• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Since my email about SB 281 I've gotten the following:

Autoreplies: Kathy Szeliga, Michael Busch, Glen Glass, Christopher Shank, Kathleen Dumais, Geraldi Valentino-Smith, Melony Griffith, Kris Valderrama, Herb McMillian, Wayne Norman, and Victor Ramirez.

Pro 2A responses:
    Kevin Kelly, Warren Miller, Cathy Vitale, Michael Hough, Rick Impallaria (who mentions MSI and AGC), Nancy Stocksdale, Don Dwyer, Mike McDermott, Justin Ready,

Non-Friendly Response:
    Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. Your comments and concerns are important.

If you live in Maryland’s Legislative District 15 and did not already include your name and address in your original message, please reply to this e-mail with your contact information so that I may better assist you. Should you need immediate assistance, please feel free to contact my office directly at 410-841-3090.

On December 14, 2012, 20-year-old gunman shot and killed twenty children, six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School, his mother, before taking his own life. This was the second-worst school shooting in U.S. history and brought focus to the issue of gun policy across the nation and in the State of Maryland.

As a community, we need to pause, reflect, learn from this tragedy and work together to keep our state safe with improved mental health services, common sense gun laws, and instituting more effective policing strategies. If we are to reverse the tide of violence, the principles of nonviolence must be taught and practiced in our homes, schools and communities. During the 2013 Legislative Session, I look forward to working with my colleagues in the Maryland General Assembly to explore ways we can improve public safety for all.

To learn more about the Maryland General Assembly, please visit: mgaleg.maryland.gov.

It is an honor to serve you and to serve with District 15 representatives, Senator Rob Garagiola and Delegates Kathleen Dumais and Brian Feldman. Thank you again for contacting my office and exercising your civic duty. Our democracy works best when citizens, like you, are actively involved

Best Regards,
    Aruna Miller
    Maryland Legislative District 15-Montgomery County
    House Office Building (HOB) Room 225
    Annapolis, Maryland 21401

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Good idea OneshOt, thanks for posting.

Here is a canned response I have used:

"Dear---------;

Thank you for your letter.

I was dismayed to read that you favor “gun control” as envisioned by Governor O'Malley. I remain hopeful that you, the Governor and others sharing your views will objectively study the issues and move your collective support to legislation based on fact* and law** rather than emotion.

Regards
    Jack Cooper

* For those who wish to have an informed opinion about Firearms legislation ... this Harvard article is the minimum reading requirement.
    . http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

**Second Amendment of the United States Constitution. "

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I get tired of seeing the "Reply with your address" bullschit.

What they do effects EVERYONE in the state, it kind of blows that the most reasonable and realistic Delagates come from the least populated areas (Cecil, Kent, Harford, QA).

We get screwed the most, and have arguably the most pro-2a reps.

I've replied to most of mine, stating that just because I am not in your district doesn't mean my opinions aren't widely shared.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I get tired of seeing the "Reply with your address" bullschit.

What they do effects EVERYONE in the state, it kind of blows that the most reasonable and realistic Delagates come from the least populated areas (Cecil, Kent, Harford, QA).

We get screwed the most, and have arguably the most pro-2a reps.

I've replied to most of mine, stating that just because I am not in your district doesn't mean my opinions aren't widely shared.

It's a common 'punt'...

Right up there with "I'm not on that committee"

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    FROM Frosh:
    Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about gun
    > violence legislation.
    >
    > After the tragic shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, I believe that
    > we must act to protect our children, our families, and our
    > communities from gun violence. That is why I plan to support
    > Governor O'Malley's proposals aimed at reducing gun violence in
    > Maryland.
    >
    > Marylanders need not fear that the legislature will ignore their
    > constitutional right to bear arms. However, I do feel that we need
    > to give Maryland law enforcement and mental health professionals
    > tools that will help them keep all of our citizens safe.
    >
    > While we may disagree on this issue, I appreciate having the benefit
    > of your views. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of
    > assistance in the future.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Brian Frosh

And a Reply to Frosh (and others)

Dear Senator:
    Thank you for your reply. We assure you. while we may
    not be on the same page, we are in the same Chapter. We totally
    support actions that will protect children, our families, and the
    Communities in which we live. Unfortunately, we believe this bill, in
    toto, does not measure up to the task as outlined in your note.

We have read the present version of SB-281, and while
    this bill has some very good points, especially those that reference
    tools for Law Enforcement Organizations and Mental Health
    Professionals. However, many sections of the Bill are long on
    restrictions laid upon private law abiding Citizens, including harsh
    penalties for non-compliance, and very short on mandatory sentencing
    for Criminal actions using Firearms. We have very little use for
    "Plea bargains", which seem to be a favorite of both Prosecutors and
    Defense Lawyers, but create frustration in the minds of Law
    enforcement officers, and the Public at large. Plea Bargains should
    be "persona non-grata" in cases involving Firearm crime and/or
    violence. We are bewildered that so much emphasis is being placed on
    normal, law abiding citizens who have successfully passed multiple
    background checks, and have successfully filled in the MD 77R
    "Voluntary" registration forms to the State Police to secure Regulated
    Firearms. On the other hand, it appears so little in the bill
    strengthens existing Laws regarding increasing
    penalties for first time, and repeating offenders using illegal,
    ill-gotten Firearms in the commission of crimes.
    Moreover, in many instances innocent Citizens who fail to realize the
    significance of this bill, or who are tardy in fulfilling the
    requirements of the bill , if passed, are made Felons overnight.
    Surely that does absolutely nothing to meet the requirements you laid
    out in your message below. Regarding our children, we read the bill
    over and over, and nowhere do we find the words, "School Security" or
    "School Safety", or even the word "School".
    On the other hand, it is heavily laden with draconian restrictions on
    private Firearm ownership. We are NOT the enemy! We very much doubt
    that this legislation will do anything to reduce Crime, or to stop the
    of the Newtown tragedy. Like it or not, with or without this bill,
    unfortunately, we will live to see another such tragedy.
    While this piece of legislation in its totality may give
    you and others a "warm and fuzzy" feeling that you did "something", in
    reality it is, by in large, wrong headed, and is attacking the wrong
    group of people.
    We sincerely hope that you and your Sponsors will re-write this Bill,
    in a manner which, while helping Law Enforcement Organizations, Mental
    Health Professionals, and securing School Safety, also strengthens our
    Criminal Code as it applies to the Criminal elements, and recognizes
    that Law abiding, innocent, legal Firearm owners are not the problem
    and should not be the scapegoats.

Thank you for your time.

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    Dear Fellow Citizen and Patriot,

Thank you for your input. I thought you would appreciate my position on this issue (See below). If you agree, please ask your Senator and Delegate to support my legislation.

Godspeed,
    Mike McDermott, Delegate

Liberty and Safety Must Walk Together

by Delegate Mike McDermott
    The easiest political solution in response to the murderous rampage in Connecticut would be to point the finger at something...anything...and ban it to the abyss. We could then pronounce our children to be “safe” and accept the kudos for our “success”. Politics as usual.

We have thousands of gun laws obeyed by our good citizens while ignored by criminals. Most of our mass shootings have been perpetrated by those suffering from mental illness who were not armed with “assault rifles”. The massacre at Virginia Tech involved a handgun and resulted in significantly more victims.

In order to solve the problem, let’s begin by confessing that we cannot stop it from happening again. We cannot fix all the sick, broken people determined to do others and themselves harm.
    However, we can harden the target and limit our vulnerabilities if we become aggressive in our response to potential threats. There are school districts in our country which have adopted a proactive approach to security threats. Within their schools are certain staffers (known only to the administration) who carry concealed firearms. These trained individuals are designated as “Guardians” and they represent a vigilant line of defense for those we must protect. Like Sky Marshals, School Guardians remain behind the scenes unknown to all, but prepared nonetheless.

We can opt to provide less lethal technology, such as Tasers, to select staff within our schools. While their effective range is limited, they could provide a line of defense for those who currently have nothing at their disposal. This would require minimal expense and training and could be in place within a matter of weeks.

How I wish one or more of the staff at Sandy Hook Elementary had been a “Guardian” or equipped with a Taser. How differently might the outcome have been.

We must change the way that we view mental health issues and options in our country. We closed the doors on institutions during the 1980’s only to provide no alternatives. The results surround us and it is politically incorrect to even discuss the issues. If we see conduct or actions that place our society at an undue risk, the liberty of those individuals should be in jeopardy. We recognize this when it comes to passenger aircraft, and it is time we recognized it outside of the airports as well.

Preparing our children to take their place in civil society is the responsibility of parents.There are some who advocate taking certain guns from responsible citizens while simultaneously letting junior play the most hellish video games available night and day. What’s wrong with that picture? Training a child is the toughest, most important job if we are to preserve a civil society for the coming generation. In this, we must hold each other accountable. We must stop subsidizing and making excuses for antisocial behavior.

I will introduce legislation in the next two weeks which would:

Authorize a Maryland School District to implement a “Guardian” program;
    Authorize a Maryland School District to issue Electronic Control Devices to select personnel within a school;
    Authorize persons with Conceal-Carry Permits, along with Active or Retired Law Enforcement Officers (who are certified to possess firearms), to carry a concealed firearm on the campus of a public school.

It was Benjamin Franklin who proclaimed, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Let us be a people who truly understand how to provide safety while maintaining our liberty.

--
    Visit my website or connect with me on Facebook or Twitter by following the links below:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    In response to my email, titled "In regard to gun legislation, Del. Sheila had this to say:

That's right, an email with zero content. Not one word. At least we are apprised of her cerebral content, if not her opinion on the subject.

Nixon

Jun 28, 2010
    Dear Mr. XXXX:

Thank you for your letter regarding increased gun restrictions in Maryland. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns.

I sincerely believe that we must exercise a sense of urgency to address the complex issue of gun violence in our communities. Unfortunately, there is no one public policy that can serve as a solution. Any real impact on reducing gun violence will require a diverse set of policies ranging from enhanced gun safety initiatives, lessened access to firearms by criminals and mentally ill individuals, and expanded access to mental health services.

With regard to enhancing gun safety, I will be introducing legislation that will establish new criteria to qualify for a concealed firearm carry permit in Maryland. Gun advocacy groups including National Rifle Association (NRA) have repeatedly backed additional checks to qualify people for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. I have incorporated a number of these common sense qualifying checks in the legislation. With collaborative discourse and informed debate, I sincerely believe that we can develop appropriate policies that enhance gun safety in our communities while fully respecting the rights conferred in the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

The Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy has drawn attention to the role of guns in our society; however, we must remember that gun violence occurs daily in Maryland. Our State must find ways to curb the deadly threat that gun misuse poses to our children and communities.

Again, thank you for your letter regarding gun restrictions. Feel free to contact my office with any further questions.

Sincerely,

Bill Ferguson
    District 46

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    Annapolis Update #1 - Second Amendment Rights

It is no secret that our Second Amendment rights are presently under attack in Annapolis. The Governor will be pushing for anti-gun bills which will further restrict law-abiding citizens while accomplishing nothing toward making the public safer.

While I believe that gun control is the ability to hit where you're aiming, the Annapolis liberals define it as removing guns from law-abiding people. Even though their proposed bills may not call for it this year, their strategy in incremental -- a little now, a little more next year, and so on.

This is my 11th session as a member of the House of Delegates. Nothing I have seen over these years leads me to believe that the majority party will listen to us when we voice our opposition to anti-gun legislation. To date, I have received over 1500 -- that is, one thousand, five hundred -- emails from concerned citizens across the state. You are one of them, and I thank you for starting to fight for our rights.

But, based on my experience, I believe that this is only the beginning of our struggles. I predict that anti-gun legislation will make it through the General Assembly this year, and of course the Governor will sign it. You must be prepared to take any bad legislation to court, where we will face multi-year litigation to fight for our rights.

I hope I do not sound cynical. I think this is a realistic appraisal of our situation in Maryland in 2013.

In case you haven't heard about these organizations, you can follow legislation with Associated Gun Clubs, www.AssociatedGunClubs.org and with Maryland Shall Issue, www.MarylandShallissue.org

Again, thank you for being a concerned citizen. If it weren't for the encouragement of knowing people like you are out there, my job would be impossible.

Rick Impallaria
    Delegate, District 7 (Baltimore & Harford Counties)
    410-841-3289

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    Dear Second Amendment Supporter:

Thank you for taking the time to write me regarding your support for firearms freedom in MD, and your opposition to any legislation which infringes upon them. Now is the time to take action. The Governor’s gun ban bill, SB 281 has been scheduled a hearing at 1pm on February 8th in the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee.

It is imperative that everyone who cares about this issue take the time to attend this hearing. This is the line in the sand. This is your chance to appear in person to let the legislators see the amount of opposition they are up against. This is where it counts.

I have over 2000 emails from people demanding their right to keep and bear arms not be infringed. If every single one of you show up, we may have a chance of defeating the bill. While I appreciate the emails and letters, it is not enough to simply send the emails- you must be willing to appear in person spend a full day to have your voice heard.

Please take the day off, get a sitter, get a ride, or carpool- whatever it takes- we need you HERE!

You can simply come in a show of force, or you can come to testify. If you want to testify you must sign in at least an hour before the hearing begins.

Constitutionally Yours,

Don H. Dwyer, Jr.
    Delegate
    Maryland General Assembly
    District 31, Anne Arundel County
    410-841-3047 (office)
    www.delegatedwyer.com

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    A JOKE RIGHT?

Dear Mr.....,

Thank you for your email concerning the current handgun legislation, House Bill 38.

Although I am in favor for more restrictive laws regarding handgun possession, I appreciate hearing from my constituents such as yourself, to hear your views on the matter.

Though my position on this issue has been consistent over the years, the recent tragedies we have experienced this year; in the movie theater in Colorado; the Sikh temple in Wisconsin; or the elementary school in Connecticut, have helped to finally bring this issue to the forefront. Though I do not believe that such weapons are solely responsible for these acts, the ease to which such military-grade weapons have been easily available for purchase to the general public have certainly contributed to them.

I have never been opposed to citizens owning guns, hunting, or engaging in other shooting sports. However, I believe that reasonable controls are necessary to ensure the safety and well-being of the public.

So, as a result, I have consistently opposed concealed carry laws in Maryland, and will again, support legislation proposed to limit or restrict the ownership of automatic and/or semi-automatic assault weapons.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and always feel free to contact me with your thoughts and concerns.

Sincerely,
    Del. Kirill Reznik

AMAZING! Get me a trash bucket so I can PUKE!:puke:

A POSITIVE EMAIL!

January 21, 2013

Please be assured that I strongly believe in Second Amendment rights and will not support legislation that in any way will weaken it.

Thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Nancy R. Stocksdale
    Delegate, District 5-A

322 Lowe House Office Building
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    410-841-3077 - office
    410-841-3241 – fax

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    E-mail compilation

This is a compilation of the info in this thread plus any sponsors of the Senate bill that haven't replied to e-mails were added to the "anti-2A" list.

Maybe this will help us focus our e-mails/letters/phone calls.

Support 2A
    Del. Gail Bates
    Del. Joseph Boteler III
    Del. Eric M. Bromwell
    Del. John Cluster, Jr
    Del. Don Dwyer
    Del. Mark Fisher
    Del. Glen Glass
    Del. Stephen S. Hershey, Jr.
    Del. Michael J. Hough
    Del. Rick Impallaria
    Del. Wade Kach
    Del. Kevin Kelly
    Del. Susan Krebs
    Del. Susan McComas
    Del. Mike McDermott
    Del. Pat McDonough
    Del. Herb McMillan
    Del Warren Miller
    Del. Neil Parott
    Del. Justin Ready
    Del. Steve Schuh
    Del. Kelly M. Schulz
    Del. Michael D. Smigiel
    Del. Donna Stifler
    Del. Nancy R. Stocksdale
    Del. Kathy Szeliga
    Del. Cathy Vitale

Sen. Nancy Jacobs
    Sen. Katherine Klausmeier
    Sen. Edward R. Reilly
    Sen. Christopher B. Shank
    Sen. Norman Stone

Mixed Message/Non-answer (they responded in political double talk/mumbo jumbo)
    Del. Pamela G. Beidle
    Del. Michael E. Busch
    Del. Rudolph C. Cane
    Del. Bill Frank (leans against ban/fingerprinting)
    Del. Mary-Dulany James (prob anti)
    Del. Nick Kipke
    Del. Mary Ann Love
    Del. Brian K. McHale
    Del. Sonny Minnick
    Del. Peter F. Murphy
    Del. Shirley Nathan- Pulliam
    Del. Joseline A. Peña-Melnyk
    Del. David Rudolph
    Del. Luiz Simmons
    Del. Ted Sophocleus (prob anti)
    Del. Geraldine Valentino-Smith

Sen. Richard F. Colburn (prob anti)
    Sen. James "Ed" DeGrange, Sr.

Anti 2A/currently favoring “gun control”
    Del. Jon Cardin
    Del. Eric G. Luedtke
    Del. Maggie McIntosh
    Del. Aruna Miller
    Del. Kirill Reznik
    Del. Frank S. Turner

Sen. Joanne Benson
    Sen. Joan Carter Conway
    Sen. Ulysses Currie
    Sen. Bill Ferguson
    Sen. Jennie M. Forehand
    Sen. Brian Frosh
    Sen. Lisa A. Gladden
    Sen. Delores G. Kelley
    Sen. Nancy J. King
    Sen. Richard S. Madaleno
    Sen. Roger Manno
    Sen. Karen S. Montgomery
    Sen. Douglas J. J. Peters
    Sen. Paul J. Pinsky
    Sen. Victor R. Ramirez
    Sen. Jamie Raskin
    Sen. James N. Robey
    Sen. James C. Rosapepe
    Sen. Ron Young
    Sen. Robert Zirkin

iampiper13

Jan 3, 2013
    Emmitsburg
    Dear Mr. iampiper13

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the State of Maryland issuing new restrictive measures to own and purchase firearms. I am, and have always been a staunch supporter of America's 2nd Amendment rights and will not be deterred from my position.

Maryland legislators have an opportunity to fully review the events that lead to the horrific shootings in Newtown, CT. However, reactionary legislation is never an effective method of creating good policy. I truly believe that we have an opportunity to discuss, in a public forum, the effects of mental illness on our society as a whole. We need to be able to remove the stigma of mental health issues so that proper treatment can be received, thus creating a reduced risk of violence - of any kind. A reduction in the hurdles of obtaining care should be a top priority in our state.

It is quite obvious that our state and our nation will be battling to maintain our Constitutional rights and freedoms over the next several months. This will be, perhaps, the toughest battle on this issue that we have faced in decades. Here in Annapolis, we are working with stakeholders on the national level to be able to provide education to the public about the actual data and statistics of the benefits of legal gun ownership. Undoubtedly, we will need your continued support throughout this process. I will be available to discuss this issue or any others should you have continued questions or concerns.

Thank you again for contacting me and I look forward to working with you on this very important issue.

Best regards,
    Kelly

Delegate Kelly M. Schulz
    District 4A, Frederick Co., MD
    Annapolis Office:
    6 Bladen Street
    Suite 324
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    office: 301-858-3080 or 410-841-3080
    fax: 301-858-3028 or 410-841-3028
    kelly.schulz@house.state.md.us

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    Dear (DrBlast33):
    Thank you for getting in touch with me to express your opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban. I appreciate hearing from you.

I support the second amendment rights of Marylanders who enjoy hunting or who have firearms to protect themselves. Yet, I strongly believe that assault weapons do not belong on our streets and are a threat to communities across our nation. Eliminating such powerful weapons from the streets will help reduce violent crimes, including crimes against law enforcement officers.

Several law enforcement organizations including the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators, the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Women in Federal Law Enforcement, and the Police Foundation have supported this ban. I want you to know that my support for limited and common sense gun control, like the Assault Weapons Ban, does not diminish my support for Second Amendment rights.

Again, thanks for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I didn't expect anything differently from Babs.
    ____

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for getting in touch with me to express your opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban. I appreciate hearing from you.

I support the second amendment rights of Marylanders who enjoy hunting or who have firearms to protect themselves. Yet, I strongly believe that assault weapons do not belong on our streets and are a threat to communities across our nation. Eliminating such powerful weapons from the streets will help reduce violent crimes, including crimes against law enforcement officers.

Several law enforcement organizations including the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators, the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Women in Federal Law Enforcement, and the Police Foundation have supported this ban. I want you to know that my support for limited and common sense gun control, like the Assault Weapons Ban, does not diminish my support for Second Amendment rights.

Again, thanks for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you in the future.

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator

cantonglocker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 27, 2011
    Pasadena
    ____

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator

got the same

she got a scathing reply from me:mad54:

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Dear Mr.....,

Thank you for your email concerning the current handgun legislation, House Bill 38.

Although I am in favor for more restrictive laws regarding handgun possession, I appreciate hearing from my constituents such as yourself, to hear your views on the matter.

Though my position on this issue has been consistent over the years, the recent tragedies we have experienced this year; in the movie theater in Colorado; the Sikh temple in Wisconsin; or the elementary school in Connecticut, have helped to finally bring this issue to the forefront. Though I do not believe that such weapons are solely responsible for these acts, the ease to which such military-grade weapons have been easily available for purchase to the general public have certainly contributed to them.

I have never been opposed to citizens owning guns, hunting, or engaging in other shooting sports. However, I believe that reasonable controls are necessary to ensure the safety and well-being of the public.

So, as a result, I have consistently opposed concealed carry laws in Maryland, and will again, support legislation proposed to limit or restrict the ownership of automatic and/or semi-automatic assault weapons.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and always feel free to contact me with your thoughts and concerns.

Sincerely,
    Del. Kirill Reznik

AMAZING! Get me a trash bucket so I can PUKE!:puke:

Got the same email from him... sent him an email back about wondering if he understood what the second amendment really was about because it wasn't about hunting. Sad part is hes Jewish and should know from history what happens to the people that do not have the means to stand against violence.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    ____

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator

I got the same lame reply as well. I'll be following up with her reply here shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom