• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Good video on tourniquets

Good video on tourniquets vs wound packing

Good video of when a pressure bandage was more appropriate than a TQ for controlling bleeding even though the wound looks pretty bad

Last edited:

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I would like to take this class but saw this too late to plan for it. I asked on their online form about when the next class might be and they responded fairly quickly with:

‘Probably Nov/Dec but not scheduled right now.’

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Thanks for sharing. Basic airway management and bleeding control should be core skills every civilian has.

Also, for those purchasing tourniquets online - there are ALOT of fakes on there, especially the CAT tourniquets. We've identified several fakes in my own classes in the past. I highly recommend buying direct from the distributor. If you purchase on amazon, check that the product is coming from the distributors store front and not some random store or amazon warehouse.

Good video on fake CATs. The fake one looks pretty close to the real one but it started ripping as it was being tightened. Probably would not work in an arterial bleeding situation.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Good video on fake CATs. The fake one looks pretty close to the real one but it started ripping as it was being tightened. Probably would not work in an arterial bleeding situation.

May be a couple bucks more but it's worth buying from known source vendors.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Agreed 100%. Real NAR brand CATs are +/- $30 or so. You can buy two packs of fake CATs on Amazon for under $15. If the price is too good to be true, it is.
    Full disclosure: I buy snap on tools, off the truck. So take my opinions on purchases with a shot of penicillin!

I treat even the basic med stuff I have and know how to use like a carry gun: it needs to be reliable because life may depend on it.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Exactly. The problem is that they are tough to identify until they are actually used. These are not items you will typically test before tossing into a first aid pack. The cost of a real CAT tourniquet is someone's life...

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Got an extra bleeding control kit for my wife’s car from North American Rescue, also got at extra CAT while I was at it.

IMG_8498.jpeg

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I would like to take this class but saw this too late to plan for it. I asked on their online form about when the next class might be and they responded fairly quickly with:

‘Probably Nov/Dec but not scheduled right now.’

I just messaged them and I'm betting I get the same response then.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Registration link

8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
    This is a HANDS ON emergency medical training course taught by a law enforcement officer/paramedic that emphasizes the history of casualty care, trauma assessment, wound care, hemorrhage control, tourniquet use, and other life sustaining concepts. This is NOT a CPR course.
    There are no prerequisites for attending.
    Course topics will include the following:
    History of tactical combat care
    Causes of field mortality
    Zones of care
    Survival Mindset
    Trauma Assessment
    Terminal Ballistics
    Hemorrhage control with an emphasis on tourniquet use • Basic airway management • Patient evacuation • Transferring care to Police/EMS • Creating an Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)
    Students will be exposed to simulated blood and will be applying tourniquets to themselves and others.
    Tuition of $150 includes a Generation 7 CAT tourniquet as well as other Individual First-aid Kit (IFAK) supplies (chest seal, shears, gloves, gauze a $75 value).
    Space is limited

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Registration link

8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
    This is a HANDS ON emergency medical training course taught by a law enforcement officer/paramedic that emphasizes the history of casualty care, trauma assessment, wound care, hemorrhage control, tourniquet use, and other life sustaining concepts. This is NOT a CPR course.
    There are no prerequisites for attending.
    Course topics will include the following:
    History of tactical combat care
    Causes of field mortality
    Zones of care
    Survival Mindset
    Trauma Assessment
    Terminal Ballistics
    Hemorrhage control with an emphasis on tourniquet use • Basic airway management • Patient evacuation • Transferring care to Police/EMS • Creating an Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)
    Students will be exposed to simulated blood and will be applying tourniquets to themselves and others.
    Tuition of $150 includes a Generation 7 CAT tourniquet as well as other Individual First-aid Kit (IFAK) supplies (chest seal, shears, gloves, gauze a $75 value).
    Space is limited
    Thanks for posting. Going to try to get day off and attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom