• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Well, like many of you, I am looking to expand my collection before October. Two guns on my short list would be a FAL, or AK. Any opinions one way or the other? AK is more of a cool factor/fun to shoot (I picked one up when I was in Iraq, too bad I couldn'rt bring it home). FAL would be fun since it could be more of a precision type rifle. And something that is different.

If an AK, I think Aresnal is probably the way to go, but I am not sure of all teh other various makers out there aside from Century (which I hear is no bueno). Suggestions, tips, pointers?

As far as the FAL, DS Arms is the only reputable manufacturer that I am aware of. I realize this is the more expensive option of the two, but now is a good of a time as any to spend $$$$ on an "evil gun". If any one could give me an guidance on this, it might help me make my decision.

The other thing is that I would like to have and/or add a folding stock to it. I believe this is an easy enough modification after market on an AK, but not sure about the FAL.

Thanks in advance for your help!

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    all respect given, a FAL won't be a precision rifle. It'll be a decent battle rifle type gun, but they just don't have the repeatable accuracy to be considered a "precision" gun. You'd need to get into a custom or semi-custom AR-pattern 308 (or .260, .243, etc) for something like that.

That said, I'd put in an order ASAP and PAY for both. as long as you have a bill of sale, PAID, dated before 1 October, it appears you'll be GTG to take delivery on naughty guns after that date.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    buy both. take out a loan, use the CC, take a second job whatever it takes. If this ******** doesn't get reversed by the courts you won't ever have the chance to legally own one again while living in MD.

ZX672

Feb 21, 2010
    Olney
    I have a Arsenal SLR-95 (very accurate) and a SBR Arsenal SLR-107CR. I am more than happy with both of them. Stock piled on golden tiger and brown bear 7.62x39 when it was cheap and I love shooting my AKs.

I do not own a FAL, but most either love them or hate them. I personally did not care for them but I have seen some pretty sweet set ups. I would base my decision on ammo availability.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well, like many of you, I am looking to expand my collection before October. Two guns on my short list would be a FAL, or AK. Any opinions one way or the other? AK is more of a cool factor/fun to shoot (I picked one up when I was in Iraq, too bad I couldn'rt bring it home). FAL would be fun since it could be more of a precision type rifle. And something that is different.

If an AK, I think Aresnal is probably the way to go, but I am not sure of all teh other various makers out there aside from Century (which I hear is no bueno). Suggestions, tips, pointers?

As far as the FAL, DS Arms is the only reputable manufacturer that I am aware of. I realize this is the more expensive option of the two, but now is a good of a time as any to spend $$$$ on an "evil gun". If any one could give me an guidance on this, it might help me make my decision.

The other thing is that I would like to have and/or add a folding stock to it. I believe this is an easy enough modification after market on an AK, but not sure about the FAL.

Thanks in advance for your help!

VZ-58? You can switch from folder to fixed with one screw, drum mags exist.

Mine has a bonesteel arms drum and 4 rail foreguard.

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
      IMAG0056.jpg
      60.3 KB · Views: 295

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    nothing cutting edge or 'expert' about a hk91 clone build.
    Have you built from a LSC flat if so I would Love to learn and make a donation for your time lol. I am just saying for 1200 a normal ak is going for these days you can get 8+ different flavor ak receivers and get them built after the ban

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    FAL Para has really solid folding stock. A very nice DSA para is/was up at 2A Sales.

A lot depends on what round you want to shoot. I prefer 308 as it is more powerful than 223/556 or 762x39. Very versatile. And you can always get a 308 bolt gun for long rangeprecision work or as a hunting rifle.

I have some ARs but everyone should have at least one battle rifle in their arsenal.

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    VZ-58 yes sir - a great design and a real fun build - I was surprised by the accuracy.

AK - real easy build if that's what you want and yes the best part is the COOL factor - I'd rather have more accuracy.

FAL - so long as you understand they're like a thorough breed race horse - they can be great performers but they need a lot of care all the time.

Have you considered an HK or CETME - if your in a building mode they great to build and if you're not a builder there's still a good number of HK 91's and 94's around but they're expensive and well worth it!!!!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm in the market for a VZ 58; anyone know where I can find one? (Czechpoint - no Century lowers).

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I am not really interested in building a FAL, as a I have no time on one.

I will more than likely get an AR15 and AR10 upper before October for future builds. I spent enough time in the Army with one, and even got a quick one day Armorers class on it, albeit 10 years ago.

I got to play with AKs when I was in Iraq, I could probably get away with building one, but not sure if I want to chance that.

I'm intrigued by the VZ58 and the positive comments. Anyone care to give me more poop on hat and how it compares to an AK?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm in the market for a VZ 58; anyone know where I can find one? (Czechpoint - no Century lowers).
    Czechpoint says they're getting in a new batch in May. I'd just keep an eye on them. They're not getting banned, so you basically have all the time in the world.

The Vz58 is lighter than an AK and takes different magazines. It has less of an aftermarket accessory industry, but it's got what it needs. It is probably the superior gun, but the ubiquity of AK magazines (I've got 3 different guns that use them!) makes it less popular. If Czechpoint ever imported a redesigned Vz58 that took AK mags, it'd sell like a Mini-14 that took AR mags (ie, like nothing you've ever seen before).

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm intrigued by the VZ58 and the positive comments. Anyone care to give me more poop on hat and how it compares to an AK?

Simply put, it's everything an AK is and more. The receiver is milled yet the rifle is lighter than an AK. It's more accurate and shorter and it's every bit as reliable as one too. As a bonus, the same receiver is used for both folding and fixed stocks. All you have to do is unscrew one and replace it with the other. The whole process takes about five minutes max. It really is the best all around carbine I've ever had the pleasure of using. Here are a couple of pictures of it compared to other rifles/carbines:

P1090273.jpg

P1080026.jpg

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Czechpoint says they're getting in a new batch in May. I'd just keep an eye on them. They're not getting banned, so you basically have all the time in the world.

The Vz58 is lighter than an AK and takes different magazines. It has less of an aftermarket accessory industry, but it's got what it needs. It is probably the superior gun, but the ubiquity of AK magazines (I've got 3 different guns that use them!) makes it less popular. If Czechpoint ever imported a redesigned Vz58 that took AK mags, it'd sell like a Mini-14 that took AR mags (ie, like nothing you've ever seen before).

This! Mag compatibility is the only reason I don't own one.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park

why wouldnt the vz 58 fail the feature test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom