• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I understand the no trash rule. (At the risk of upsetting the non shotgunners here). We had over 14 squads go through a 5 stand course Sunday morning. Thats over 2k hulls in about 2 hours. Guess how many were left on the ground,...... zero. Know why? It's properly set up for the activity. Even if they didn't have trash cans, there were NO hulls left on the ground.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What they NEED is cameras, very very simple system including a license plate reader on the road coming in. I'd imagine that'll squash peoples urge to destroy things.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I usually bring trash bags with me when I volunteer as RSO. I take them home when I leave.

Sad to say, most times the bags are not used.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I usually bring trash bags with me when I volunteer as RSO. I take them home when I leave.

Sad to say, most times the bags are not used.

I do also and I bring a large push broom and a big John Deere taticool dustpan. I label the trash bag, "Trash Only" & the five gallon bucket "Spent Shells Only", seems to work for me.

I will sweep the spent shells and dispose of them when most of the shooters are downrange, but it irks me when they think it is part of my High-Paid Job.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I do also and I bring a large push broom and a big John Deere taticool dustpan. I label the trash bag, "Trash Only" & the five gallon bucket "Spent Shells Only", seems to work for me.

I will sweep the spent shells and dispose of them when most of the shooters are downrange, but it irks me when they think it is part of my High-Paid Job.

I am always amazed that people think we are paid.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I am always amazed that people think we are paid.

I think people just don't think. Mom & dad never taught them to pick up after themselves, or to leave public places better than they found them. And as an RSO (I'm one too, although at a different range), most people just consider you an inconvenient piece of furniture.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm amazed the new Multiservices (County building in Elkton) has a foyer that looks like an Embassy Suites including what appeared to be a 20' Christmas Tree this year.

I'm amazed we got miles and miles of guardrail on route 40 that no one asked for, wanted, needed,... or even knows why it was installed (that now needs maintained forever).

I'm amazed the County RAKES in property taxes at the rate that they do and there's still somehow not enough money to avoid having volunteers run a gun range in a State Forest.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The county does not fund the state park. Even the federal government relies on volunteers for some of the programs they put on for visitors. Many folks do not realize this fact.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Many folks do not realize this fact.

Self included.

If the County kicks up taxes to the State (and Fed trickles money back into the States), there should be a better way of doing this. I'm in no way saying there is an issue with the professionalism of any volunteer, just seems crazy to have to RELY on free labor to run anything in one of the richest States in the US. :tdown:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Self included.

If the County kicks up taxes to the State (and Fed trickles money back into teh States), there should be a better way of doing this. I'm in no way saying there is an issue with the professionalism of any volunteer, just seems crazy to have to RELY on free labor to run anything in one of the richest States in the US. :tdown:

Hey this is Maryland. I'm still surprised they provide a range at all.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I am surprised O'Malley did not cut off funding for the state ranges.

If being a volunteer helps keep the ranges open, I am all for it.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I am supposed to be the RSO on Saturday, 15 February, and it looks like it will be closed for that day, but with the tireless work of the Elk Neck State Forrest Crew the range should be open on Sunday depending on any snowfall Saturday night.

Please, keep in mind that is not just the range that is in question it also the road leading to the range. Safety in not only on the range but also getting to the range and getting home safely.

MDS will have an update.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You guys are hard core.

I love shooting at Elk Neck, but not in this weather. I'm a 20 degree man when it's hunting season, but target practice is 50 plus or I ain't a go'in.

And to the guys who observe and correct the knuckleheads, thank you. The range runs better with you guys there.

DigDug

Oct 21, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Had an epic day of shooting at Elk Neck yesterday afternoon. Took three kids, two of them brand new shooters and they got to shoot 5 different firearms. Was cold and snowing but couldn't have been a better experience for them. Shot right up until sunset. They were incredibly patient because it took us three hours to get there. We headed to Hap Baker first only to find it closed. Determined to shoot we traveled 90 minutes to Elk Neck. We realized though we had no target stand. A quick detour to Lowe's and we had a great PVC stand that worked great, is portable and reusable. Made sure to take advantage of the extra hands and we picked up quite a few spent shells. Many of them not ours. My first time at Elk Neck and I am looking forward to going back.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Had an epic day of shooting at Elk Neck yesterday afternoon. Took three kids, two of them brand new shooters and they got to shoot 5 different firearms. Was cold and snowing but couldn't have been a better experience for them. Shot right up until sunset. They were incredibly patient because it took us three hours to get there. We headed to Hap Baker first only to find it closed. Determined to shoot we traveled 90 minutes to Elk Neck. We realized though we had no target stand. A quick detour to Lowe's and we had a great PVC stand that worked great, is portable and reusable. Made sure to take advantage of the extra hands and we picked up quite a few spent shells. Many of them not ours. My first time at Elk Neck and I am looking forward to going back.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom