74 KB · Views: 333
    • fed 22 002.jpg
      fed 22 002.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 318

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Good, expensive, and German. Guessing the idea was to spread the primer compound more evenly for consistent ignition, which is pretty much the difference between crap, good and great 22 ammo, although not sure how much better it is than other good target ammo..

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As stated, that is top end ammo. The priming mixture and setting in the case has a major influence on 22 rimfire accuracy. Previous poster mentioned the dimple in the case head was to ensure proper distribution and placements of the priming compound, which is correct.

That is highly refined ammo, and is typically an advantage in tight chambered, accuracy enhanced pistols. I still have 5 1/2 boxes of that stuff left from my 2007 endeavor in the Master's tournament. It was an advantage in my Mk II Ruger, but only marginally over the Federal Target separated into lots using a case thickness gauge.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    separated into lots using a case thickness gauge.

I used to subscribe to PRECISION SHOOTING, a now defunct mag. They either had a column on Benchrest 22 or frequent articles.

I remember the authors were frustrated at having spent as much as the center fire benchrest guys on rifles, barrels and triggers and yet they were not being able to get the accuracy/consistency they wanted because the variability of quality target 22 ammo. Measuring the thickness of the rim was one of the tricks they used to get better results.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Did you clean and re-foul betwen ammos? Since .22s use different lubes, if you shoot a 10 shot group with your normal ammo, then with different ammo, the second ammo will NOT perform to its max.

The serious guys shoot 50 - 100 rounds of the new stuff before shooting for groups. Or clean the barrel and shoot 20 rounds to "season" the barrel with the new lube, then shoot for group.

rob b

c@r collecting
    Did you clean and re-foul betwen ammos? Since .22s use different lubes, if you shoot a 10 shot group with your normal ammo, then with different ammo, the second ammo will NOT perform to its max.

The serious guys shoot 50 - 100 rounds of the new stuff before shooting for groups. Or clean the barrel and shoot 20 rounds to "season" the barrel with the new lube, then shoot for group.

I bore snaked it a few times it is my squirrel gun so as long as I can make head shots out to 50 yards I will be more then happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom