Eotechs, Aimpoints, Trijicons, Meprolights, Bushnells and Vortexes....oh my!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Funny you should bring this up, as I've been doing the same research lately. In that price range, I'd hands down go with the EOTech (I do already own a 556.A65). They're built like a tank, and very easy to use. Battery life has never been an issue (for me). Be careful though, there are a ton of knock-offs out there that are dirt cheap, but made like shit. AVOID THEM. Personally, I'm buying the Trijicon TA31RCO-M4CP. Built specific for the M4A1 (14.5" barrel).

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The new XPS are nice only other con I can think of is if you have magnifier, you need to swing it out of the way to accurately access the controls.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Lots of good info guys, thanks. While running somewhat morbid errands this afternoon I stopped by a couple shops that were on the way. Each shop was willing to pop various sights on an AR and let me check them out. I did not like the tube type or single small dot reticles. I also did not like the amber Trijicon reticle. Ended up with an Eotech 517. I like the reticle, the available anywhere AA batteries and the price.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    One thing to remember is to use a bit less illumination when making a precision shot. Dropping the intensity causes you to focus more on the dot & target. Better a little dimmer than a little brighter.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Go with lithium batteries and put dielectric grease on the contacts.

Lithiums maybe when the original set wears out. Dielectric means non-conducting but yes, contact grease would be a good idea.

One thing to remember is to use a bit less illumination when making a precision shot. Dropping the intensity causes you to focus more on the dot & target. Better a little dimmer than a little brighter.

Thanks, I kinda figured that out testing the various types.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Lithiums maybe when the original set wears out. Dielectric means non-conducting but yes, contact grease would be a good idea.

Thanks, I kinda figured that out testing the various types.

Yeah funny thing about the name but it helps keep contact corrosion in check. I use the grease on everything, suspension bushings on my car, flashlights, between stainless steel and aluminum parts. I guess anti-galvanic grease does not have the same ring. :D

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Go with lithium batteries and put dielectric grease on the contacts.

Also make sure the lithiums are rated at the correct volts. I have seen some lithium batteries that are labeled 1.2v as opposed to the standard 1.5v

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Yeah funny thing about the name but it helps keep contact corrosion in check. I use the grease on everything, suspension bushings on my car, flashlights, between stainless steel and aluminum parts. I guess anti-galvanic grease does not have the same ring. :D

Also make sure the lithiums are rated at the correct volts. I have seen some lithium batteries that are labeled 1.2v as opposed to the standard 1.5v

I wire spacecraft for a living and used to wire military stuff, to me dielectric grease is the non-conductive stuff used to keep connector weatherizing seals in good condition not what Permatex calls "dielectric grease" but I know what he meant. Might have to pop over to Mark Electronics one day at lunch and nab some contact grease.

Good point on the lithiums, second nature to me to check but others may not know.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I run mostly holographic and red dots with swing out magnifiers on carbine lengths. Con with these setups is light gathering through so many panes of glass.

OP, another con that is not getting much coverage is weight. The Aimpoint PRO with base weights 3/4 of a pound. You put a magnifier behind it and you are north of one pound of extra weight. These things are a matter of what people like or dislike, so reasonable people can diverge widely on it. Personally I greatly dislike a heavy .223 carbine. I got an Aimpoint PRO and read its weight before buying, but when I finally got it I realized that it's actually sort of heavy in my view. I would not add extra optics, flashlights etc to the PRO by any means.

Another reason to keep it light and simple is fragility. These rifles are supposed to be rugged. You start adding all sorts of things to it and it becomes more like a Christmas tree. Will a rifle with bells and whistles survive a four-day rifle class? Maybe, but chances that things will come off or become wobbly along the way increases considerably. Then you also have to ponder the use of loctite to keep these items in place. But if you use loctite, "you lose flexibility". You see, you can avoid this dilemma: keep it simple. And the money you save you can apply to a rifle class.

I personally find it unacceptable things going wobbly after light or moderate. Even after heavy use I may consider wobbliness unacceptable, depending on the case. Once I went shooting with my boss and he had installed a cheap red dot on his AR. After a few rounds the thing was wobbly. Obviously I couldn't tell him what I really thought: "Just drop this sight in the nearest trash can and move on".

Another story to share: I have an uncle who once found himself with a criminal entering his bedroom. He had learned the criminal had entered his home and he [my uncle] was arming himself with his shotgun. Well, the criminal enters his bedroom armed, my uncle pulls the trigger and the shotgun does not fire! I don't remember the exact reason, but in the heat of the moment my uncle either didn't chamber a round or didn't disengage the safety, and the 870 would not freaking fire!! The criminal, also scared as hell, fires a shot that hits a mirror in the bedroom and runs away. So my uncle, by the grace of God survived. I am not trying to hijack your thread, my point of this story is: Keep the defensive weapon simple.

p.s. - I am still a huge fan of the 870, but it's mainly because of this uncle's survival story that I am also a huge fan of revolvers. There is nothing simpler to use defensively. And there are revolvers out there that fire 8 rounds of .357 magnum.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am amazed at how expensive these optics are. You can be a pretty nice 4-16X scope for what what some of these cost. These products you guys are discussing are really effective no doubt; but there would have to be a compelling reason for me to drop $450 on one (i.e. law enforcement / security requirement / serious competition). Not sure a 1-4X wide field of view scope would be much worse; and less money. But I am relatively new to some of this and I may change my mind as time goes on.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I am amazed at how expensive these optics are. You can be a pretty nice 4-16X scope for what what some of these cost. These products you guys are discussing are really effective no doubt; but there would have to be a compelling reason for me to drop $450 on one (i.e. law enforcement / security requirement / serious competition). Not sure a 1-4X wide field of view scope would be much worse; and less money. But I am relatively new to some of this and I may change my mind as time goes on.

It's a different kind of shooting. You really have to get behind a properly set up red dot to "get" the difference. I hated the AR 15 till I shot one set up right and that alone jumped it to one of my favorite rifles, almost beating out the garand.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    OP, another con that is not getting much coverage is weight. The Aimpoint PRO with base weights 3/4 of a pound. You put a magnifier behind it and you are north of one pound of extra weight. These things are a matter of what people like or dislike, so reasonable people can diverge widely on it. Personally I greatly dislike a heavy .223 carbine. I got an Aimpoint PRO and read its weight before buying, but when I finally got it I realized that it's actually sort of heavy in my view. I would not add extra optics, flashlights etc to the PRO by any means.

Non-issue for me, my main competition AR weighs 17 pounds so this lil bitty thing feels like a feather. That and I have been compared to Sasquatch so any rifle under 10 pounds seems oddly light to me.

Another reason to keep it light and simple is fragility. These rifles are supposed to be rugged. You start adding all sorts of things to it and it becomes more like a Christmas tree. Will a rifle with bells and whistles survive a four-day rifle class? Maybe, but chances that things will come off or become wobbly along the way increases considerably. Then you also have to ponder the use of loctite to keep these items in place. But if you use loctite, "you lose flexibility". You see, you can avoid this dilemma: keep it simple. And the money you save you can apply to a rifle class.

Eotech, same thing the military uses, not worried about it being fragile. Loctite not needed if you read and follow the mounting directions.

Another story to share: I have an uncle who once found himself with a criminal entering his bedroom. He had learned the criminal had entered his home and he [my uncle] was arming himself with his shotgun. Well, the criminal enters his bedroom armed, my uncle pulls the trigger and the shotgun does not fire! I don't remember the exact reason, but in the heat of the moment my uncle either didn't chamber a round or didn't disengage the safety, and the 870 would not freaking fire!! The criminal, also scared as hell, fires a shot that hits a mirror in the bedroom and runs away. So my uncle, by the grace of God survived. I am not trying to hijack your thread, my point of this story is: Keep the defensive weapon simple.

p.s. - I am still a huge fan of the 870, but it's mainly because of this uncle's survival story that I am also a huge fan of revolvers. There is nothing simpler to use defensively. And there are revolvers out there that fire 8 rounds of .357 magnum.

I never said this was a defensive gun, that's what my 870 and various handguns are for. This is pure toy, grown up expensive toy but toy none the less. For the same reason I will eventually pick up a nice over/under in the $2-3K range.

I already have a 24" bull upper with a 6.5-20 Vortex on it, don't want another scope. My compelling reason, nice toy, see above.

It's a different kind of shooting. You really have to get behind a properly set up red dot to "get" the difference. I hated the AR 15 till I shot one set up right and that alone jumped it to one of my favorite rifles, almost beating out the garand.

Yep, just expanding my repertoire of things I find fun.

Since you are getting all that furloughed back pay, get the most expensive one :beer:

I'm a contractor, I do not get back pay.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    At 62 my eye sight is not as good as it used to be. So I placed an EOTech on my carbine and out to 300 yards a man size target is done. Someday I'll get an magnifier maybe out a little further. Chris

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    At 62 my eye sight is not as good as it used to be. So I placed an EOTech on my carbine and out to 300 yards a man size target is done. Someday I'll get an magnifier maybe out a little further. Chris

I will agree an Eotech helps me get the job done at 300. Anything past that I'd like some magnification. It is nice putting that little red dot on steel at 300 and listening for the ring.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I don't think there is a better medium range optic on the market today than the Super Sniper 1-6. It has true 1 power capability for up close shots and 6X on the top end with a mil dot reticle. The reticle illumination works well, and the glass is very clear. You really couldn't ask for a better scope unless you want to spend Schmidt and Bender or Leupold Mark 8 money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom