• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I haven't seen a Enfield thread, so I decided to start one!

Here's mine (sorry I only have one - so far)

303fulllenght.jpg

1943 No 4 Mk 1
    :D
    Also what do you love about them?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I saw one the other day. I had no clue how to evaluate it. It said Enfield and 303 on it.
    If anyone has a good link they trust to how to evaluate one, let me know.
    Anything I buy, I want to be able to shoot.
    It's on my C&R bucket list.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Enfields? I'll play.

They are definitely one of my favorite rifles. In fact .303B was the first round I reloaded upteen years ago. I wish I had more than I do, but there are so may other rifles almost as much fun.

Here are my 1926 Lithgow No.1 MK III (my first C&R rifle for $79 ;)); my No. 4 Mk 2 that came unissued and mummy wrapped; the 1912 England No. 1 Mk III I de-Bubba'd a few years ago (I decided to leave the racing stripes on the replacement DP stock) and my Ishy 2A1 in .308 (Courtesy of another forum member). All are accurate and terrific shooters with my loads.

Gotta love Enfields.
    :D

Attachments

• SMLE No 1 Mk III (R).jpg
      SMLE No 1 Mk III (R).jpg
      28.4 KB · Views: 447
    • SMLE No 4 MK 2 (R).jpg
      SMLE No 4 MK 2 (R).jpg
      28.3 KB · Views: 497
    • SMLE 1912 No1.jpg
      SMLE 1912 No1.jpg
      18.1 KB · Views: 438
    • Ishy DSC05959.jpg
      Ishy DSC05959.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 444
    • Enfields 4 (01).JPG
      Enfields 4 (01).JPG
      38.8 KB · Views: 441
    • Enfields 4 (02).jpg
      Enfields 4 (02).jpg
      102.5 KB · Views: 534

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Traded off both my enfields, had a South African used Savage No. 4 mk 1* and a No. 1 Mk V trials rifle which I traded off for my Canadian M1905 Ross Rifle. Enfields are nice but I'm afraid their not too high on my collecting list, I'll probably just try to get one representative of each model if I can :D I would like to get a No. 1 Mk III, a rifle i've been putting off grabbing for too long.

Here's a picture of the No. 1 Mk V

Attachments

• DSCN0850.jpg
      DSCN0850.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 438

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Sorry, no pics of mine... But 2 1916 BSA MKIII*s, 1 with english service, re barreled in 37, and eventually to Greece. The other rebarreled in 1920, then to the 2nd military district in Australia. 1all matching 1950 no4 MK1* Longbranch. Late production,(1950 was last year in Canadia) parkerized (weird green/black looking, not like US military guns), and finally a de mummyed 1955 Fazekerly no4MK2. The finest military rifle I have ever owned. It was new, and it still only has about 100 rounds thru it. I have a hankering for another MKIII, may have to sell off my swede mauser... Still thinking about that..

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    here is my 1943 no4 mk1. i just picked up some sierra 180gr bullets for her today. the thing i like the most about the enfield is the action. it is so smooth. this is a good thread DennisCA

j8064- what are the specs on the reloads that you use?

Attachments

• IMG_1461.jpg
      IMG_1461.jpg
      148.6 KB · Views: 406

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Have sold off several but have kept 1/2 dozen of my best, mummy wrapped Irish contract, Ishy 2a,hand picked.
    Miss the days when nice ones were readily available.

Attachments

• DSCN0972.jpg
      DSCN0972.jpg
      100.2 KB · Views: 526
    • IMG_0870.jpg
      IMG_0870.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 411

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    ive got 7 enfields myself, kind of a rag tag bunch.

the 2 n the left are both 43 FAZ, the second one i refinished the stock on.
    the jungle carbine is currently apart, you cant tell from the pic but it wasnt in great shape when i bought it and its been a restoration project that i havent gotten around to finishing yet.
    the SMLE is a late production ishy, and those are pretty crude looking compared to british SMLE's but its a great rifle.
    the final one in the group pic is another ishy SMLE, but its one of those converted to single shot .410 supposedly for riot control, i got it for just $65 with a cut down stock, this picture is old, and its now wearing a really nice new stock and all the necessary parts to complete it.

the enfield in the single pic, is a 2A.

and the final 2 pics are of my no1 mkIII*, i bought it as a barreled receiver for $50 and figured i could build a nice rifle on it, the barreled receiver is just about pristine(thats grease in the 2nd pic not rust) with a mirror bore. the best part about it though was that when i looked at the proofs more closely later i saw the FF marks, so i hit a jackpot.

the FF marks stand for fiana fail, the irish republican army/political party.

those two close up pics are the only pics i have of it right now.

im actually thinking of taking the nice stock off my ishy shotgun and putting it on this and then finding a DP stock or something for the ishy. but i also gotta get most of the rest of the parts to build it too. obviously it will never be worth close to what a proper complete matching rifle of the same type would be worth but it will be a great looking and great shooting SMLE with interesting history.

i love enfields but my collection has kinda concentrated elsewhere so i never really got as many nice enfields as i could have, one of my biggest regrets was not getting a savage no4 from SOG when they had pristine ones going for $250, i kept telling myself id get one, but never did.

i would also sometime like to ad one nice complete SMLE to my collection, in particular i kind like the lithgows, but if i could find a nice early SMLE with volley sights and cut off that would be ideal.

enfields.jpg

enfield2a.jpg

no1mk33.jpg

no1mk36.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I like the ones with the rear Peep type sight. That makes a big difference it seems with the shooting to me.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    My Enfield herd is too big to show so I'll throw up some photos of the last acquisition: a CLLE.

Attachments

• IMGP6519.JPG
      IMGP6519.JPG
      25.9 KB · Views: 333
    • IMGP6521.JPG
      IMGP6521.JPG
      57.5 KB · Views: 336

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I like the ones with the rear Peep type sight. That makes a big difference it seems with the shooting to me.

That's the Number 4, the World War II version. There are three issue versions of the rear sight: a finely machined micrometer-adjustable (as in this photo), a simplified, stamped version, and a two-position "L-flip" sight. The last was a war-time expedient, still very common.

My Lee-Enfield close-up.jpg

Edit to add:

My winchester

Hey, hey... U.S. Rifles, Model of 1917 don't count!

... do they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom