• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    After reading all the bad reviews about MSAR I was pleasantly surprised when I went there last Sat. No line, had rifle lane all to myself. Well ventilated.

Ive been told to try Hap Baker and Cresap.

Im in SS too but further north.

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Went to MSAR today, had the rifle range to myself. Lights at 50 yds have been repaired, lane was well lit, and I got to precisely dial in my new scope in peace...

myuen021078

Jan 18, 2013
    Rockville
    Same here, there was only 1 other group shooting at the time I was there Friday afternoon, so I was able to get my rifles sighted in with minimal distractions. I would definitely go back since its $20 all you can shoot with no time limit.

J Quest

Jul 1, 2013
    i'm 02 zip and mainly go to MSAR. only during weekdays though because the last weekend i was there the wait took forever. I have been looking to try hap baker or try to join one of the local IWL's just so i can take my repr past 50 yards...... but the new MSAR facility is definitely better than their old location

myuen021078

Jan 18, 2013
    Rockville
    You should check out Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore(AGC), I just joined the Baltimore Rifle Club there and got my range badge today, it was my 1st time shooting at an outdoor range, and I love it so much more than indoor ranges especially when the weather was as nice as it was today. It was about a 45 minute drive from Rockville, so it should be a little closer for the Silver Spring folks, its a little north west of Ellicott City. I believe it is easier to become a member there than any of the IWL's.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    You should check out Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore(AGC), I just joined the Baltimore Rifle Club there and got my range badge today, it was my 1st time shooting at an outdoor range, and I love it so much more than indoor ranges especially when the weather was as nice as it was today. It was about a 45 minute drive from Rockville, so it should be a little closer for the Silver Spring folks, its a little north west of Ellicott City. I believe it is easier to become a member there than any of the IWL's.

So which gun club at AGC makes the most sense (geographically) for those in MoCo? Lookin at the list, maybe Greenbelt?

Yo RugerFan - got my MG pass online. Sup with a road trip? --JB

myuen021078

Jan 18, 2013
    Rockville
    It doesn't really matter which club you join, but some are more active than others, some offer junior programs and concentrate n particular interests more. I joined Baltimore Rile since it s the cheapeast way to shoot at AGC and requires little to no involvement.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    It doesn't really matter which club you join, but some are more active than others, some offer junior programs and concentrate n particular interests more. I joined Baltimore Rile since it s the cheapeast way to shoot at AGC and requires little to no involvement.

Good to know - thanks, I'll look into them!

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    I'm in SS inside the beltway and go to MSAR or Cresap. Cresap is a drive but there is no membership or commitments/hassles. I've always found it a well run range. The only problem is you either have to get there early and wait for them to open or wait in line for your turn at a lane.

Kondor

May 23, 2011
    Silver Spring
    I'm in 20910 and I've gone to just about every 'no-membership required' range in a 100+ radius.

Cresap is alright for a quick Sunday of shooting, good to sight in a rifle. Only can shoot rifle from bench. No rapid fire, etc.

The new MSAR facility is really nice, the ability to actually breathe is a plus.

NRA range is a great indoor facility, but I can't shoot my 5.45 AK there, not that I expect any indoor ranges to allow that.

Hap Baker is very similar to Cresap - but less crowded. Last time I was there the RSO couldn't stop oozing over my K-43. Good people, again, a place to sight in a rifle. Like Cresap, you can only shoot rifles from the bench.

Lately, I've been making the drives out to my two favorite ranges, 340 Defense (in WV) and Delmarva Sports & Clays in the Eastern Shore. Both allow way more flexibility in what you can shoot, how you can shoot, etc. If I have most of the day to go shooting, I'll go to one of these two.

Nothing against the other places, I've still been to all of them within the past year.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The web site says up to 460 Weatherby Magnum. Where did you get your info from?

From the NRA Web site:

The NRA Range is one of the few 50-yard indoor ranges available to the public. The shooting booths are wheelchair-accessible and provide ample room for position pistol and rifle shooting, as well as shotgun shooting. The automatic target retrieval system will place targets at any distance in one-foot increments from 7 to 150 feet. The unique backstop and sound baffling systems allow you to shoot pistol calibers up to .500 S&W and rifle calibers up to and including .460 Weatherby Magnum!

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I live in the Silver Spring area. I love MSAR. Say what you will about the old facility, I didn't have a problem with it. Regardless the new facility is great. Friendly staff, plenty of lanes, and now they have both rifle and pistol lanes. It's 30 mins from SS.

If I feel like going to an outdoor range and shooting rifles I go to Cresap in Frederick. You can't beat the price. It gets packed so you may have to wait awhile unless you get there first thing. About an hour from SS. Not close, but it beats having to join a gun club with dues if you aren't able to go on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom