• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've never understood the magazine argument. I must have 100 firearms and almost every one takes a different magazine. There's a reason for that....they're different designs. Just buy yourself a bunch of magazines when you buy the rifle and BAM.....you suddenly have enough to last your lifetime. I have something like eleven for it and ten of those eleven just sit because I simply can't use more than one at a time! "Well wait a minute now...I can't buy that Luger because I can't use my Beretta magazines in it." The magazine argument is just absurd to me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    why wouldnt the vz 58 fail the feature test?
    Fixed stock version is fine. Folding stock and comp version is fine. You can get to the latter from the former pretty quickly.

I've never understood the magazine argument.
    It simplifies magazine management. I'd much rather have 30 mags I can use in 3 different guns than 10+10+10. It's not a huge deal, but I find that it has made my life easier.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I've got both and I'd take the FAL if you had to choose only one. Don't listen to any accuracy remarks. I can hit bowling pins at 300 yds with iron sites. That's good enough for me. As for reliability it's on par with the ak once your gas system is tuned correctly. I think the FAL actually is easier to break down than the ak also. The round is definitely supper kit as well. There's a reason about 90 some countries chose the FAL

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I've got both and I'd take the FAL if you had to choose only one. Don't listen to any accuracy remarks. I can hit bowling pins at 300 yds with iron sites. That's good enough for me. As for reliability it's on par with the ak once your gas system is tuned correctly. I think the FAL actually is easier to break down than the ak also. The round is definitely supper kit as well. There's a reason about 90 some countries chose the FAL

I am definitely leaning torwards the FAL. Just need to cme up with the dough now.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I've never understood the magazine argument. I must have 100 firearms and almost every one takes a different magazine. There's a reason for that....they're different designs. Just buy yourself a bunch of magazines when you buy the rifle and BAM.....you suddenly have enough to last your lifetime. I have something like eleven for it and ten of those eleven just sit because I simply can't use more than one at a time! "Well wait a minute now...I can't buy that Luger because I can't use my Beretta magazines in it." The magazine argument is just absurd to me.

its pure simplification...sure, there are exceptions like classics such as the luger, but you dont buy a luger as a serious tool, you buy it as a collectors item (regardless of if you shoot it or not). streamlining your gear is the easiest way to reduce drag...same as matching calibers, its just less to split up.

i still dont understand why there isint a stock that allows the use of standard pmags in minis...doesnt look that hard to me.

yea, different designs but the feeding system is pretty basic universally, so long as the feed lips line up where they need to and the bolt can strip the rounds it doesnt matter what type of mag it is or what rifle it is...not sure why designers have to try to reinvent the wheel...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Since you mentioned wanting the FAL as a precision gun, have you considered an M1A? Not to belittle the FAL any, but the M1A makes for an excellent precision shooting platform in 7.62.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Gunrunners in Frederick has 3 consignment FN FALs on the shelf. 2 that are full military models and one shorter barreled one. I know one of the military ones has 5 mags with it. They also have a couple of M1A/M14s in .308.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't own a FAL..... yet, but I own a PTR91 which is a clone of the HK91 and I love that gun. Easy to break down, eats any ammo I feed it, mags are DIRT cheap and plentiful, and as accurate as I am. Now I need to get a FAL to complete my .308 battle rifle collection...

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Since you mentioned wanting the FAL as a precision gun, have you considered an M1A? Not to belittle the FAL any, but the M1A makes for an excellent precision shooting platform in 7.62.

I'm torn between M1A & FAL right now.

Although I'm leaning towards the FAL, as it was the first rifle I was ever issued (and fired) when I was in the military.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012

Although I'm leaning towards the FAL, as it was the first rifle I was ever issued (and fired) when I was in the military.

What military were you in? Buy one and get your designated collecter license and buy the other one afterwards. M1A are just too cool NOT to own one.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park

why settle for one ? get a reciver for each and get them built later I am about to buy a g3,fal and 5 ak-74 receivers and will still have money left over in just the price of a fal

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    What military were you in? Buy one and get your designated collecter license and buy the other one afterwards. M1A are just too cool NOT to own one.

HaHa, I'm in the process of selling my other kidney :thumbsup:

I served with the British RAF Regiment (88-96)

My first rifle was the BSA L1A1 SLR (Self-Loading Rifle), before we switched to the L85A1 (SA-80) rifle.

800px-SLRL1A1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom