Favorite Slugs for Rifled Barrel Shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    The only rifled barrel I have used was a Mossberg bolt action shotgun (I think it was a 685 or 695 or something like that). It liked the Hornady SST slugs. However, I really like the Brenneke Black Magic Slugs, although they are expensive AND out of stock. They can be used in a smooth or rifled barrel, but are 3 or 3 1/2 inch only.

durkspunk2112

Aug 23, 2014
    Frederick County, Md.
    I also have a Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel. Hornady SST's. I took a nice buck last year, 140 yards in an open field. Watched him run in a small circle and drop.

My 15 year old uses Hornady SST Lites (reduced recoil) in his 870 slug gun. I have to admit, they're nice to shoot! Decent groups at 100 yards.

Ironically, the Hornady's seem to be on the lower end of the price range. I've caught both of them on sale for $11/box +/-.

The slug doesn't spin in a rifle bore, actually it will cut into the slug, resulting in issues with accuracty.

As my granddaddy would say: son the rifled barrel is for sabots.

Your grand daddy should have known that rifled barrels were available before the sabot slug was. Those guys with the original Hastings Paradox barrels used rifled slugs. They spin when shot from a rifled barrel or a rifled choke.

These days I use Lightfield 3 inch 20 gauge sabots. I used Lightfields and BRI when I shot a 12 gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom