• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    How about an unloaded AR15 strapped across your back; while riding a bike to the range?

Been wanting to try that. Not sure if I'd get to the range unmolested though... by cop or thug.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    How about an unloaded AR15 strapped across your back; while riding a bike to the range?

Been wanting to try that. Not sure if I'd get to the range unmolested though... by cop or thug.

legal if unloaded but be assured you will attract the attention of LE.

IANAL.

Wonder if they would pull one over for that? Or just follow and observe? This is a good question to ask our resident LE on this forum. What would they do?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If you are riding anywhere in suburban Maryland, someone will 911 with a half assed, panic description and incorrect demeanor of what you're doing.

"Man with machine gun on motorcycle pointing it at people"

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I have a friend whose Step-Father has some land in Central PA where we can camp and shoot our scary black rifles. His Step-Father also rides a Harley trike. Last summer I rode up there with an AR-15 and hand gun, he was kind enough to keep my bike in his garage. I broke the AR down, mainly so it would fit in the tour pack. Because I was crossing state lines I had the ammo in 1 saddle bag, magazines in the other and weapons in the tour pack, all 3 locked. Probably overkill, but wanted to be absolutely sure.

Had I been stopped (I wasn't) I was prepared to do some explaining. My insurance and registration is in the tour pack, so would have needed to be real clear before opening it.

I did think about strapping the unloaded AR across my back, but figured the trip would be a lot longer with the multiple extra stops.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have a friend whose Step-Father has some land in Central PA where we can camp and shoot our scary black rifles. His Step-Father also rides a Harley trike. Last summer I rode up there with an AR-15 and hand gun, he was kind enough to keep my bike in his garage. I broke the AR down, mainly so it would fit in the tour pack. Because I was crossing state lines I had the ammo in 1 saddle bag, magazines in the other and weapons in the tour pack, all 3 locked. Probably overkill, but wanted to be absolutely sure.

Had I been stopped (I wasn't) I was prepared to do some explaining. My insurance and registration is in the tour pack, so would have needed to be real clear before opening it.

I did think about strapping the unloaded AR across my back, but figured the trip would be a lot longer with the multiple extra stops.

I thought that the Maryland Firearm Safety Act (which is B.S. in my book btw) of 2013 prohibited one from re-introducing a AR back into Maryland?

mmacro

Jul 19, 2016
    Calvert County
    There are some pretty slick "drag bags" out there designed for snipers that have backpack style straps on them - some that carry a AR-15 broken down so the OAL is really reduced... Seems like a easy way to transport a rifle using two wheels and the broken down nature is just one more argument for it being transported "safely" in IAW legal intent of the laws making a firearm not readily usable in a vehicle.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I thought that the Maryland Firearm Safety Act (which is B.S. in my book btw) of 2013 prohibited one from re-introducing a AR back into Maryland?
    Mine's an HBAR that I bought from 1 of our fine vendors here after the new law went into effect.

Brings up an interesting question though - If you legally own a weapon that's now banned is it OK to take it out of state then bring it back? Seems like it should be, but we're dealing with some bizarre legislation here.

Edit - Went back and read swinokur's post again and that clears it up. Thanks!

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County
    if you owned the firearm before 10-1-13, you may take it out of state and bring it back. legal

To be fully correct... If you "purchased" the firearm in MD before 10-1-13, even if you took possession after due to the waiting period, it is MD legal and may be kept and transported anywhere else it is legal and back

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    If you are riding anywhere in suburban Maryland, someone will 911 with a half assed, panic description and incorrect demeanor of what you're doing.

"Man with machine gun on motorcycle pointing it at people"

There was a guy in VA open carrying on a motorcycle. He stopped at a 7-11. Upon leaving, some douche called 9-1-1 and said he just robbed the 7-11. The guy on the bike was stopped and detained.

The subsequent investigation revealed no robbery had occurred and the caller was arrested for filing a false police report.

Moral of the story - if you're going to make a false police report, don't be there when the cops show up.

Anti-gun people are so stupid... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom