• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I just don't understand all the hand-wringing and drama on our side over this. Here's how I see it:

1. 5CA ruled in favor of a PI, using language that strongly indicates it will find against the ATF in any final appellate decision.

2. SCOTUS has a stay on the PI in place, but it's due to procedural issues, not some deeper constitutional meaning. And that stay automatically expires the moment 5CA issues its final mandate in the case.

3. The issues being contested are statutory in nature, not constitutional; i.e. Did ATF violate the Administrative Procedures Act in promulgating the frame and receiver regs?

4. It wouldn't be surprising for SCOTUS to not grant cert, because the case is about statutory, not constitutional questions.

5. And if they didn't ultimately grant cert to a FED appeal of a 5CA decision that's in our favor, it's a win for us, especially if the 5CA decision is national in scope, which it appears to be how 5CA is leaning.

Lots of folks are getting wrapped around the axle over PI and legal procedural issues. All that counts in the end is what final decision stands. And it looks like that final decision in this case will be against regulatory overreach and in our favor.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just don't understand all the hand-wringing and drama on our side over this. Here's how I see it:

1. 5CA ruled in favor of a PI, using language that strongly indicates it will find against the ATF in any final appellate decision.

2. SCOTUS has a stay on the PI in place, but it's due to procedural issues, not some deeper constitutional meaning. And that stay automatically expires the moment 5CA issues its final mandate in the case.

3. The issues being contested are statutory in nature, not constitutional; i.e. Did ATF violate the Administrative Procedures Act in promulgating the frame and receiver regs?

4. It wouldn't be surprising for SCOTUS to not grant cert, because the case is about statutory, not constitutional questions.

5. And if they didn't ultimately grant cert to a FED appeal of a 5CA decision that's in our favor, it's a win for us, especially if the 5CA decision is national in scope, which it appears to be how 5CA is leaning.

Lots of folks are getting wrapped around the axle over PI and legal procedural issues. All that counts in the end is what final decision stands. And it looks like that final decision in this case will be against regulatory overreach and in our favor.
    Thank you for chiming in.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    My reading comprehension is not very good. I read that last line as those four justices would deny the stay (as in leave the injunction on the ATF rule in place) but the other five wanted to grant it.
    Those four justices agree with the initial judgement. If the judgement remains the same after a court of appeals decision, do not look for the 4 justices to change their minds.

This is temporary setback where the SCOTUS is trying to keep cases off their Shadow Docket (deciding a case before the arguments mature) and let the appeals process run its course.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    My reading comprehension is not very good. I read that last line as those four justices would deny the stay (as in leave the injunction on the ATF rule in place) but the other five wanted to grant it.
    4 would have denied cert on the PI, 5 would have granted cert on the PI. That doesn't necessarily indicate how those 5 would ultimately decide on the PI.

Those 4 have shown their hand that the PI should not be stayed which, to me, indicates how they think about the merits also.

We shall see.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I read it as... "We are watching, seriously watching. "

The "timeliness" comments are important as well.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I read it as... "We are watching, seriously watching. "

The "timeliness" comments are important as well.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Too bad SCOTUS doesn't force the hand of 4CA delay in MD AWB case... From the other thread, sounds like the decision is being held hostage by one anti-2A emotional judge.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Does this mean, u need a FFL to purchase parts?

The original biden ATF rule in my opinion was worded very ambiguously. The way I understood it was that you had to go through a FFL if you purchased a "Kit" to make a firearm. The definition of Kit was not well stated, but appeared to be an incomplete lower with a jig or other mechanism to convert it. Still now sure though, and even the mfg. were unsure. That was probably intentional on the part of ATF so they could trap folks.

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    What did they lose :)? What is frame or receiver rule? Ty
    ATF's redefinition of "frames and receivers" to kill off 80% sales by calling something that could be made into a receiver, a receiver, along with kits that include all the parts needed to assemble a firearm using an 80% frame or receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom