• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Most people, at ENSF, tend to police the brass that falls on the deck and shooting platforms. It's what rolls off into the mud, that usually goes un-policed. The brass containment boxes are being stolen by the local crackheads, as is all metal around the county. Copper gutters, brass shell casings, wiring, etc... heck they just caught a guy the other day in a crawl space, with a battery powered saws-all chopping the copper pipes out from underneath the house, while the owner was home! They stole the copper gutters right off my neighbors house, in broad daylight. As stated before, the locals will fill the dumpster with their garbage.

So, anything that can help keep the brass from flying forward, and thus keeping it on the deck, would help. Extending the deck forward, would also help, or adding a catch netting 5' - 6' feet forward of the deck, to keep the brass out of the mud.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    If you like getting a good long look down a few barrels, then weekends and holidays are the perfect time for a trip to Hawg's Neck. Might even wind up with a free ride to Union or Upper Chesapeake, if you're really lucky.

The only time I'll go is early, right at sunrise, on a weekday. The crackheads are just getting home after a long night's haul, and the undisciplined are still in bed.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    If you like getting a good long look down a few barrels, then weekends and holidays are the perfect time for a trip to Hawg's Neck. Might even wind up with a free ride to Union or Upper Chesapeake, if you're really lucky.

The only time I'll go is early, right at sunrise, on a weekday. The crackheads are just getting home after a long night's haul, and the undisciplined are still in bed.

If you have that much of an issue with the shooters there, why not join the RSO program that is trying to reorganize and become part of the solution. :innocent0

You also have a mouth so open it when those that have no discipline choose to show up. Or atleast contact DNR and have them taken care of. Everyone wants to complain about the issues with other shooters but none of them want to be a part of the solution. :sad20:

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    ..why not join the RSO program..

I live south of the river, and have no interest in spending hours in the woods while other people shoot. Time & money.

You also have a mouth so open it when those that have no discipline choose to show up.

Depends on the party involved. Most times, I'd rather avoid the confrontation. Personal choice, when I'm out in the middle of the woods with nobody around and lots of loaded weapons but nothing on my hip.

A few years ago, I approached three individuals who were clearly shooting their semi-auto pistol for the first time. The late-20s female appeared to understand how to load and shoot, the mid-20s male did not, and the young teenage girl was wandering around. It was only us four on the range. Twice I saw the male sweep the two females with the muzzle. I approached and asked if it was a new gun (yes), if they were new to shooting (yes), and offered some safety tips. I noticed they had not brought targets of any sort. They were latino/hispanic and had limited English, but seemed to get it. I left soon after.

Last year, I was treated to a long view down the barrel of a .22 AR pistol with a bipod that two white males in their early-50s had brought to the range. They pull it from the Pelican case and put it on the bench while getting more equipment. I finish my course of fire, look over, and see this black rifle pointed right at my head with four hands going everywhere, ammo out on the bench, a mag in the gun. I put my Glock 20 down and approach them.. "Oh, don't worry, it's not loaded." I left.

Third encounter, recently, three mid-20s males and a female, with about eight different semi-autos and revolvers. Some nice pieces. They were doing well, aside from not placing guns they were not using on the bench with actions open, muzzle downrange. They called for a ceasefire (because their target had fallen over, was not at the proper height on a stand). I approached and suggested orienting the guns downrange. The guy I spoke to looked and agreed. He told his buddy to do the same, who wheeled around and inadvertently pointed a revolver at both of us, finger on the trigger. Thankfully the action was open. I looked at him and said, "Don't point the gun at me." They left soon after.

Or atleast contact DNR and have them taken care of.

Ain't no snitch.

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    I appreciate all of the comments and concerns. We are working on a short term solution and a more long term solution is in the works to assist with the shotgun shells.

I understand everyones concerns about users and their actions at the range. Contacting DNR is not snitching when it can save someone's life or avoid a serious injury. Firearms safety is everyones responsibility at any range, not just one owned by the state.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    I appreciate all of the comments and concerns. We are working on a short term solution and a more long term solution is in the works to assist with the shotgun shells.

I understand everyones concerns about users and their actions at the range. Contacting DNR is not snitching when it can save someone's life or avoid a serious injury. Firearms safety is everyones responsibility at any range, not just one owned by the state.

You don't have to snitch. You can talk to them and show them the error of their ways. Most are receptive to such, especially if they are a novice shooter. For the hard core idiots, I still talk to them, but I wait until they go dry and I twirl my ball peen hammer in my hand, as I am speaking to them.

Johnny Utah

Jul 23, 2008
    I have been to Elk Neck plenty of times on the weekends. It's very hit or miss when it comes to reckless shooters. What I find even more annoying than the occasional knucklehead is a self appointed and overbearing range safety officer/nazi - which occurs far more frequently. Characteristics would include being in your mid to late 40's, fat, bald, loud, a hatred of any 5.56 rifle (unless it's a 20" HBAR sporter with a fixed carry handle) and a know it all.

I'm a responsible shooter and a safety nut, but even I wouldnt have the audacity to appoint myself the range safety nazi.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    I have been to Elk Neck plenty of times on the weekends. It's very hit or miss when it comes to reckless shooters. What I find even more annoying than the occasional knucklehead is a self appointed and overbearing range safety officer/nazi - which occurs far more frequently. Characteristics would include being in your mid to late 40's, fat, bald, loud, a hatred of any 5.56 rifle (unless it's a 20" HBAR sporter with a fixed carry handle) and a know it all.

I'm a responsible shooter and a safety nut, but even I wouldnt have the audacity to appoint myself the range safety nazi.

Audacity? That is why we have so many reckless shooters, because people are afraid to speak out. Maybe it's us "old, fat, balding" guys that are fed up with the kids and idiots painting them with their muzzles, because they lack self-control and discipline? After all, how do you think we got to be "old, fat, and bald". Oh yeah, and still maintain our b@lls? :rolleyes:

BTW, I do not hate 5.56 rifles, I used to sleep with one. :D

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    As usual Dead Eye nails it with his post. I'm old, plump but I have more hair that most, on my head. When it comes to MY safety or anyone else's safety I will not hesitate to voice my opinion, don't give a shit how big and bad you are I WILL treat you to a free safety lesson. When others see what I'm doing they will normally back me up.

Went to Elk Neck Range last Saturday with four really good people, one got there early and reserved three lanes. At about ten am it was not very busy, but it picked up as the day wore on. From my standpoint all safety regulations were observed, the range was called either "Hot" or "Cold" loud enough for everyone to hear and my party repeated the call. The shooters were friendly and asked questions and got answerers, cool.

We later migrated over to the pistol range which was packed, we waited a while and finally two of the shooters made room for our group, really nice of them. We also exchanged questions and got offers to try out their guns, I think given a chance most people will be cordial and friendly and safe.

The Elk Neck experience was fantastic, the people were great, the weather cooperated, we all shot great and the Range was wonderful. Congrats to DNR and others who help to keep the range in good order. One of our members did remember to bring a broom and dustpan and a trash bag, see we cooperated too. :D

Johnny Utah

Jul 23, 2008
    Audacity? That is why we have so many reckless shooters, because people are afraid to speak out. Maybe it's us "old, fat, balding" guys that are fed up with the kids and idiots painting them with their muzzles, because they lack self-control and discipline? After all, how do you think we got to be "old, fat, and bald". Oh yeah, and still maintain our b@lls? :rolleyes:

BTW, I do not hate 5.56 rifles, I used to sleep with one. :D

It's not a blanket statement, it's just whenever I see a person acting in such a manner, they tend to fit that profile.

While there are some kids up there that are reckless, I've seen just as many 30-40-50 somethings who are just as bad. Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. What I've found is the younger someone is, typically the more receptive they will be. The older guys are the guys are the ones who typically will never change a potentially unsafe behavior.

I'm all in favor of keeping the range safe, and when I see someone acting recklessly I will say something POLITELY. I don't consider shooting a round every .75 seconds (as compared to every 1 second), tinkering with an optic during a cold session, or busting a clay pigeon sitting on top of a target stand "reckless", nor do I require being screamed at by the self appointed range officer of the day. If someone wants to be a range officer, go apply for the job. Otherwise, stop sweating the small stuff, and go back to sighting in your bolt action, mosin nagant, or muzzleloader. I don't need you to measure the height of my target stand nor question it's composition. Why do people feel like they need to demonstrate their alpha male status? Because they can, oftentimes unpoliced.

The range is there for public use, and while there is the occasional retard who is a true danger to the range I can honestly say in all the years I have been using Elk Neck I've seen a person who fits that profile only a couple of times. Claims of being "swept" are something I've never seen, even when the range is crowded. For the most part, people follow the rules. I clean up my (and other peoples) trash and brass when I am there, as well.

Don't get me wrong, there are some "interesting" characters that go to that range. Two examples that stick with me the most are a fat guy who brought an 870 police to the rifle side. The shotgun was equipped with a top folding stock, a railed forend, a grip, a bipod, a laser, two lights, a breaching muzzle brake, an eotech, and a vertical foregrip. He proceeded to tell me he had his scattergun sighted in at 200 yards.

The other guy was a 40 something with a beer gut who looked like he was going to a Magpul Dynamics carbine class. He was wearing a chest rig, two hip holsters, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads, and was rocking a 20" A2 that looked like it was drug ass backwards through a Tapco catalog. He proceeded to sit down at a bench and fire 1 round a second.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm all in favor of keeping the range safe, and when I see someone acting recklessly I will say something POLITELY. I don't consider shooting a round every .75 seconds (as compared to every 1 second), tinkering with an optic during a cold session, or busting a clay pigeon sitting on top of a target stand "reckless", nor do I require being screamed at by the self appointed range officer of the day.

I was a volunteer RSO at Elk Neck and while I'm larger than most, I don't fit the rest of your profile. All types of folks broke the rules, from the 18-year-old know-it-all to the septuagenarian who claimed to be former military and/or LEO.

All three of those things you mentioned are against range rules which all shooters read and agree to as a condition of their permission to use the range. A polite reminder to follow range rules with an explanation as to its relevance was usually all that was necessary. While the "rapid" fire and clay busting don't pose safety issues, RSO or not, I'll be polite but firm in asking people to not touch firearms while the range is cold.

Johnny Utah

Jul 23, 2008
    I was a volunteer RSO at Elk Neck and while I'm larger than most, I don't fit the rest of your profile. All types of folks broke the rules, from the 18-year-old know-it-all to the septuagenarian who claimed to be former military and/or LEO.

All three of those things you mentioned are against range rules which all shooters read and agree to as a condition of their permission to use the range. A polite reminder to follow range rules with an explanation as to its relevance was usually all that was necessary. While the "rapid" file and clay busting don't pose safety issues, RSO or not, I'll be polite but firm in asking people to not touch firearms while the range is cold.

I can understand the enforcement of not touching firearms while people are downrange - if guns don't get picked up and touched, then triggers can't get pulled, and of COURSE no one plays with a loaded gun:sad20: However, the self appointed range officer of the day was screaming at a guy whose rifle was vised in (and action open) while was he clearly using a dime to adjust a scope - it seemed like overkill, as the man wasn't even attempting to touch the firearm (he was standing on top of it) beyond turning the scope a few clicks.

I understand why the rules are the way they are - because people bend them as it is, and if there was NO rules, well....that place would be scary. I guess its a letter of the law/spirit of the law sort of argument - and there are shades of gray.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reason for being so strict on target stand (and target composition)? My guess would be the trash left behind from busted target stands (wood holds up well to being shot). However, in regards to clay pigeons being secured as targets, it seems that considering they are allowed on the shotgun deck, they would be permissible as a target.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    I can understand the enforcement of not touching firearms while people are downrange - if guns don't get picked up and touched, then triggers can't get pulled, and of COURSE no one plays with a loaded gun:sad20: However, the self appointed range officer of the day was screaming at a guy whose rifle was vised in (and action open) while was he clearly using a dime to adjust a scope - it seemed like overkill, as the man wasn't even attempting to touch the firearm (he was standing on top of it) beyond turning the scope a few clicks.

I understand why the rules are the way they are - because people bend them as it is, and if there was NO rules, well....that place would be scary. I guess its a letter of the law/spirit of the law sort of argument - and there are shades of gray.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reason for being so strict on target stand (and target composition)? My guess would be the trash left behind from busted target stands (wood holds up well to being shot). However, in regards to clay pigeons being secured as targets, it seems that considering they are allowed on the shotgun deck, they would be permissible as a target.

Like anything in life, you have to pick and choose your battles. The height and composition are what they are to reduce the chance of ricochets. Too short, and your drilling in the dirt. Flat steel at close range, well you get the picture. Just understand that the rules are what they are because someone who didn't follow them either got hurt, or worse yet, hurt someone else.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, there are some "interesting" characters that go to that range. Two examples that stick with me the most are a fat guy who brought an 870 police to the rifle side. The shotgun was equipped with a top folding stock, a railed forend, a grip, a bipod, a laser, two lights, a breaching muzzle brake, an eotech, and a vertical foregrip. He proceeded to tell me he had his scattergun sighted in at 200 yards.

The other guy was a 40 something with a beer gut who looked like he was going to a Magpul Dynamics carbine class. He was wearing a chest rig, two hip holsters, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads, and was rocking a 20" A2 that looked like it was drug ass backwards through a Tapco catalog. He proceeded to sit down at a bench and fire 1 round a second.

Can't let the gun bubbas get on your nerves

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Johnny has a issue with anyone telling him what to do....clearly

Cold Range means no gun handling and that includes the scope attached to the gun...yelling at someone for doing so is over the top but asking them not to do it during cease fire is the right thing to do.

Shooting clays on the berm or using a target stand that is shit and too low is against Range Policy so just because you don't agree with them and somehow you are above that just proves the point of my observation ..... you have an issue with anyone telling you what to do.

Next you're going to start saying that you don't see the harm in shooting Pistols on the Rifle Range... :lol:

Johnny Utah

Jul 23, 2008
    Words......

You obviously didn't read my post there, champ. I don't have an issue with a person of authority telling what I can and cannot do. I have an issue when people who have no power or authority tell me what to do.

Shooting clays (or anything else) on a berm is dangerous and I never suggested I or anyone should do this. While the berms have rubber on the front of them they are metal and can cause a ricochet, obviously. What I was talking about what safely securing a clay to your target stand (which meets minimal height standards. I also understand the reason for minimum height requirements however I don't need a self appointed range officer to bring his tape measure over - my stands meet or exceed the requirements.

I am not above the rules, and I don't think I ever suggested I was.

However, I ask you - do you ever go above the speed limit in your car? Do you ever drive and text, or talk on a cell phone while driving? I bet you are guilty of one or more of these infractions - all of which are potentially dangerous to you and the people around you. I imagine you wouldn't appreciate it if, upon noticing you doing one (or more) of those activities, I followed you to your destination and then proceeded to explain what I saw, that it's against the law and for you to not do it again. Why is this? Do you not like people telling you what to do? Are YOU above the rules?

And as far as pistols on the rifle side - as long as there aren't people waiting (which there usually is) I don't see much of an issue with it. If there are people waiting for benches then obviously they should leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom