• mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    My 22 trainer

web%252022E%2520crop.jpg

My winchester

p1917.jpg

Nice Aussie trainer! My favorite Enfields are the trainers. I'm a bit surprised at how much they've jumped in value in the last 2-3 years. Not only getting harder to find but pricey too!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Nice Aussie trainer! My favorite Enfields are the trainers. I'm a bit surprised at how much they've jumped in value in the last 2-3 years. Not only getting harder to find but pricey too!

Agreed, wish I had bought several years ago.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Just Picked one up today.
    I know I wanted an Enfield. This one said U.S. Property and was a rear aperature sight which I was looking for. So far from what I have seen, all the S#'s match. Band on stock, bolt, magazine. Still have to look for a receiver/barrel sn?

The character of the paint on the stock and the fore end spoke to me.
    B12 and 55 is written on the stock and there is a splotch of red paint on the front..
    http://myrifleshooting.shutterfly.com/pictures/166

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I also have a No.4 and 2 No.1's, but this is the pride and joy of my collection. It's a 1947 BSA No.5 all matching.
    N7TaLGd.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    What you have is a No.4 MkI*, pronounced "Rifle Number Four Mark One Star". The * or star variant is the North American production version, made at Long Branch, Canada and by Savage in the U.S. as part of Lend Lease aid. Roosevelt pushed the fiction that we were not giving away anything, but merely lending it, hence the "US Property" marks.

The "Star" variant has a slightly simplified bolt release. Rather than the little spring-loaded clip which has to be released to remove the bolt of the No4MkI, the MkI* has a short gap in the bolt-head rail on the right side of the receiver. To remove the bolt, you just line up the head with that gap, then disengage it by turning it up. You can see the spring loaded latch or clip on the receiver rail of my No4MkI in my photo.

It looks like your numbers do match. That one on the left side is the receiver number, and I don't believe there is one on the barrel. It's nice to have the matching magazine. My No4MkI matches, but the magazine on my Savage No4MkI* has three or four numbers crossed out.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    thx.
    Anything else I should look at on it?
    BTW, reading how red paint on Receiver may denote a trashed rifle but nothing is clear on the subject with the red on the front of the stock band. Still, though, has me wondering if I got me a wall hanger.

VERY nice rifles guys! Here is what I have so far. The rifles shoot great. I haven't fired the revolvers yet.

1915 BSA No.1 Mk III
    1944 Lithgow No.1 MK III*
    1943 Long Branch No.4 MK I*
    Savage US Property Marked No.4 MK I*
    1940 Enfield No.2 MKI* - 1940 DI* - 1941 DI* - 1944 DI**

Attachments

• s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      132.1 KB · Views: 270

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    thx.
    Anything else I should look at on it?
    BTW, reading how red paint on Receiver may denote a trashed rifle but nothing is clear on the subject with the red on the front of the stock band. Still, though, has me wondering if I got me a wall hanger.

i am a newb when it comes to enfields but what i have read they have the enfields have a looser headspacing/large headgap than other rifles. the larger the gap the more the case can stretch. this could lead to case rupture and shorter case life if you are going to reload.

the bolt head can be changed out to reduce the headspace/headgap. from your pictures you have a #3. they made #0 to #5. but #4 and #5 extremely rare.

what does happens if you have case speration/rupture? everywhere i have read nothing happens except the case is now trash. but i have never had a case seperated on me.

check out this page it explains the head gap on the enfields.
    http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/3361

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/706061-post12.html

like i said i am new to enfields. i researched befored i purchased mine. i spent hours on the computer. there is so much information on the enfields out there.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If someone local to the ELkridge/Laurel area needs to borrow my gauges, my Okie Gauges just came in.
    Mine closes on the GO, NO-GO and does not close on the FIELD.
    I have a No 3 Head on mine.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My first Enfield, by Enfield, built 1917, English issued

enfieldleft-1.jpg

My Irish issued Enfield, with a polyurethane finish

smleff2.jpg

I have an Australian issued No. 1 Mk III, a South African issued No.4, Mk I, and an Ishapore. My Model of 1917 is US issued, and I have a P13.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Finally shot my Enfield No4 MK1 acquisition today. The brass shells looked a bit warped and I need to look at them again, but it shot fine I thought for the first go around. I was probably rushing the shots. Rear peep sight is easier to aim than a Mosin or my Swiss K31. I like the rear peep type sights. Not as accurate as the Swiss and more accurate than the Mosin. Now I need more ammo. This stuff is NOT CHEAP. I'll be shooting this nice and slow.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Finally shot my Enfield No4 MK1 acquisition today. The brass shells looked a bit warped and I need to look at them again, but it shot fine I thought for the first go around. I was probably rushing the shots. Rear peep sight is easier to aim than a Mosin or my Swiss K31. I like the rear peep type sights. Not as accurate as the Swiss and more accurate than the Mosin. Now I need more ammo. This stuff is NOT CHEAP. I'll be shooting this nice and slow.

I hope you kept the brass if it's reloadable :innocent0 PPU makes .303 ammo, I picked some up for $17 per 20 pre-panic.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    yes, I have the brass I shot. Remington. Was $25 per box of 20 at local gun shop. I ordered some Herters .303 from Cabellas yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom