• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Hi all-

So I'm pretty new to MDShooters and I live in Silver Spring...

Where do people who live near me generally like to go to shoot? I used to go to On Target but became a fan of the new MSAR because of the 50 yd rifle range (I shoot rifles and pistols, no shotgun yet).

However, I'd love to have access to a 100 yd. + outdoor range. I've been to IWLA in Damascus a few times with some member/friends and am thinking of joining, and I really enjoy shooting there, but when push comes to shove it's about 40 minutes away. I've never been to Berwyn, which is somewhat closer, and I'm curious about what that place is like.

Before you steer me to the range stickies; yes, I've read those, I'm just looking for fresh opinions from where others that live somewhat near me like to go...

Thanks!
    RF

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm in Silver Spring outside the Beltway and drive 30-35 minuets to AGC. Outdoors. No wait. Worth the long drive to me.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I'm in the 20910 as well, and typically shoot at On Target. Far? Well yeah, but equidistant to pretty much everything else, no? Is the new MSAR close? Haven't been in ages - since the old ghetto range there. Now that I have a an AR and a Mosin to break in, I may start going there. Just wish they had memberships, as I hate to wait. Lemme know the next time you go. --JB

JoshingYu

Jan 5, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Sometimes I go to myrtle grove, MSAR or down in Southern Maryland, if you know a member there is Sanner's Lake. They have a 100 yd rifle range.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I heard you need a permit for Myrtle Grove - is that a hunting safety course permit, or something specific to that range? Thanks in advance! After todays weather, outdoor rifle shooting is lookin good!

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I heard you need a permit for Myrtle Grove - is that a hunting safety course permit, or something specific to that range? Thanks in advance! After todays weather, outdoor rifle shooting is lookin good!

You don't need a safety course to shoot at MG--although sometimes I wish you did, based on a few less-than-safe behaviors I've seen there--just a $5 day pass which you buy there or an annual pass which you can buy online. It's not a bad place to shoot, but there can be queue during popular times.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    NRA Range in Fairfax. 25 minutes from Bethesda. Maybe 10-12 minutes more for you. Very well run and equipped.

NRA RANGE LINK
    The problem with the VA ranges is that it's 30 minutes if no traffic. If there's traffic, it's a hellish commute, and then you wind up waiting for a lane anyways. Same thing applies to AGC, for that matter.

IMHO, there are no really good places close by to shoot if money matters to you.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How long a commute from SS to AGC? Or On Target? Seems like there's no clear winner.

I agree NOVA traffic can be brutish. I have gone to NRA on the past 3 Fridays and traffic was heavy but got there in around 25-30 minutes. No wait at the range however.I'll tolerate that over the other choices.

Of course not many working stiffs can shoot on Friday.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I agree NOVA traffic can be brutish. I have gone to NRA on the past 3 Fridays and traffic was heavy but got there in around 25-30 minutes. No wait at the range however.I'll tolerate that over the other choices.
    Look, Google puts it at 30+ minutes with no traffic. No way you did it in 25-30 with heavy traffic, at least not starting from Bethesda.

I'm guessing you're referring to the facility on Rothgeb Dr?
    Correct. Nice place, but clearly intended for the guy who goes only a few times a year and doesn't own much, if anything.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Look, Google puts it at 30+ minutes with no traffic. No way you did it in 25-30 with heavy traffic, at least not starting from Bethesda.

Correct. Nice place, but clearly intended for the guy who goes only a few times a year and doesn't own much, if anything.

Ok Google is right and I'm wrong. Sheesh. Traffic was moving at speed but lots of traffic.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ok Google is right and I'm wrong. Sheesh. Traffic was moving at speed but lots of traffic.
    If it's moving at speed, that is not "heavy traffic". I did the commute from Chantilly to downtown Silver Spring every day for two years. You have not seen heavy traffic until you've spent 2.5 hours doing what should be a 45 minute drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom