts on range days.

From my LE days growing up in the business, we did the "red shirts for instructors" way of doing things. I have some red t-shirts now with my own company, but I usually just wear some kind of Proactive Shooters' t-shirt on the range. I do have some PS polos and NRA instructor polos that I wear in the colder months, but I'm not married to them.

A vest would be nice for carrying stuff since I'm constantly forgetting where my eyes, marker, etc is....all those pockets could be handy. If I have an RSO working, I have a traffic safety vest for him.

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    We require our officers to wear their body armor and duty belts/holsters when doing qualifications. I got my instructors external body armor carriers like the one shown in a previous post. This allows the instructors to carry a radio, BOK/VOK, pens, staplers, water, and other items they may need. As the instructors are on the range the entire day cycling officers through training, the external design allows then to open the armor carrier to cool off. As for being red, it allows the instructors to be instantly identifiable as we move about the range. Yes we all know each other, but if something does happen or someone needs something, we can be picked out faster.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The theory behind having Ofcs wear their armor and duty gear is to acustom them in performing shooting related movement as they would be while working, and discover and solve an issues with flexability and range of motions. They're not supposed to be shooting each other, or range personel or other random bystandrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom