• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Rough area. Sorry to hear of the loss of life.
    My wife informed me that, "I stop there for gas. It's new and clean and there's always people around."

This is why I fill her gas tank on Sunday...

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That gas station is less than 1/2 mile from the police station

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Has this been confirmed as a robbery? The only thing I saw was that someone walked in and blasted the worker in the chest.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    That gas station is less than 1/2 mile from the police station
    My pop's office was across the street from a police station, and when he called them about an issue no one came across the street to handle it, they needed to call in a unit on patrol to take the report.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Rough area. Sorry to hear of the loss of life.
    Worst part is, it shouldn't be. I grew up with friends that lived in the neighborhoods around there. Most of it is upper middle class. My friends and I used to call all kinds of petty trouble around those parts back in the early 2000's. Even back then, though, there regular drug sting operations in White Oak Shopping Center.

It's too bad. Those towers literally ruin the entire area. Pansa Llena's in that shopping center is some of the best authentic mexican food you can get anywhere. Used to be a regular after-work happy hour stop for me when I lived in silver spring.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My pop's office was across the street from a police station, and when he called them about an issue no one came across the street to handle it, they needed to call in a unit on patrol to take the report.
    Yea... its a police station, not a firehouse. Cops don't just sit at the station and wait for someone across the street to need you. They are out patrolling. If you stop by any police station at any given time, it is highly unlikely that there is an officer just sitting there waiting for work.

Even in 2022, when proactive patrolling is dead, we've been defunded to the point that we can barely cover calls for service, let alone be proactively patrolling, let alone just standing idly by, waiting to see if your dad needs someone to run across the street to check on him.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Worst part is, it shouldn't be. I grew up with friends that lived in the neighborhoods around there. Most of it is upper middle class. My friends and I used to call all kinds of petty trouble around those parts back in the early 2000's. Even back then, though, there regular drug sting operations in White Oak Shopping Center.

It's too bad. Those towers literally ruin the entire area. Pansa Llena's in that shopping center is some of the best authentic mexican food you can get anywhere. Used to be a regular after-work happy hour stop for me when I lived in silver spring.
    I worked at the Sears in college. I had friends that lived in those apartments. I worked patrol in that neighborhood from 2002 through 2014. I've worked investigations in that neighborhood since 2020.

The apartments on Lockwood/Stewart/April are mostly subsidized housing. The towers are mostly subsidized. The townhouses on Oakleaf... subsidized. The older Jewish community along Lockwood and Burnt Mills is middle class at best, hardly UPPER middle class. In the mid 2010s they put up some more expensive townhouses along April Ln, but there was a lot of MPDUs and still a lot more low income and criminal occupants than anything resembling upper middle class.

That square mile creates more criminal activity and calls for police service than the majority of upper Mongtomery County combined. Lots of problems there... you are lucky if you've never encountered any of it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

In front of a police station is the best place to commit a crime , street race , etc ( except for possibly 10 minutes at shift time ) .

172pilot

Aug 28, 2010
    I'm confused about the location. White Oak or Hillendale?
    I believe it's White Oak, just South of 29, basically next to the Mcdonalds and across the street from the old hardware store that I think is now a storage facility.. It's a shame - I went to Springbrook and in the 80s would have been around there any given day after school, probably at the bowling alley, Sears, or Radio Shack.. I'd be scared to stop there these days.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Good grief. I was just there a month ago after seeing a client in that area. I filled up there because I was almost on fumes and the price was actually cheaper than at my place out in the "country". I grew up in that area. Just hard to believe it has gotten to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom