• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I believe it's White Oak, just South of 29, basically next to the Mcdonalds and across the street from the old hardware store that I think is now a storage facility.. It's a shame - I went to Springbrook and in the 80s would have been around there any given day after school, probably at the bowling alley, Sears, or Radio Shack.. I'd be scared to stop there these days.
    I graduated 1989 from Springbrook. That area just isn't the same anymore. My brothers and some friends worked at the Sears in White Oak and my dad bowled there a lot in leagues.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Being a rockville-bethesda kid, White Oak seemed like the pits when I was dating a chick who lived there about 6 years ago.

No reason to head that way anymore.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Lockwood Drive has been a troubled area for years; I remember it featuring in police reports back when the Gazette newspaper was still around.

I don't know why, the area always looked pretty nice, driving by.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Has this been confirmed as a robbery? The only thing I saw was that someone walked in and blasted the worker in the chest.

Wasn't even initially a robbery. The video is sickening. I'm not going to post details yet, as its still a wide open scene, but it was absolutely senseless.
    There is ALWAYS somebody standing around on the corners there by the towers. They always look stoned or worse. I'll be waiting for the full story but I can't say I'm shocked knowing the area.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I worked at the Sears in college. I had friends that lived in those apartments. I worked patrol in that neighborhood from 2002 through 2014. I've worked investigations in that neighborhood since 2020.

The apartments on Lockwood/Stewart/April are mostly subsidized housing. The towers are mostly subsidized. The townhouses on Oakleaf... subsidized. The older Jewish community along Lockwood and Burnt Mills is middle class at best, hardly UPPER middle class. In the mid 2010s they put up some more expensive townhouses along April Ln, but there was a lot of MPDUs and still a lot more low income and criminal occupants than anything resembling upper middle class.

That square mile creates more criminal activity and calls for police service than the majority of upper Mongtomery County combined. Lots of problems there... you are lucky if you've never encountered any of it.
    Shocked!
    And we are always told that subsidized housing does not cause crime/decline of an area??

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Just saw this on the news this morning. This is just terrible. Behind this location is a beautiful neighborhood with many other subdivisions surrounding this location with families and children. The location of the murder is a major commuter route to all employment, shopping and cultural centers. I find this just absolutely appalling. Somebody goes to work at his job interfacing with the public and someone with gun goes inside with not only intent but the willingness to pull out a firearm and kill this person? What the hell is this today a commonality accepted as a normal condition of society? There is the meanest intent by a population of individuals that have been taught that this is an acceptable behavior choice? Because there is no parenting much less limits set for acceptable conduct in society? It’s everywhere you don’t want it to be, but yes this is now everywhere. Every time I see a MCP, or any other unit out there I worry about them. Every single one. When I drive and ahead I see they have someone pulled over on say 370 we pull over to the left of the car half lane to make sure others do it. I drive at 50-55 and I look to make sure that officer he/she is safe, always. Why because these people are willing to put their life on the line every day to save mine or yours and in the 2020’s now it’s compounded as a daily event in the news? These people and this person will indeed be caught and if convicted and not offered a plea deal will thus become a state tax payers liability for years. The Ten Commandments: Thou shalt not kill is one of the commandments for a just society. When I was a little kid there used to be a bank right by this location, two Montgomery Police Officers during a bank robbery were murdered in cold blood. It affected all of us in our region. To the point I never forgot that event, even driving by the location, and I’m old now. Just think of this person murdered as yourself. The impact is devastating. Did they have a family, girlfriend, friends, a dog, a cat, parents, siblings, we’re they working job and going to college, Law School or even Medical School? Could this person be the person who finds the cure for cancer? Maybe one of his children? The list is extensive for the damage done to that person, their family, community, and our society in its entirety. This criminals intent and willingness to take a persons life as their choice of power over others anywhere and at anytime affects all of us because it could have been any of us and just imagine you were just there to fill up for gas.

We law abiding, living a respectful life citizens that do care about others in Maryland have a new foundation and basis for being defensive about the lives and those around us. In this day and age it’s acceptable to run an errand or go to a Shell Gas Station and pick up a Cola and be murdered then it’s justified as being at the wrong place at the wrong time? The hell it is! So to any dirt balls here’s how it’s working now in MD, VA and DC and especially WV they are all CCW’s (concealed carry states). Your choice of criminal event and timing will be witnessed by someone else that will have the capacity and capability to end your life instantaneously. Their choice to commitment will be acting as your Judge, Jury and Executioner and better yet that person will 50% of the time be an Undercover Police Officer. Something to consider before continuing a path in life that ends up affecting your family and well beyond your current scope of decision making in society. My sympathy to the family that lost their loved one. You will have his last words for his killer.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Wasn't even initially a robbery. The video is sickening. I'm not going to post details yet, as its still a wide open scene, but it was absolutely senseless.
    Saw two MoCo cops bucking hard U turns around 3 at NH and Randolph. Soon as i heard about this totally knew where they were going.

I think it was Tom manger who said “Don’t stop at that McDonalds after 5pm, if i could get rid of white oak I’d cut my crime rate in half”

Stopped in there once at 3am (i go to work super early) when it was brand new. Ethiopian guy behind the counter made me an amazing bacon egg and cheese. I only remember that cuz i felt bad ordering it. He was the only one in the store and i know he was tired and now I’m asking for him to cook lol.

Last edited:

ebrew4

Sep 28, 2022
    Stand at the gas pump and you can see the police station. Everything on the south side of 29 is a free fire zone. The north side has held up private homes and still is reasonably safe. The shopping center is horrible. People park in the fire lanes, sub standard chian store, vulgar language, and the constant smell of dope. Daytime was risky, night time is a big NO. Back in the 70s it was good. Sears bowling alley, some decent restaurants, long since closed. Nothing there now except trouble and now death. Spent 13 months in Vietnam didn't get killed there, I'll be damn if I get killed getting gas or a loaf of bread!

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Suspect in custody

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
    So despite the difference in alleged crimes comitted, as compared to Andy, how soon do you think this guy is back on the streets? Some tongue in cheek there but also a serious question. Maryland, and MoCo in particular, are so backwards in thinking that I could see this guy having a better chance of seeing the street than Andy.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Stand at the gas pump and you can see the police station. Everything on the south side of 29 is a free fire zone. The north side has held up private homes and still is reasonably safe. The shopping center is horrible. People park in the fire lanes, sub standard chian store, vulgar language, and the constant smell of dope. Daytime was risky, night time is a big NO. Back in the 70s it was good. Sears bowling alley, some decent restaurants, long since closed. Nothing there now except trouble and now death. Spent 13 months in Vietnam didn't get killed there, I'll be damn if I get killed getting gas or a loaf of bread!
    Briggs Chaney/Green Castle/Castle Blvd. are on the northern end of 29 in MoCo, and they are shit pits. Someone held up a store with a shotgun this week.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Briggs Chaney/Green Castle/Castle Blvd. are on the northern end of 29 in MoCo, and they are shit pits. Someone held up a store with a shotgun this week.
    That’s right over in Briggs Cheney they hit that lady’s store. Used to go to Chuckie cheese there.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I think it was Tom manger who said “Don’t stop at that McDonalds after 5pm, if i could get rid of white oak I’d cut my crime rate in half”
    That McD had good coffee and when I was a member at Planet Fitness I used to stop and grab a cup on my way home. I stopped doing that when the panhandlers got so bad that they were set up inside the restaurant.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That McD had good coffee and when I was a member at Planet Fitness I used to stop and grab a cup on my way home. I stopped doing that when the panhandlers got so bad that they were set up inside the restaurant.
    I used to work out there too but when i was in a drug unit so i went there at like 10am. Generally i felt safe there.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    My wife informed me that, "I stop there for gas. It's new and clean and there's always people around."

This is why I fill her gas tank on Sunday...
    Shocked!
    And we are always told that subsidized housing does not cause crime/decline of an area??
    If HUD shut down section 8 there would be a massive migration out of Montgomery County, landlords would raise hell and lose the investment rentals and property values would drop dramatically.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I believe it's White Oak, just South of 29, basically next to the Mcdonalds and across the street from the old hardware store that I think is now a storage facility.. It's a shame - I went to Springbrook and in the 80s would have been around there any given day after school, probably at the bowling alley, Sears, or Radio Shack.. I'd be scared to stop there these days.
    Duck pins. It's closed now too? I was sad when Tuffy's closed.
    Shocked!
    The subsidy goes to the landlord/developer. It does not help the "poor" at all. It greatly contributes to the lack of "affordable housing" all the do-good-niks keep harping about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom