Favorite Slugs for Rifled Barrel Shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The granddaddy of then all , BRI ( presently loaded by W-W ). The way I look at it , .50 cal is already a big hole, and will duplicate a .50 cal ML conical terminally. Thereby accuraccy is the decisive variable. BRI's will cloverleaf at 50yd from my Marlin, so I'm set.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Rem 870 with rifled choke tube, does just fine with Remington Sluggers. I tried a couple different sabots and it was painful and expensive to shoot from a bench, with not much, if any, difference in accuracy.
    The farm I used to hunt at gave me shots at less than 50 yards or across two fields at 600 yards. Not much in between.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    SSTs are the standard, but I have an affinity for brenneke black magics. I like the 3 inch magnum KO sabots as well.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Accutips for savage 220. Federal gold also group well for me also. Mine did not fair well at 100 with sst.

Reaper812

Wayne
    Sep 14, 2012
    Howard county
    Lightfields or SST can't go wrong, just stick with what you sight your gun in with.
    The lightfields shot 5" high at 100 yards compared to the SST's in my gun

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpg
      IMG_3333.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 199
    • IMG_3336.jpg
      IMG_3336.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 194

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    What do you all prefer to use for deer hunting?

I recently picked up a Mossberg 500 kit that came with both a smooth and rifled/scoped barrel. I've been practicing with some different slugs to see what works best, but damn those things are expensive so my experimentation hasn't been all that extensive. Also, the only range I have access to on a regular basis is the NRA range in Fairfax, which is 50 yards long.

So far I have tried:

Hornady SST 300 gr FT Sabot Slug--these seem to work better than anything else I've tried. I put three shots in a row on bullseyes last night using these

If the Hornadys shot good for you, stick with them. I've shot a bunch of deer with SST's in 20ga and never had an issue.

You can use up a lot of money, time and shoulder trying to find "perfect" when you may have already found what will work.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I shoot the 3" Winchester sabot XP3, the extra FPS helps with accuracy. I hated sighting it in but now it'll kill anything within 100 yds. Im shooting an 870 special purpose with the rifled 26" barrel and a 2-7X leupold shotgun scope. I've never missed a deer with it, I've shot one 3 times but they all hit it. I never really liked the front shoulders anyway...

The last deer I shot the bullet went right through. I guess over penrtration could be an issue. I hit the heart so he didn't go far. Time will tell.

shrpshtrjoe

Aug 10, 2009
    Cecil Co
    I recently started to reload sabot's . All the components can be gotten here http://slugsrus.com/store/handload.html . slugs r us recommends a few different powders . I didn't care for the blue dot . They shot fair groups but had a lot of un burnt powder. So I got some IMR 4756 but I haven't had a chance to try them. I got this stuff last year and just haven't found the time to test them. I looked into reloading to combat the cost of sabot's you can do these for about a buck a shot and that's buying new primed hull's. For now my rem 1100 is sighted in with federal fusions they shoot well enough and are less expensive then others. Hope this helps..

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    The slug doesn't spin in a rifle bore, actually it will cut into the slug, resulting in issues with accuracty.

As my granddaddy would say: son the rifled barrel is for sabots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom