• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Thought I'd start a interesting topic (at least for myself) about some of the blatant false information given out by instructors during your ccw course for MD?
    Please don't take this as bashing all instructors because I know there are some great people out there supporting the cause. I'll list a few of mine from last week.

1) MD's ccw permit isn't recognized in any other state that's why you need our $150 extra AZ ccw package.
    2) AZ permit is good for x number of states including SC, PA and Florida. I replied that SC, PA and FL don't accept non resident permits and you could get jammed up if caught carrying. Was told I was wrong! Yes MD does have recip with SC so you're good there!
    3)Only one handgun every 30 days no way around it. I replied well or two at one purchase and wait 60 days or sign up for your designated collector and buy all you want. Was told not everyone qualifies to be a collector.

After this, I stfu and did the minimum needed to get the heck out of there with by qualification sheet.

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    That’s why I’m in no hurry to get a permit.
    I don’t know, understand or care about all the particular nuances.
    Whose right wrong etc, I have other shit to worry about instead of jerking myself off every 15 minutes because I can carry a handgun these days.
    If I’m that hard up I’ll carry a rifle or just stay away from some place where I’m likely to get mugged robbed attacked etc.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I was told you couldn’t carry while driving on MD Rt 295 south of 175, which also isn’t accurate with an HGP.

MD doesn’t have reciprocity which is true however the MD permit is recognized for holders in plenty of states, MD just doesn’t recognize any others reciprocally.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That’s why I’m in no hurry to get a permit.
    I don’t know, understand or care about all the particular nuances.
    Whose right wrong etc, I have other shit to worry about instead of jerking myself off every 15 minutes because I can carry a handgun these days.
    If I’m that hard up I’ll carry a rifle or just stay away from some place where I’m likely to get mugged robbed attacked etc.
    It’s really not that complex- USCCA provides good summaries, recommend keeping handy on mobile devices.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I'm sure they were just trying to make blanket statements that are relevant for most people, but that is troubling that a class to teach for CCW is providing incorrect or misleading information.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    The problem is people get reciprocity and honored mixed up. Reciprocity (like reciprocal, to reciprocate, as in back and forth) means "State A" will honor "State B" and "B" also honors "A".

States do HONOR MD, but MD does NOT RECIPROCATE that back.

ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    The problem is people get reciprocity and honored mixed up. Reciprocity (like reciprocal, to reciprocate, as in back and forth) means "State A" will honor "State B" and "B" also honors "A".

States do HONOR MD, but MD does NOT RECIPROCATE that back.
    Yes I agree. I make the mistake of using the wrong termination when explaining the differences as well.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    OP, where exactly did you take your class? (I think I already know)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    OP, where exactly did you take your class? (I think I already know)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bet they also said that you need to keep your firearms in a safe otherwise you are responsible for all murders committed with your stolen gun. By the way.................. We have a nice selection of safes out in the showroom.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    If someone had a class where they were teaching things that are false they should name it so that others can avoid it as well. Its not helping anyone to keep them anonymous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thought I'd start a interesting topic (at least for myself) about some of the blatant false information given out by instructors during your ccw course for MD?
    Please don't take this as bashing all instructors because I know there are some great people out there supporting the cause. I'll list a few of mine from last week.

1) MD's ccw permit isn't recognized in any other state that's why you need our $150 extra AZ ccw package.
    2) AZ permit is good for x number of states including SC, PA and Florida. I replied that SC, PA and FL don't accept non resident permits and you could get jammed up if caught carrying. Was told I was wrong! Yes MD does have recip with SC so you're good there!
    3)Only one handgun every 30 days no way around it. I replied well or two at one purchase and wait 60 days or sign up for your designated collector and buy all you want. Was told not everyone qualifies to be a collector.

After this, I stfu and did the minimum needed to get the heck out of there with by qualification sheet.

Maryland has ZERO * Reciprocity *
    Several states * Recognize * Maryland's W&C .

I know , semantics , but in this instance there is a difference .

Reciprosity = Formal Agreements between two states .

Recognize = A state unilaterally stating they will accept Permits from state X, Y, or Z . Or even blanketly accept Any state's Permit . And they can also unilaterally stop * Recognizing * at anytime .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ! Paranoid Cynicism Alert !

Default Assumption - The Instructor is talking out their butt with any interpretation or paraphrasing of Maryland law . Any doubts , confirm with MSI .

Amongst established Training Providers , I'll go out on a limb , and predict the Most Bogus Info on W&C award will overlap with previous winners fir Most Bogus Info in HQL class winners .

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    ! Paranoid Cynicism Alert !

Default Assumption - The Instructor is talking out their butt with any interpretation or paraphrasing of Maryland law . Any doubts , confirm with MSI .

Amongst established Training Providers , I'll go out on a limb , and predict the Most Bogus Info on W&C award will overlap with previous winners fir Most Bogus Info in HQL class winners .
    It'd be worth a shot to name that trainer if anyone knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom